Breakfast of Champion Cruisers... what are your favorite breakfast options on Viking Cruise?

Liz Masterson

There are so many options for breakfast on the Viking Ocean vessels! What are your favorite splurge breakfasts? What are the quickest options? Do you have any special breakfast memories from your cruise? Best healthy options? Sea Day vs Port Day preferences? Is there anything you avoid? 

Quickest option: leftover muffin from the day before, eaten on the tender boat. 

Second-quickest option: room service. This was our default due to our stupidly scheduling early excursions most days.

Can you tell I’m not a morning person?

Favorite breakfast splurge: that glorious  Mamsen’s waffle. No contest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Second-quickest option: room service. This was our default due to our stupidly scheduling early excursions most days.

Can you tell I’m not a morning person?

Favorite breakfast splurge: that glorious  Mamsen’s waffle. No contest.

Leftover muffin! 🤣 I did not expect and answer like that! But when needs be! 

Yes those early excursions have their challenges. 

I am really looking forward to a Mamsen's Waffle when I'm aboard the Star in January.

8 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

That sounds AMAZING! Has anyone had this on any of the Ocean Ships or is this just on the Expedition class? 

I enjoy a sampling of the 3 herrings with a thick slice of black bread and a bowl of mixed berries from Mamsens.  This is probably my most unusual breakfast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

There are so many options for breakfast on the Viking Ocean vessels! What are your favorite splurge breakfasts? What are the quickest options? Do you have any special breakfast memories from your cruise? Best healthy options? Sea Day vs Port Day preferences? Is there anything you avoid? 

We like room service if we have an early excursion.  But just grabbing a muffin and a yoghurt is probably the quickest.

My splurge breakfast starts with smoked salmon and a couple wedges of brie cheese from the WC. Next trip I get a bowl of mixed fruit.  After that I check out the eggs of the day or just get the scrambled eggs, crisp bacon and a croissant with marmalade. 

Avoid?  Don't really like any of their breakfast sausages and the breakfast potatoes are meh.

Breakfast memory? First cruise and first breakfast in the Restaurant.  All 4 of us order the Eggs Benedict.  We waited forever for the meal.  Then our waiter comes out of the swinging door carrying our tray at the exact same time another waiter tried to go back through the same door carrying a plate of dirty dishes.  Waiters collide, all the food and plates clatter to the floor.  Amazingly our replacement breakfast was served very quickly with profuse apologies.  Stuff happens.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I enjoy a sampling of the 3 herrings with a thick slice of black bread and a bowl of mixed berries from Mamsens.  This is probably my most unusual breakfast.

That sounds different - must try that on my next cruise, followed by a Mamsens waffle of course😂

• Like 1

Eggs cooked fresh and to order.  Benedict.  Omelet.  With lamb chops.  Fried topping a waffle.  Whatever other strange combo comes to mind.   Not a room service fan; there's no proper dining table in the DV cabins and I'm not talented enough to eat from the coffeetable. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Eggs cooked fresh and to order.  Benedict.  Omelet.  With lamb chops.  Fried topping a waffle.  Whatever other strange combo comes to mind.   Not a room service fan; there's no proper dining table in the DV cabins and I'm not talented enough to eat from the coffeetable. 

We have been lucky cruising in warm weather. We order room service breakfast before a morning excursion and eat it on our balcony . the table there is proper height, though small, it hold  plates and beverages for two.  I also love eating breakfast  in Restaurant , when it is open, and love when they bring the plate of pastries  and the variety offered. I know they are also available in WC but having them served to you I always take one , but not the WC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

In a pinch I do leftover scone from tea—stuffed with butter, clotted cream & strawberry jam.

Favorite daily item—a tasty smoothie. Best splurge is a Mamsen’s waffle. I love the bacon in the WC and have it daily. Would have haggis too if they had it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I agree about the table... but I'm hoping that in January in the Caribbean I can enjoy the balcony. That table seems perfect. 

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

In a pinch I do leftover scone from tea—stuffed with butter, clotted cream & strawberry jam.

Favorite daily item—a tasty smoothie. Best splurge is a Mamsen’s waffle. I love the bacon in the WC and have it daily. Would have haggis too if they had it!

How do you store the leftover scone? I love that idea!   And I discovered those smoothies later in my first Ocean Cruise this summer... love those litts shots of joy!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

How do you store the leftover scone? I love that idea!   And I discovered those smoothies later in my first Ocean Cruise this summer... love those litts shots of joy!

I bring lots of ziplocks of various sizes and just put a fully dressed scone in a small one and put it in the room fridge.

5 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I might try that!

Anne - they are indeed good (the herring at Mamsens) !

Room Service:

On days with early excursions we do room service breakfast - always a real treat! We avoid anything toasted though, as by the time you get it, it's a bit soggy.  The fruit is heavenly and they make omelettes to your choice.  They give you only 2 check boxes for the omelettes on the order form, but we always "write-in" the ingredients we want, and they do a great job!   We avoid the sausages as well.

World Cafe - 

The good standby - except on days with many early excursions, when it gets quite busy/hectic.  We enjoy it on sea days - pleasant, quiet, and relaxing.  Lots of variety.  Eggs made to order.  Fantastic fruit and for us, perfect oatmeal (i.e. NOT runny or soupy), plus that baguette bread!   On Orion, Jupiter, and Venus, they had a separate window by the Aquavit Bar, where you could order any kind of eggs, plus other goodies!   And you have to often ask, but each morning they make delicious smoothies with different fruits.  Sometimes they will walk them around but not often.   You can also order the smoothies for room service!

The Restaurant -

Will never do this for breakfast.  Poor service, cold food, takes forever.  Can get the same things at World Cafe.

Mamsens -

Love all the choices!  And it is NEVER crowded.  Seems to be the undiscovered place.

Attirum Bar

The Pistachio buns and coffee!  (Note:  Clay is the one who brought this to our attention!).

Fast Breakfast

We go to the Attirum and get a pistachio bun to go and put it in a ziploc bag.  Or hit World Cafe and put scones or baguette breads into a bag.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1