Haven Sundeck and Children

July1963

We booked Norwegian first time for July next year on the Joy. We have since found out that children are not allowed on the Sundeck. This would exclude us as a family from this whole area, our Son will be 14 when sailing, only child and behaves much as an adult. I did have an online Chat with Norwegian and they said to talk with Guest Services when onboard. 

Has anyone seen children in this area? This may well be a deal breaker for us to the extent we cancel.

We sailed on the Bliss in June with a 14 and 16 year old, and did go up to the "adults only " sundeck a couple of times- there was never anyone there (this was an Alaskan cruise)- so I'm not sure who we were bothering- or who would have been enforcing the rule....  We used the hot tubs up there a few times (all 4 of us as a family)- and again at least when we were there we never saw anyone else in the hot tubs or even on the deck itself. But maybe that was because it was Alaska.

• Like 1

As others have said, it’s only the sundeck. Your son is welcome in the courtyard/pool area and all other Haven areas. This is our first cruise in December with our daughter being “of age”, but we’ve never felt like we were missing out on our prior cruises when she (and therefore we) couldn’t use the sundeck.

• Like 1

To be clear, the sun deck is only the area on deck 19, not the courtyard on 17.

I'm 33 now and sail with my own toddler now but I can tell you when I was 14 I had no interest in sitting on a lounger with my parents. I was out and about on the ship doing the teen activities and meeting friends to go get into trouble with. You know your own son best, but really ask yourself if sitting on the sundeck is something he wants to do on his vacation or if it's what you want him to do. 

In any case, if you really want your son on the sundeck my advice would be to not ask for permission and just have him sit out there. The Haven staff are not going to ask him to leave unless he's being disruptive.

In my personal experience, I've been out there with my toddler and was served without anyone batting an eye. If anything the staff would come by to say hello or bring my daughter a small treat. They readily tell us about how they miss their own kids back home. The staff genuinely like having kids around to break up the monotony of what is otherwise a geriatric care home in the Haven. They can choose when to enforce policies and when to look the other way but please understand that the staff cannot tell you it's fine to go against policy since that can get them in trouble.

Edited by dandelpino
  • Like 3

Realistically it all comes down to if you like to follow rules or not.  This is the same discussion that pops up all over these forums over a lot of different things.  

I look at it as there are hard rules and soft rules.  Hard rules have consequences.  Soft rules often do not.

There are many here who believe soft rules are mere "suggestions", to be followed or not.  I tend to be a rule follower for the most part, but that is just me and how I was raised.  So I would not bring anyone under the age onto the haven Sun Deck, no matter how well behaved they are.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Our last Caribbean cruise in the Haven there was a young family with two adorable children who sat directly behind us  doing homework, discussing their answers. I asked one server if they were allowed on the sundeck and he shrugged. He didn’t want a confrontation and neither did I. I should t have been put in that situation. The sign clearly stated 16 and up. Yes I know adults can be loud talking in the hot tub etc. but the ship has many kid friendly places. Please give me one without them.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, dandelpino said:

In any case, if you really want your son on the sundeck my advice would be to not ask for permission and just have him sit out there. The Haven staff are not going to ask him to leave unless he's being disruptive.

This is exactly what I was going to say as well. If your son is as respectful and quiet as you say, the staff won't have any issues with it and the other haven guests shouldn't either. I say shouldn't because you will always run into the people who follow every rule to the letter and will take every opportunity to complain and point out when somebody doesn't. So if this happens, staff will be forced to enforce it, just try not to put up a giant fuss about it since it is against the rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronRobi said:

This is exactly what I was going to say as well. If your son is as respectful and quiet as you say, the staff won't have any issues with it and the other haven guests shouldn't either. I say shouldn't because you will always run into the people who follow every rule to the letter and will take every opportunity to complain and point out when somebody doesn't. So if this happens, staff will be forced to enforce it, just try not to put up a giant fuss about it since it is against the rules.

Why shouldn't other guests have a problem with it. I am perfectly fine with leaving the Haven Lounge, Pool, Observation Deck etc. to avoid children behaved or otherwise. Just don't chase me away from the one area of the Haven that is designated no children. Additionally, the parents with the disrespectful children show up and get to say - it's Ok because other children are here - and we go down the slippery slope from there. Rules are rules and they are not meant to be broken. The rule is there for a purpose. Also it's not about the staff breaking up the  monotony of their job its about the comfort of your fellow guests that are following the rules. The no kids under 16 on the Haven sundeck is a hard rule not a soft one. Oh and I can say it this way you always run into the people who take every opportunity to take the edge for their own benefit over others and god forbid others complain about their self centered behavior. If people follow the rules the staff won't be forced to do anything. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you Beamco. I’m not a person who complains. I just suck it up. We pay so much to be in the Haven and hope that everyone observes the rules.  So we can all enjoy. I love my grandchildren but when we are together they stay in the pool area, the main pools, arcade, kids clubs, beaches on excursions. We are treating them to Williamsburg and Disney. They will not be on the adult only sundeck.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, dandelpino said:

To be clear, the sun deck is only the area on deck 19, not the courtyard on 17.

I'm 33 now and sail with my own toddler now but I can tell you when I was 14 I had no interest in sitting on a lounger with my parents. I was out and about on the ship doing the teen activities and meeting friends to go get into trouble with. You know your own son best, but really ask yourself if sitting on the sundeck is something he wants to do on his vacation or if it's what you want him to do. 

In my personal experience, I've been out there with my toddler and was served without anyone batting an eye. If anything the staff would come by to say hello or bring my daughter a small treat. They readily tell us about how they miss their own kids back home. The staff genuinely like having kids around to break up the monotony of what is otherwise a geriatric care home in the Haven. They can choose when to enforce policies and when to look the other way but please understand that the staff cannot tell you it's fine to go against policy since that can get them in trouble.

Very well stated. No one, guests or staff, have a problem except if children are rude or disruptive to other guests. If I remember correctly, as a teenager, the last thing I wanted to do was hang out with my parents.

Edited by kitty-sail
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, detroitlions said:

They should probably just call this a quiet zone instead of adult only. When my son was young no one ever bothered me about his age all be it he hardly ever wanted to sit in the loungers.

I miss the days of the "Freestyle" Decks on the Jewel class ships. I think it was nobody under 18 or 21

• Haha 1

I only have a problem if the child is three or under. I know my opinion is unpopular and apparently everyone ooohs and awwws and fawns over little toddler creatures, but I'd prefer not to hear them screaming, laughing, giggling and don't get me started on watching them spit up on someone. That's just gross! And yes, if my husband and I adopt, it'll be a child that's at least three and house broken. 

Otherwise, I don't mind kids on the Haven deck, but the rule is 16 and up. Don't put a guest or crew member in the awkward position of asking your child's age. Unlike others have said, that's not good parenting. It's teaching your child that it's ok to bend/break the rules, and likely not suffer repercussions, because the crew doesn't want to get into an altercation. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I only have a problem if the child is three or under. I know my opinion is unpopular and apparently everyone ooohs and awwws and fawns over little toddler creatures, but I'd prefer not to hear them screaming, laughing, giggling and don't get me started on watching them spit up on someone. That's just gross! And yes, if my husband and I adopt, it'll be a child that's at least three and house broken. 

Otherwise, I don't mind kids on the Haven deck, but the rule is 16 and up. Don't put a guest or crew member in the awkward position of asking your child's age. Unlike others have said, that's not good parenting. It's teaching your child that it's ok to bend/break the rules, and likely not suffer repercussions, because the crew doesn't want to get into an altercation. 

I assume you are joking about the adoption, as a mom of 5 they don’t become much less gross after the age of 3, many more years of illness, injury, general stupidity, many times I’d ask where the hidden cameras were because this couldn’t possibly be really happening (all it takes is one stomach bug to make it’s rounds…). 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I assume you are joking about the adoption, as a mom of 5 they don’t become much less gross after the age of 3, many more years of illness, injury, general stupidity, many times I’d ask where the hidden cameras were because this couldn’t possibly be really happening (all it takes is one stomach bug to make it’s rounds…). 

We go back and forth on the adoption thing! I was the director of a K-8 charter school, so I've had my share of seeing RSV, COVID, flu, etc...including being on my hands and knees scraping vomit out of a kindergarten carpet. Let's just say those classrooms no longer have carpet! It's really just the 0 - 3 year old stage that bothers me. I've joked with my husband that he can have them then, then I'll take over once they are teenagers as I don't mind teens (and he does). 

Thanks for seeing the realistic humor in my post!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We go back and forth on the adoption thing! I was the director of a K-8 charter school, so I've had my share of seeing RSV, COVID, flu, etc...including being on my hands and knees scraping vomit out of a kindergarten carpet. Let's just say those classrooms no longer have carpet! It's really just the 0 - 3 year old stage that bothers me. I've joked with my husband that he can have them then, then I'll take over once they are teenagers as I don't mind teens (and he does). 

Thanks for seeing the realistic humor in my post!! 

When we adopted our last dog, I wanted an adult dog, because puppies are babies. I almost turned her down because she was only 3 months old, but she was crate trained, housebroken and slept through the night. That was important to me. I’m also not a baby person, would’ve loved to be handed a 3 month old at the hospital over a newborn.

As for the OP’s son, there really isn’t much difference between a 14 year old boy alone with parents and a 16 year old boy alone with parents, hard to even judge on appearance.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I miss the days of the "Freestyle" Decks on the Jewel class ships. I think it was nobody under 18 or 21

There's nothing wrong with wanting that but I think NCL may not for you if you want extensive adult only areas. NCL has been a family cruise line years now. The water slides, galaxy pavilion, laser tag, and go carts aren't there to attract retirees. The largest and most expensive amenities are aimed at families with kids. There are plenty of cruise lines out there catering to every type of vacation style but NCL isn't going to exclude kids from entire decks when they spend so much money to get them onboard.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

THIS!!!   Especially the part about not good parenting.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

There's nothing wrong with wanting that but I think NCL may not for you if you want extensive adult only areas. NCL has been a family cruise line years now. The water slides, galaxy pavilion, laser tag, and go carts aren't there to attract retirees. The largest and most expensive amenities are aimed at families with kids. There are plenty of cruise lines out there catering to every type of vacation style but NCL isn't going to exclude kids from entire decks when they spend so much money to get them onboard.

I know all that, I've been on 12 NCL cruises