Live review - Reflection 10-31-22 TA

Jazzbo

Here’s something I just noticed outside and of Cafe Al Bacio. The lower half includes Bistro on Five, which the S-class ships haven’t had in ages. It used to be our favorite lunch spot on embarkation day. Now it’s Sushi on Five (and has been for several years).4BB60B37-BF14-4C49-915D-FA61DE0D0375.thumb.jpeg.18e63c0af80793319b381c941bbd2e41.jpeg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Was Starlink installed?  I know it was not scheduled but hoping the schedule was wrong. 

I’m not sure. We’ve had pretty decent internet. I’ll try to remember to ask.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NedScharpf said:

My wife and I are sailing on The Reflection on December 4 from Ft. Lauderdale.  We are excited but perturbed to read about the food.  The fact that they are not allowed to buy fresh seafood from each port is a tragedy.

If you have been following this review, you know I haven’t been happy with some of the food. But we have also had excellent food. Last night we had prime rib in Blu. It was delicious, but mine was barely lukewarm. Our server whisked away my plate, and brought me another in a few minutes. It was hot, perfectly cooked, and delicious. I remember one cruise when we had second seating in main dining. One of our table mates told the server every night that he wanted his food hot, please. And most nights, all of our meals were hot. Perhaps I should do that.

15 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

If you have been following this review, you know I haven’t been happy with some of the food. But we have also had excellent food. Last night we had prime rib in Blu. It was delicious, but mine was barely lukewarm. Our server whisked away my plate, and brought me another in a few minutes. It was hot, perfectly cooked, and delicious. I remember one cruise when we had second seating in main dining. One of our table mates told the server every night that he wanted his food hot, please. And most nights, all of our meals were hot. Perhaps I should do that.

On our upcoming Thanksgiving Reflection sailing, looking at the app, it would appear that Prime Rib only appears in Blu on the last night. It's nowhere to be found in the MDR or Luminae menus. At least I know "it exists" onboard, that's a start !!

Tom

1 hour ago, Jazzbo said:

Here’s something I just noticed outside and of Cafe Al Bacio. The lower half includes Bistro on Five, which the S-class ships haven’t had in ages. It used to be our favorite lunch spot on embarkation day. Now it’s Sushi on Five (and has been for several years).4BB60B37-BF14-4C49-915D-FA61DE0D0375.thumb.jpeg.18e63c0af80793319b381c941bbd2e41.jpeg

I noticed the same thing when sailing on her in September! Like you enjoyed a nice relaxing lunch on embarking when Bistro was there

1 hour ago, Jazzbo said:

Here’s something I just noticed outside and of Cafe Al Bacio. The lower half includes Bistro on Five, which the S-class ships haven’t had in ages. It used to be our favorite lunch spot on embarkation day. Now it’s Sushi on Five (and has been for several years).

Good catch - great observational skills !

On that note, ignore the ship maps, and go check out Cellar Masters. Perhaps during the dry dock they did indeed convert it to a gastropub and it flew below the radar... LOL

Tom

On 11/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, NedScharpf said:

My wife and I are sailing on The Reflection on December 4 from Ft. Lauderdale.  We are excited but perturbed to read about the food.  The fact that they are not allowed to buy fresh seafood from each port is a tragedy.

It's a HACCP issue I'm sure. There also wouldn't be any real consistency. Couldn't feed 1500+ppl with inconsistent provisions. 

#35yrfoodservice

13 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

I remember someone being disappointed in the cheese selection available, maybe @Jim_Iain? There is a nice selection of cheese in Oceanview every day. I’ll try to remember to take a photo.

ohhh.. yes.. Please.   Sounds like the supply chains problems (excuse used for everything lately) has been fixed.

I'm hoping for some nice cheese on our next cruise in December. 

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

ohhh.. yes.. Please.   Sounds like the supply chains problems (excuse used for everything lately) has been fixed.

I'm hoping for some nice cheese on our next cruise in December. 

I remember your review on that and was happy to see some yummy cheeses at the Oceanview Cafe on the Beyond. Brie, Camembert, Manchego, and this really yummy one with cranberries! 

I’ll try to get a better photo. Sorry it’s upside down. I think it’s because I had the phone sideways. This selection wasn’t as interesting as it has been on other days. One day they had a French Roblechone (sp?) that was delicious.

FE65FF3B-8909-4E89-BCF9-06F89DFFA59D.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon we attended an event at the theater with CD Giuseppe (he’s great!) and Captain Matt (very personable). First, Giuseppe interviewed the Captain, and then the Captain interviewed Giuseppe. Then they played a funny game where one had earphones so he couldn’t hear, and had to guess the word the other was saying by reading his lips. Funny words like bamboozled. Since both have accents (Italian and Greek), the guesses were funny. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, Jim_Iain said:

That's the one.   Mercato Centrale Firenze -  Upstairs is a food hall that takes up the full foot print of the building.   You can get anything from a cooked Florentine Steak  (3 Inch Thick Steak 1.5-3" steak), Pizza, a Glass of Wine or just a sweet.

image.thumb.png.94e09e043a5c53dda926bada47e24660.png

image.png.44b532d138c301d9f7a555141f94bebf.png

image.png.8ba35562ee4665143920ea84ab463cf2.png

We too visited the food hall on our September Reflection cruise.  I had a wonderful cannoli and brought back some EVOO. 

On 11/6/2022 at 1:20 AM, Jazzbo said:

Lunch in the Oceanview was much better. I made myself a salad at the salad bar. The salad greens were fresh and crisp. The carvery was roasted chicken, and the dark meat was tasty and not dry.

Its a good thing you enjoy dark meat.  The white meat was always dry as a bone.  I agree with you on the quality of the food.  It has gone downhill for sure.  

On 11/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, gold1953 said:

We are sailing on the 4th as well. Being from Nova Scotia we seldom enjoy the onboard seafood. Hard to compete with what we get at home

Oh yes.  My ex's family is from Cape Breton.  We went there for a family reunion.  The lobster dinner was served at a fire hall.  We paid about 40 bucks for lobster/sides.  I ate my lobster and was asked " Are you ready for your second lobster".  LOL.  It was amazing( I ended up taking the 2nd lobster( meat picked off) back to Ontario with us.   I was not going to waste that. 

I’ve fallen down in the job. The sea days kind of blend into each other. We dressed up for evening chic the night before last, and ate at Murano. I can recommend the Dover Sole Veronique and the Grand Marnier Soufflé. 

A90A451B-6258-4862-A2D4-B5CCB4FA9CFA.jpeg

1083AC0C-6510-41BC-B63B-E8D549F205C8.jpeg

613EF682-550F-4A73-906D-D87E72AED536.jpeg

Last night a flash mob paraded by the Martini Bar. I did not get a good photo. They were wearing Mardi Gras beads, masks, hats, etc., and they paraded and danced to “When the Saints Go Marching In.” Fun! We have enjoyed meeting people at the Martini Bar. 

Dinner at Blu was disappointing last night. I had the duck breast, which was overcooked and dry. The farratto that accompanied the duck was good. Larry had the lamb shank. It was tasty, but dry.

554ACFE8-D19C-42BC-A11D-AB5D118A579B.jpeg

2612CC3C-8255-40F7-B295-7055A06F5380.jpeg