Uniworld Venice

Bob Ross

We are thinking of booking Uniworld La Venezia on their 8 day 'Venice and Jewels of the Veneto'. We have not been on Uniworld before

I think this may be a new itinerary but has anyone done anything similar with Uniworld in Venice. If so what are your thoughts/ observations? We are particularly interested in best time of year to go, do you get much chance to explore Venice itself and is it possible to sit outside for dinner on the ship. However, all thoughts welcome on whatever topic you like! Many thanks

Hi Bob, We took this trip in 2014 and enjoyed it so much that we booked the same trip (with the addition of Milan) in 2016!  It is not a typical river cruise, since most of the cruise is spent in the Venice lagoon, but we loved being able to explore much of Venice and the surrounding islands.  I think the itinerary has changed somewhat, with great additions.  We especially enjoyed the after hours visit of St. Marks, Chioggia, Bologna, Burano and Torcello.  We love Uniworld's product and have booked our 8th river cruise with them next spring!

• Like 2

We did this trip in 2018, along with the extension to Florence & Rome.  It wasn't like a river cruise as you were docked in the lagoon, but it was a different experience.  If you use the search for Venice on this forum, I think Uniworld is the only river cruise line that goes there.  Yes, there was time to explore Venice itself, but there was also cruising the islands.  We really enjoyed wandering Venice in the early mornings before tourists arrive.  You see the locals with children, dogs, deliveries via the canals, etc.  When we went, they had an informal pizza café outside, but dinner was in the regular dining room.  

• Like 1

We did this trip in July with the Milan extension and loved it. It was very hot but because of my job I can only travel during the summer months. If you have never been to Venice this is really a wonderful way to see it.  We were able to go off the boat and explore after hours. All the tours and guides were fantastic. The ship is beautiful and the food and service excellent. My favorite was the island of Burano and a Vivaldi concert in the church where he first performed the Four Seasons.

• Like 3

Hi @Bob Ross - we were on this cruise earlier this month. Like others have said, it is really a lagoon cruise (low water levels prevented us from going on the Po). Overall it is a great itinerary (we also did the Milan land portion of the trip) with some very special experiences (private tours of St. Mark's and the Doge's Palace and viewing of the Last Supper). Burano and Torcello are lovely. It is so nice to be docked right in Venice and to be able to walk right off the ship and explore. It was on the warm side while we were there- I think in the low 70s but felt warmer due to the humidity. It was cool in the mornings but warmed up quickly. It was great weather for sightseeing and sitting up on the deck as we cruised the lagoon. 

On the last day, there is a chance to visit the Rialto Market or you can go to a mask making workshop- or they arrange for you to take a water taxi and then you have the day to explore (which is what we did).

There is a panini bar in the lounge (inside) and a pizza restaurant upstairs on the deck (but it has glass walls, so not really outdoors). It was open maybe 3 nights of the trip and reservations were required due to small space (I'd recommend it- it was a choice of several pizzas plus antipasto, salad, and dessert). 

Everywhere we went (shops, restaurants, museums, etc.) locals asked us about the ship as they were all curious about it and wanted to know if it was as nice as it looked outside (it was!). 

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

• Like 4

Thank you to everyone who has replied - it is greatly appreciated (and, I am glad to say, very re-assuring). I note a few people say that this is not really like a river cruise - that is fine as it is really Venice we want to see and, as we have never been on a river cruise before, we probably will not be aware of the difference!

Any more tips on Venice and making the most of Uniworld would be most welcome. However, thanks again for your comments which were really useful.

• Like 2

I also sailed on the Venice cruise with Uniworld in Oct 2019 and loved it too😀 as far as I know, and in doing a lot of research, I believe Uniworld is the only line who does this itinerary.  The River Po is not nearly as well known as all the "big rivers" in Europe.

I don't suppose anyone has any sample menus and wine list?

Also - I am looking forward to dinning on board but fancy at least one night or lunch in a good restaurant ashore. Any/ all recommendations are welcome!

Thanks to all

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Ross said:

Also - I am looking forward to dinning on board but fancy at least one night or lunch in a good restaurant ashore. Any/ all recommendations areme!

Thanks to all

We spent three days in Venice following a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise this past spring and I can assure you that you'll have NO trouble finding some wonderful restaurants scattered around Venice in the little alleys and side streets. 👍

Paul

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

We spent three days in Venice following a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise this past spring and I can assure you that you'll have NO trouble finding some wonderful restaurants scattered around Venice in the little alleys and side streets. 👍

Paul

Hi Paul😀....I agree about all the restaurants but Bob will have to make sure if it is in the middle of a river cruise that the riverboat is docked in Venice for that to happen. I know from sailing this itinerary that the boat stops in various ports around the different canals.

If you are interested in seeing Venice, why not stay at a hotel in Vencie?  There are many hotels in which to stay.  Also, there is certainly no shortage of very interesting and excellent restaurants in the city.  Why limit your meals to the ship?

The bus trip from Milan to Venice is 150 miles.  Yes, you stop in Verona, but otherwise it's a waste of a day.  

Also, the stops that the boat makes in the Venice lagoon can easily be accomplished with local water transport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

If you are interested in seeing Venice, why not stay at a hotel in Vencie?  There are many hotels in which to stay.  Also, there is certainly no shortage of very interesting and excellent restaurants in the city.  Why limit your meals to the ship?

The bus trip from Milan to Venice is 150 miles.  Yes, you stop in Verona, but otherwise it's a waste of a day.  

Also, the stops that the boat makes in the Venice lagoon can easily be accomplished with local water transport.

Perhaps because, as nice as it is staying at a hotel in Venice, it is much more romantic to stay on a rivership docked right in town – and much nicer sailing the lagoon on a rivership than a vaporetto.  Also my experience with restaurants in Venice, even highly recommended ones, has been far more minuses than pluses.  Different strokes...

• Like 2

I disagree with CruisingAlong4Now.  To me, the bus rides provide some scenic views from Milan to Venice.  Uniworld makes a stop at Verona, which for the most part is very touristy, but they also stop at a wonderful vineyard for a delicious multicourse lunch with plentiful and splendid wine.  Tour of the estate was also enjoyable. I definitely did not see it as a waste of a day, but to each his own.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Why would you say the travel from Milan to Venice is a waste of a day? I want to enjoy Milan, then go onto Venice. If I had extra time I’d also do the Lake Como and Swiss Alps extensions from Milan also but I have family obligations. 

I have been to Venice previously and am looking forward to a return trip plus the other places we never went to. Sure we could stay in a hotel. But we love the ease of River touring. All we have to do is show up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Why would you say the travel from Milan to Venice is a waste of a day? I want to enjoy Milan, then go onto Venice. If I had extra time I’d also do the Lake Como and Swiss Alps extensions from Milan also but I have family obligations. 

I have been to Venice previously and am looking forward to a return trip plus the other places we never went to. Sure we could stay in a hotel. But we love the ease of River touring. All we have to do is show up. 

I never said that Milan was a waste of time, but I would consider sitting in a bus for several hours a waste of a vacation day if my priority was seeing Venice and the lagoon islands.  I've done all these trips, including Lake Como and the Swiss and Italian Alps.  

As was said, different strokes for different folks.  It's very interesting that people are very positive and encouraging about being bused from one destination to another destination on this pseudo-river cruise (Milan to Venice) but when water levels are low on the Danube, people agitate for a refund when they are bused from a central site on the Danube.  

Sorry Jazzbeau, no matter how wonderful cruise or river ships may be, they can rarely compare to some of the many gorgeous and historic hotels and great restaurants on land.

Staying in a Venice hotel and dining in local restaurants is like the jewel in the crown of the cruise.  Being served on silver with white glove service at Cafe Florian makes one truly appreciate the brilliance of historic custom.  We were able to splurge and stayed at the Danieli--exploring the lovely property, dining on the rooftop, and escaping from the hordes of tourists into our stunning and tranquil lobby made Venice become one of our favorite cities (even though there are hardly any trees!).

I cruise a lot, and have done so for decades, but I also do a lot of land tours (self-drive), and we always stay in historic hotels around the world.  A lot of cruise ship decor is sadly similar and easily forgettable, but the unique and beautiful places I have stayed (castles, palaces, monasteries, mansions, etc.) are forever etched in my memories. Of course, the best trips are when I can combine special hotels with great cruises!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Sorry Jazzbeau, no matter how wonderful cruise or river ships may be, they can rarely compare to some of the many gorgeous and historic hotels and great restaurants on land.

Staying in a Venice hotel and dining in local restaurants is like the jewel in the crown of the cruise.  Being served on silver with white glove service at Cafe Florian makes one truly appreciate the brilliance of historic custom.  We were able to splurge and stayed at the Danieli--exploring the lovely property, dining on the rooftop, and escaping from the hordes of tourists into our stunning and tranquil lobby made Venice become one of our favorite cities (even though there are hardly any trees!).

I cruise a lot, and have done so for decades, but I also do a lot of land tours (self-drive), and we always stay in historic hotels around the world.  A lot of cruise ship decor is sadly similar and easily forgettable, but the unique and beautiful places I have stayed (castles, palaces, monasteries, mansions, etc.) are forever etched in my memories. Of course, the best trips are when I can combine special hotels with great cruises!

You cruise “ a lot”. Have you ever been on ONE river cruise? Lol. But you come here to this thread. If you knew anything about the cruise, you’d know one could walk off the ship and visit the roof top bar at any hotel. Why are you trying to talk the OP out of a cruise you yourself never experienced?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

DW made it clear that if I ever book another trip to Venice that requires her to risk being seasick standing on a bobbing vaporetto platform [the only time she ever experiences that agida] – my marriage might be at risk.  Your mileage may vary, or you may be single – but don't project your experience and wishes universally!

Also, you skipped right over the part where I mentioned my experience with poor restaurants in Venice.  Maybe there are some gorgeous and historic hotels and great restaurants there, but when I book a river cruise on one of the top lines [Scenic, Tauck and Uniworld] I am assured that my ship and its restaurant will be gorgeous and great [and not 'historic' which is often a code word for 'antiquated' and 'run-down']

If you want to do Venice properly fly in do the posh beautiful boat trip to your hotel, wonder for two days, regardless of the cost have an aperitif in St Marks Square and basque  in watching the  rest of the world walking by. Then have your luggage carted to the railway station - walking behind it of course then getting on board the ‘Venice, Simplon, Orient Express for your return journey to London. That was my husbands 25th anniversary present our 50TH was in the middle of lockdown so fingers crossed what to do?

Jazz we crossed the Grand Canal on the ferry gondola hubby only had large notes and the proprietor waved him away saying ‘oh you English’ expletive deleted! A-hum was that good or bad? I just pretended I didn’t understand!

• Like 1