Sewage and cigars

fizook

I would have thought that the reason for this problem is solely due to Silversea's  wording on where you can/cannot smoke.  The word cigar should surely have been omitted from the first line .  As it appears, it gives the smoker an excuse to smoke cigars where they are obviously not supposed to, according to the last line.  

I don't smoke, and do not like the smell, but do think the provision of a special lounge for smokers is an excellent idea.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, fak said:

Yes, an excellent idea, if rules are enforced. We were forced inside tonight because cigar man was smoking outside the Panorama Lounge.

We too were forced inside at Panorama. We were ploting to chuck him overboard.  Earlier the lovely combo of his noxious cigar combined with the sewage smell cut our time at the pool short.  And then there are the loud Face Timers. 6* cruising at its finest.  I'm terribly discouraged. 

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We too were forced inside at Panorama. We were ploting to chuck him overboard.  Earlier the lovely combo of his noxious cigar combined with the sewage smell cut our time at the pool short.  And then there are the loud Face Timers. 6* cruising at its finest.  I'm terribly discouraged. 

Ugh, I feel for you.  The cigar smoker.  And in a lot of our travels we have noticed the loud Face Tiimers are  more often then not, semi-deaf  loud talking Grammy and Grampy FaceTiming with the even louder screaming and squealing grandkids back home on the other end of the call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimanjo said:

And in a lot of our travels we have noticed the loud Face Tiimers are  more often then not, semi-deaf  loud talking Grammy and Grampy FaceTiming with the even louder screaming and squealing grandkids back home on the other end of the call.

Well if it gets too annoying you can always go and stand just behind their shoulder looking eagerly at their phone as if to join in - after all, their call must be public, given how many people around can hear it.

OK, full disclosure - that is what I'd like to do but don't.

But if it's really bad, I sometimes get a bit close and look steadily at them. They don't like it but it doesn't achieve anything, these rude people feel entirely entitled to disturb everyone around them, but at least I feel I've made a small protest.

And just occasionally, they move somewhere else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

He is not a bearded American.

@kimanjo

@Silver Spectre

If it weren't really annoying it would be comical. Outside the Panorama was lovely last night. Beautiful sunset, nice temperature, gentle breeze, cold cocktails.  Then the noxious fumes overcame us.  We went inside only to be audibly assaulted by the Face Timers, AND now the noxious fumes from the cigar smoker filled Panorama through the door. 🤯🤯🤯 

Being a small ship, there are very few options. Very hot by the pool bar and no sunset view. The sewage smell seems to be worse there and cigar man camps out there most of the day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

He is not a bearded American.

@kimanjo

@Silver Spectre

If it weren't really annoying it would be comical. Outside the Panorama was lovely last night. Beautiful sunset, nice temperature, gentle breeze, cold cocktails.  Then the noxious fumes overcame us.  We went inside only to be audibly assaulted by the Face Timers, AND now the noxious fumes from the cigar smoker filled Panorama through the door. 🤯🤯🤯 

Being a small ship, there are very few options. Very hot by the pool bar and no sunset view. The sewage smell seems to be worse there and cigar man camps out there most of the day.

Have you discussed this with the HD and requested that cigar man is detained in the connoisseurs corner.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Have you discussed this with the HD and requested that cigar man is detained in the connoisseurs corner.

LOL, we have had several discussions and are told "they are working on a solution ".  Here's my solution: Never sail on Wind again, and perhaps Silversea altogether.  I really don't enjoy the activity of interacting with the HD & CD just to set things right. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

LOL, we have had several discussions and are told "they are working on a solution ".  Here's my solution: Never sail on Wind again, and perhaps Silversea altogether.  I really don't enjoy the activity of interacting with the HD & CD just to set things right. 

Sorry to hear that. You are obviously being given the run around in the hope that you will eventually give up. BTW who is the HD.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The Wind, and actually a couple of the older ships in the fleet, have very small areas outside the Panorama Lounge which doesn’t help matters.  The newer bigger ships not only have much larger outdoor seating they always have an outdoor space available directly from the Connoisseurs Lounge.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

You’ll have to enroll in a course that I teach called “Follow Through”.  While neither sanctioned or accredited by a university, students report it is nonetheless quite effective at achieving their goals. 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well if it gets too annoying you can always go and stand just behind their shoulder looking eagerly at their phone as if to join in - after all, their call must be public, given how many people around can hear it.

But if it's really bad, I sometimes get a bit close and look steadily at them. They don't like it but it doesn't achieve anything, these rude people feel entirely entitled to disturb everyone around them, but at least I feel I've made a small protest.

And just occasionally, they move somewhere else.

Well they better not do it around Rojaan. She has been known to go and visit those extra loud people and tell them exactly how she feels about their behaviour. She will then tell them exactly what to do with their phone. It usually works well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am reading this thread and I can’t fathom why and how a single cigar smoking person is holding the ship hostage with fumes.

Is the HD so impotent that they can not get this offensive behavior stopped,  or is the cigar person too powerful in the Silversea hierarchy?

It really boggles the mind.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 10

I'm starting to understand why our upcoming sailing in December on the Wind was priced so that folks like me can actually afford it. 

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

Sigh. 

I'm adding Vicks Vap-o-Rub to the packing list. 

• Haha 3