Sewage and cigars

fizook

On 10/28/2022 at 7:29 PM, Observer said:

Another fine performance from Silversea. The first line says explicitly that cigars are permitted in various outdoor locations. Only four or five lines later, a new stipulation is added.  I imagine that the HD or the CD simply added that final parenthesis on their own authority without even bothering to see that same paragraph expressly permitted cigar smoking outdoors.  More of the chaos that is, alas, the contemporary Silversea.

I think it is a matter of interpretation from whoever wrote the rules.  It should not mention cigars at all except for the connoisseur lounge.  I smoke cigars occasionally and have always interpreted it as cigars only in the C Lounge.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm starting to understand why our upcoming sailing in December on the Wind was priced so that folks like me can actually afford it. 

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

Sigh. 

I'm adding Vicks Vap-o-Rub to the packing list. 

What about a gas mask?!

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, Stumblefoot said:

You’ll have to enroll in a course that I teach called “Follow Through”.  While neither sanctioned or accredited by a university, students report it is nonetheless quite effective at achieving their goals. 😁

Excellent idea, I bet there is a waitlist for your classes.  I currently have an annex between the reception desk and Alicia's office while we continue to work out our suite issues.  🤣  

The sewage smell continues, and the cigar smoke worse. Last night  the entire Panorama lounge and hallway reeked. We couldn't use it.

BTW, thanks for that post over on Seabourn about their lack of SEC filing regarding the Saudi purchase. 

On 11/2/2022 at 8:21 AM, fizook said:

Today we will cancel our Wind cruise for next May. We can't take a chance that these issues will not be fixed by then.

I do not forsee ever stepping foot on the Wind again after this trip.  

Oh boy....SO just informed me we have a new leak under the sink.  FYI we are on our third suite.

1 minute ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Oh boy....SO just informed me we have a new leak under the sink.  FYI we are on our third suite.

That’s so sad, what on earth did SS do to the ship when they had it expeditionised, surely these can’t be snagging issues?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We have been wondering the same thing.  LOL...our door just broke.

CruiseCritic really needs more of those little "emotion" pictures.  This thread alone warrants at least fifty...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Wow. 

2 hours ago, fizook said:

Obviously cigars are not offensive.

People who smoke them where they are not allowed to are offensive and rude.

Cigar man outside Panaorama Lounge again tonight. No one says a thing. 

Hey Fizook, we moved to the pool bar pre dinner. And, Andres is the best bartender on the ship. Word is cancer man is getting of in Guyaquil. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I smoked cigars for many year and the smell doesn't bother me.   It was important to me to be considerate of the people around me, for example I probably wouldn't smoke in a pool area with a small smoking section especially if I felt it was upsetting other people.   There are designated indoor rooms for smoking cigars and if that bothers other guests that's too bad.

I haven't followed this thread (thank God) that closely but has this person been asked to not smoke? 

Has the sewage smell stopped?

• Like 1

Sometimes I don’t think smokers have any idea how offensive the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke is to many others. In my younger days when DH smoked, I became desensitized to it. Smokers were everywhere, restaurants, bars, shops. It really didn’t bother me. In recent years, with DH a non smoker and the many laws pertaining to where smoking is allowed, I rarely smell smoke. Now when I do I find I truly find it offensive. It is not an emotional response, it is a physical one. It probably doesn’t help that I now have allergies and occasional asthma. If I were on this cruise would I complain? Probably not. I would avoid the area if possible. I will be on the Wind for two cruises next year. I am assuming cigar guy will be long gone. 😜 Now here’s hoping they get the sewage situation in hand. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

I smoke cigars. I think people need to calm down - it's not that offensive.

Sorry, but when there's something you personally enjoy, you can't be the arbiter of whether it's bothersome to others! Some people may have actual breathing problems (such as asthma) with smoke, some may be concerned about the potential of issues from second-hand smoke, some may have survived lung cancer, some may have quit smoking but need to stay away from the smell in order to avoid feeling a strong urge to smoke, and some just can't stand the smell. You, while enjoying your cigar, can't tell all those people they're wrong and should just live with it.

1 hour ago, Ryan82 said:

I just think there's more stuff to get offended about than someone enjoying a cigar.

People pay a lot of money for a luxury cruise. If someone is smoking a cigar whose smell you find disagreeable, in an area of the ship designated as non-smoking, and therefore forces you to have to completely avoid that area of the ship, I think it's understandable to be bothered. And to have ship's management ignore someone who is breaking their established rules, even in the face of multiple complaints,  because that person is wealthy/powerful/connected is equally offensive.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

And to have ship's management ignore someone who is breaking their established rules, even in the face of multiple complaints,  because that person is wealthy/powerful/connected is equally offensive.

Ship's management is entirely the problem. They could have corrected the problem three weeks ago when it started but chose to do nothing. 

They may have gained one repeat customer but lost many others.

• Like 3

I'm sorry but it's nothing short of hysterical that the anti-cigar brigade conclude the cigar smoking villain is major shareholder, or otherwise rich and powerful and therefore acting above the law and all things decent by smoking a legal product, in an area according to the screenshot uploaded is permitted.

I understand cigar smoke might be unpleasant for some, but it sounds as if the guy is doing it outside. I just can't believe the smell is that ruinous to someones cruise.

• Like 2