St. George’s ferry route to be suspended for winter

Charles4515

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Since the overwhelming majority of November and December port calls at the Royal Naval Dockyard are by NCL ships I hope for the sake of the businesses in St. George's and NCL's passengers that NCL will still have its private ferry in operation during those months.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Since the overwhelming majority of November and December port calls at the Royal Naval Dockyard are by NCL ships I hope for the sake of the businesses in St. George's and NCL's passengers that NCL will still have its private ferry in operation during those months.

Hopefully. Since NCL has added a number of winter calls some past even November and December it will be interesting to see what NCL does. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Hopefully. Since NCL has added a number of winter calls some past even November and December it will be interesting to see what NCL does. 

I'm on an NCL January cruise that recently added a Bermuda call, but in our case the ship is in port for such a short stay that I doubt I would make the trip to St. George's even if the NCL ferry is operating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm on an NCL January cruise that recently added a Bermuda call, but in our case the ship is in port for such a short stay that I doubt I would make the trip to St. George's even if the NCL ferry is operating. 

I'm on the same cruise as you know, and I feel the same way in terms of the short port call and visiting St. George's.   But I'm also on the Joy in two weeks, which is an actual 
"Bermuda cruise" (nearly three days there), and I really hope the NCL ferry is operating, as we haven't been to St. George's in years and were planning to visit this trip.

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I doubt I would either for a short stay. Also I have read that some busnesses in St.George cut back in the winter. 

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm on the same cruise as you know, and I feel the same way in terms of the short port call and visiting St. George's.   But I'm also on the Joy in two weeks, which is an actual 
"Bermuda cruise" (nearly three days there), and I really hope the NCL ferry is operating, as we haven't been to St. George's in years and were planning to visit this trip.

I have to believe that NCL will operate the ferry for your Joy cruise because of the length of your stay .

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Unless I missed this when reading the article yesterday, and I don't think I did,  it appears that it has been edited to include the following:

"But a government spokesman has reassured businesses in the old town that a supplementary ferry schedule will run while cruise ships are visiting Dockyard."

And:

But a Government spokesman said last night: “The service will run the same as the orange route service provided over the summer.”

Edited by njhorseman

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Unless I missed this when reading the article yesterday, and I don't think I did,  it appears that it has been edited to include the following:

"But a government spokesman has reassured businesses in the old town that a supplementary ferry schedule will run while cruise ships are visiting Dockyard."

And:

But a Government spokesman said last night: “The service will run the same as the orange route service provided over the summer.”

The article has been edited since the original version. Autumn and Winter schedule is also an edit. 

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm on a 5 day NCL Bermuda cruise in February.  Was planning to take ferry and bus to caves.  Hope we will still be able to do this.  The excursion price is rediculous.

You can take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to the caves. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm on a 5 day NCL Bermuda cruise in February.  Was planning to take ferry and bus to caves.  Hope we will still be able to do this.  The excursion price is rediculous.

Exactly as Charles said above: ferry to Hamilton, bus to Caves.  I wanted to add the advice given to me by the Caves last year -- you should consider making a reservation.  When a ship is in port, it often books up many slots for its tours.  (Perhaps this will not be a big problem in February; you might want to contact the Caves and inquire.)   

You'll be quite close to the Swizzle Inn -- a great place for lunch (before or after)!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I should have included this in my comment above: NCL runs a free ferry to St. George’s for its own guests. Hopefully it will be operating when you are there. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ORV said:

Does anyone know when regular service resumes? We're there March 15-17. 

It won't be running then. That will still be the winter schedue. It will resume on the summer schedule. They alternate between a winter and summer schedule. To give you  a general idea last year that was May 2. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 10/29/2022 at 8:33 AM, njhorseman said:

And:

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It won't be running then. They don't run regular service on the winter schedue. It will resume on the summer schedule. To give you  a general idea last year that was May 2. 

Thanks, but will the supplementary ferry NJhorseman mentioned be running at that time? On the Oceania Riviera. 

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Thanks, but will the supplementary ferry NJhorseman mentioned be running at that time? On the Oceania Riviera. 

The government says there will be supplemental service but that is something I will believe when someone reports back that there was service whn they visited. I don't think it is something you can count on. 

Edited by Charles4515

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Is the Riviera calling at the Dockyard? 

The government says there will be supplemental service but that is something I will believe when someone reports back that there was service whn they visited. I don't think it is something you can count on. 

Yes, we will be docked at the Royal Dockyard. It's too big for either Hamilton or St George, although I've been to both on the smaller R ship. 

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Yes, we will be docked at the Royal Dockyard. It's too big for either Hamilton or St George, although I've been to both on the smaller R ship. 

Possibly Oceania would know or could ask for supplemental service. Also NCL which owns Oceania has their own private ferry. You could contact Oceania and suggest the use of the NCL ferry. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 6:48 PM, Charles4515 said:

You can take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to the caves. 

I'll be on the NCL Prima in April so both NCL ferry options should be available.  If I wanted to go to the caves, which ferry/bus combination is better - St. George or Hamilton - or is it a wash?

59 minutes ago, Sugar0802 said:

I'll be on the NCL Prima in April so both NCL ferry options should be available.  If I wanted to go to the caves, which ferry/bus combination is better - St. George or Hamilton - or is it a wash?

I would expect  the  NCL ferry to St.George to be operating and the public ferry to Hamilton. The public ferry to St. George's will either start at end of April or start of May. I usually would to St. George because I like to spend some time there but I don't think it makes much difference. It might come down which ferry is most convienient to your schedule. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 9:00 AM, Turtles06 said:

I should have included this in my comment above: NCL runs a free ferry to St. George’s for its own guests. Hopefully it will be operating when you are there. 

We were on the 1/16 Gem cruise and NCL was running a limited ferry to St. George. It departed the Dockyard at 9:30 and departed St. George at 1:30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1