What is your best onboard money-saving hack?

newtocruiseinblue

47 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Question on the wine package - do they walk you through it or let you taste the wines prior to making your selections or is that not a thing?

I've never seen a wine tasting for the Sommelier Wine Packages.

I do get a brochure and it lists and describes the wines in the three different packages.  Also, sometimes some of the wines on the list may not be available. 

We are not picky wine people and we are always fine with package #1 (the least expensive).  We manage to finish however many bottles we buy by the end of the cruise....or buy more!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You could pay for a wine tasting.  If you have certain questions they may be able to help.  I don’t think you can randomly taste wine for free.  Why buy? You could just do that every day 😛.

Pre-covid as four or five star mariners we were invited to one or two free wine tastings per cruise.  Incidentally, if you didn't like the wine you picked in your wine package you could choose another.  I usually chose the middle package as it had malbec and the lower cost one didn't.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Question on the wine package - do they walk you through it or let you taste the wines prior to making your selections or is that not a thing? 😊 We are leaning towards a wine package. 

I always ask for a taste of the red I am interested in when I get a wine package.  They will check to see if it’s available for tasting but have always brought some.  In the recent past, a reduction in Sommeliers made it harder to get what you like.  But our last couple of cruises the beverage servers had more wine knowledge (as did the head waiter) so it’s getting better.  One of our beverage servers said HAL now has a training program to increase the number of Sommeliers, which he was going through.  And he was excited about it, which was nice.  I have really noticed a difference in the beverage servers’ understanding of wine.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Pre-covid as four or five star mariners we were invited to one or two free wine tastings per cruise.  Incidentally, if you didn't like the wine you picked in your wine package you could choose another.  I usually chose the middle package as it had malbec and the lower cost one didn't.  

I'm pretty sure that is still happening.  I'm fairly sure I received invites to it on the koningsdam in both Nov 2021 and March 2022.  I don't go because it's a bit too early for day drinking for me.  The one I attended years ago I believe highlighted wines in the package.  I'm a white wine drinker so I find the lowest package works ok for me.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Question on the wine package - do they walk you through it or let you taste the wines prior to making your selections or is that not a thing? 😊 We are leaning towards a wine package. 

Letting you taste the various wines is not done nor is it feasible, there are just too many for one thing.

HAL does offer a couple of wine tasting events (for a fee) on every cruise.  Normally some of these are on wine package items.

If you are interested in a wine package, I would check out the list before you board (can find on this board sometimes and I think on the Navigator app).

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:37 AM, MAVIP said:

m.s. Rotterdam: at least the decks I stayed in or visited the last nights: a scale near the elevators.

There were also scales on the Eurodam in March at the mid-ship elevators. They weighed in kilograms but, thanks to handy cell phones, we converted to pounds easily.

We have also checked the bags’ weights in the gym. You need to haul the bags there, but it sure beats an overweight bag fee.

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

On every HAL cruise I have been on there has been a scale at the elevators the night before disembarkation.

The first time we saw those scales out the night before disembarkation in the elevator lobby we thought it was a cruel joke......

(we travel with a carry on so weighing luggage was foreign to us but gaining weight on a cruise was top of mind)

LOL

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

On every HAL cruise I have been on there has been a scale at the elevators the night before disembarkation.

There are quite a few inexpensive luggage scales one can buy at any luggage store or on Amazon.  These small scales (which you can easily put in your carry-on) pay for themselves the first time it keeps you from being overweight or having to deal with the hassles of finding a scale in a hotel/ship.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Letting you taste the various wines is not done nor is it feasible, there are just too many for one thing.

HAL does offer a couple of wine tasting events (for a fee) on every cruise.  Normally some of these are on wine package items.

If you are interested in a wine package, I would check out the list before you board (can find on this board sometimes and I think on the Navigator app).

Boarding now!!! I definitely wasn't proposing to taste every wine. I was wondering if they walk you through the descriptions, you let them know your preferences and they make recommendations. Sometimes if you are unsure they will pour you a TASTE. Not uncommon. My husband had the bartender pour him a taste of a beer at the airport bar yesterday for an IPA he had never tried. It is also proper etiquette for the wine steward to present the bottle that you chose for you to verify the proper vintage, inspect the cork and to allow you to taste it. I've never turned away a wine, though. 🍷 

Edited by newtocruiseinblue

12 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Boarding now!!! I definitely wasn't proposing to taste every wine. I was wondering if they walk you through the descriptions, you let them know your preferences and they make recommendations. Sometimes if you are unsure they will pour you a TASTE. Not uncommon. My husband had the bartender pour him a taste of a beer at the airport bar yesterday for an IPA he had never tried. It is also proper etiquette for the wine steward to present the bottle that you chose for you to verify the proper vintage, inspect the cork and to allow you to taste it. I've never turned away a wine, though. 🍷 

If you order the wine package in the main dining room the servers are quite busy and will not have much time to walk you through the wines and unlikely will be able to offer you a taste.  There are normally tables set up in the pool area the first day where you can discuss the wines and your options, but no tastings.  You might try a bar area for tastings, but I have never done this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Yes they present the wine to you as you mentioned but that sounds quite different then the question you asked.  They will not be able to spend long periods of time with you.  They have a card with the wine that’s included in the packages and I “think” it has a brief description with it.  Hal is a mainstream line so you kind of have to adjust your thinking to that, at least in my mind.  They have lots of people to serve and just speaking for myself I like wine shortly after I sit down or before the first course is served.  I would not be happy if I got my wine served with my entree because someone is being walked through every wine.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

If you order the wine package in the main dining room the servers are quite busy and will not have much time to walk you through the wines and unlikely will be able to offer you a taste.  There are normally tables set up in the pool area the first day where you can discuss the wines and your options, but no tastings.  You might try a bar area for tastings, but I have never done this.

Good to know!  Thank you so much!! 

31 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I let them know my preference in wine and they consider my likes and dislikes when they offer recommendations.  If I am still unsure they will let me taste it first.  (Otherwise they run the risk of me sending the bottle back if their recommendation is way off base to my likes.  Bad suggestions was the norm when they got rid of the Sommeliers and let untrained beverage servers take their place.  I think they learned from that mistake.)  One taste of the recommended wine is all that’s needed because I will order that wine for the remainder of my wine package.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

The first time we saw those scales out the night before disembarkation in the elevator lobby we thought it was a cruel joke......

(we travel with a carry on so weighing luggage was foreign to us but gaining weight on a cruise was top of mind)

LOL

We carry a hand held luggage scale that has been pretty accurate.  But thought I'd check the HAL scales in the mid-ship elevator bay on the Rotterdam on Oct 29th 2022. On the 5th deck the HAL scale was 5-6 lbs over the 49.5 lbs registered on my hand held scale.  So went up to the 6th deck, were it was closer but off a pound or so.  So tried the 4th deck. Came up with a different number but not over the 5-6 lbs registered on the 5th deck.  Went back to my scale and used it since the seas were calm and did not give me bad readings. Did not have the time to inquire why HALs scales were off. Got to the airport and was fine with the readings off my scale...as always.

Buyer beware!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, Mary229 said:

Instead of shipping things back I bring clothing and shoes to throw away.  Being an avid hiker and ex-runner I change out shoes often and I bring the pair next designated to throw away and leave them at my last stop.  I also review my clothing before packing up from a long journey and donate it or throw it away if I won’t wear it again.  Travel hack for cold climates - buy it at the thrift store then re-donate it when leaving  (I am talking about outdoorsy hiking clothing, if you stained or tore something just leave it in the trash).  Once with my mother I bought her a light weight travel wheelchair to tour Greece, we left it at  church at the last port where they could provide an elderly person with a chair.  

I do this with books and figure that the things I buy swap out for the weight of the books. Just leave them around the ship. I still like reading a physical book more than on my iPad.

• Like 4

As much as possible, pay for things before the cruise, so there's not a pile up of charges

on your onboard account at the end.

You can pay for crew gratuities in advance, give yourself onboard credit,  order a bottle of wine for your room,  etc.

On some itineraries, such as Alaska, don't book shore excursions unless there's something you really want to see. If so,. then buy the tour before the cruise.  Otherwise walk around the ports and explore on your own. Some places have free admission, such as the Alaska State Capitol Building in Juneau. The visitors tour is free, or you can walk the halls yourself.  

On 11/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, FlaMariner said:

......and w/3 Star discount, Sommelier package #1 comes out to $25 a bottle.  Not being picky wine people, it's not worth it to us to shlep bottles onboard to pay $20/a bottle boarding fee

(8 bottle package #1 $258.42 (includes 18% bar tip) - $54.75 (Mariner 3 star discount) = $203.67/8bottles = $25.46/bottle)

Source is my 12/2021 OBC account.

How does that compare with Happy Hour prices?  I believe it now only BOGO 25% off and no Mariner* discount, so probably not a good deal.

1 hour ago, dns20 said:

How does that compare with Happy Hour prices?  I believe it now only BOGO 25% off and no Mariner* discount, so probably not a good deal.

Totally different since this is bottles of wine for the dining room and cabin consumption......

But irregardless, we take advantage of happy hour sometimes also....no matter the discount!

• Like 1