ATMs onboard

arubaaruba

I am sure this was somewhere and I read it at some point months ago, but searching returns zero results. Do the ATMs onboard dispense euros? I know there will be a fee but need to get cash to pay for a private tour and I am more comfortable getting cash onboard then out in public. Thank you in advance. 

13 minutes ago, arubaaruba said:

I am sure this was somewhere and I read it at some point months ago, but searching returns zero results. Do the ATMs onboard dispense euros? I know there will be a fee but need to get cash to pay for a private tour and I am more comfortable getting cash onboard then out in public. Thank you in advance. 

Last month, two ATMs onboard Journey.  One dispensed dollars, the other euros.  HOWEVER they were off line some of the trip.  Honestly if it is a private tour and so you absolutely need the Euros, I would get them before you come or get them before you board in the country.  The ships ATM is a backstop only in my mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arubaaruba said:

On our recent cruise (Pursuit Baltic) where the Euro was the most usable currency, the ATM was offline for the entire cruise.

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Last month, two ATMs onboard Journey.  One dispensed dollars, the other euros.  HOWEVER they were off line some of the trip.  Honestly if it is a private tour and so you absolutely need the Euros, I would get them before you come or get them before you board in the country.  The ships ATM is a backstop only in my mind

1 hour ago, blag said:

On our recent cruise (Pursuit Baltic) where the Euro was the most usable currency, the ATM was offline for the entire cruise.

Thank you for the information. I hadn't considered getting euros in Monaco just before boarding, I think I will go with that idea. Appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

I have found that any private tour guide is very happy to swing by an ATM (since they assume that's where their tip is coming from!)  They will usually know which ones are considered safer or better deals too...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, blag said:

I was on Pursuit and at times neither machine worked. Also notice that on

Onward. Someone needs to upgrade the machines or fix them on turn around day.

I understand it’s very often not a broken machine. All remote ATMs have the same issue

1.  They need a very strong WiFi connection to run the security software that talks to the banks and reads the cards. Reality is that’s extremely difficult on ships. We sailed on a very new ship last year, it struggled 

2.  They need a supply of notes in very very good condition. If you are land based it’s easier to keep that supply going. Moving from port to port it’s not. 

I think it just confirms bring the cash with you or get it ashore. The ships ATM is very much a final option 

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 8:54 AM, arubaaruba said:

On the Pursuit there are at the Moment 2 ATM machines. One for US dollars and one for Euros.

Ivi

39 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

On the Pursuit there are at the Moment 2 ATM machines. One for US dollars and one for Euros.

Ivi

But the ship in Cape Town will be the Journey. Nevertheless the ATM's almost certainly will dispense USD and EUR.

The front desk is not likely to have ZAR.

Get yourself a Wise Card - multi-currency, low fees, mid-market exchange rate. You can convert to ZAR in an instant, and use the card in ATM's on South Africa.

Edited by blag

40 minutes ago, blag said:

But the ship in Cape Town will be the Journey. Nevertheless the ATM's almost certainly will dispense USD and EUR.

The front desk is not likely to have ZAR.

Get yourself a Wise Card - multi-currency, low fees, mid-market exchange rate. You can convert to ZAR in an instant, and use the card in ATM's on South Africa.

Thank you

USA residents should get the Schwab Bank Investor Checking account

https://www.schwab.com/checking

I've used this for several years, all over the world. No fees ever.

Here is a review

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/charles-schwab-bank-review#:~:text=Charles Schwab doesn't have,t charge foreign transaction fees.

• Like 1