Short Millennium cruise - feedback needed

h-sar

Hello, everyone. I am a long time Princess cruiser, fond of the Royal class and newer ships, and will be taking a New Year’s cruise on Princess this December. We will have a few extra days in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise and I’m looking at adding on a three night Millennium cruise as the price is really good for two people right now, almost the same as what the hotel alone would cost in Fort Lauderdale at that time. I’ve never sailed Celebrity before. Will this short, three night to Nassau, cruise be more of a booze cruise? Sets sale on January 3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you have sailed this ship and Princess, your comparisons would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you! PS…the price is $780 Cdn for two people, interior cabin. We are in our mid 50’s. 

The shorter the cruise the more likely to be a "Party Cruise".      Especially with the dates I would expect there to be a larger than normal younger  collage age passenger load.  

Personally I would find a nice hotel in FLL area and relax.   While I've never been on one I would expect a 3 day cruise to be very limited.   Day one by the time you transfer get checked in an have a bite rooms will probably be available for use at 1-1:30 and maybe 2-3 for Luggage.     My experience is the first night on any length cruise  to be difficult for the restaurant staff as both the staff and passenger get used to things.    If you do it I would recommend Specialty Dining for first night.    You will arrive early next morning and will spend the day in port then set sail for home.    Since only a 3 day cruise you will have to pack up and leave suitcases out and be out of your room by 7:30-8:00.   Ugh.  

If you do choose to go, come back and let us know your experience as opposed to my no-experience perception.

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The shorter the cruise the more likely to be a "Party Cruise".      Especially with the dates I would expect there to be a larger than normal younger  collage age passenger load.  

Personally I would find a nice hotel in FLL area and relax.   While I've never been on one I would expect a 3 day cruise to be very limited.   Day one by the time you transfer get checked in an have a bite rooms will probably be available for use at 1-1:30 and maybe 2-3 for Luggage.     My experience is the first night on any length cruise  to be difficult for the restaurant staff as both the staff and passenger get used to things.    If you do it I would recommend Specialty Dining for first night.    You will arrive early next morning and will spend the day in port then set sail for home.    Since only a 3 day cruise you will have to pack up and leave suitcases out and be out of your room by 7:30-8:00.   Ugh.  

If you do choose to go, come back and let us know your experience as opposed to my no-experience perception.

Thank you for your thoughts. I will definitely report back if we do it. It’s three nights, Jan 3-6, so there’s one sea day and one port day. 

Edited by h-sar

4 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Thank you for your thoughts. I will definitely report back if we do it. It’s three nights, Jan 3-6, so there’s one sea day and one port day. 

Understand.... Sure a 4 day is a bit better than a 3 day.    I was planning on staying aboard for a 3 day in between a b2b2b and was warned by both my Travel Agent and friends from Australia -- Don't do it.    Get off and spend the 3 days with them and then get back on.  

Covid hit so never made the decision to cancel the 3 day one.

In my experience, if it's a short cruise, it somewhat doesn't matter if it's 3 nights or 4 nights, what matters is when in the week it is.  All weekdays, you're probably on a fairly tame sailing, if it's over a weekend and includes a monday holiday, that's about as rowdy as it gets.  I was on the Millie on a five nighter over this past Labor Day, there was maybe 50 people under 30 years old, I talked to a lot of them and many revealed they really didn't want to go but their parents paid for them to join them.  lol

Celebrity is definitely generally not a party ship, but for a 3 day cruise when colleges aren't in session due to the holidays, be prepared for anything!  If it were me I would just enjoy Florida, and I say that as a very loyal Celebrity cruiser who loves their product.

While typically shorter cruises can be a more lively atmosphere, I would be surprised if this one is "over the top" booze crouse.

Typically your heavier partiers are younger in general.  Jan 3-5 is would be the absolutely worst time for younger people to take a cruise.  You are literally using 3 days of vacation the first of the year after you most likely have just finished a Christmas / NY type break.  If you have kids, they are starting classes again so you aren't pulling them out of school.

Could I be wrong - absolutely.  I have been before.  Many times - ask my other half.  But from my vantage point; IDK if its going to be as bad as say a 3 day cruise that starts on Thurs or Friday and ends on Sunday / Monday.

20 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Definitely, sticking around Fort L also has benefits. Either way, we will be 4 days less in -30 C weather in my hometown, so it’s a win-win 😁

I love your attitude.    -   -30 C is even cold in F (-22F).

I guess I won't complain when it gets down to 40F  in Northern California

• Like 1

Bit the bullet and emailed our TA to book the cruise. The cost per night is about the same as what we’d pay for a hotel in Fort L, and the cruise will include all our meals and entertainment. 

2 hours ago, Team Stag said:

While typically shorter cruises can be a more lively atmosphere, I would be surprised if this one is "over the top" booze crouse.

Typically your heavier partiers are younger in general.  Jan 3-5 is would be the absolutely worst time for younger people to take a cruise.  You are literally using 3 days of vacation the first of the year after you most likely have just finished a Christmas / NY type break.  If you have kids, they are starting classes again so you aren't pulling them out of school.

Could I be wrong - absolutely.  I have been before.  Many times - ask my other half.  But from my vantage point; IDK if its going to be as bad as say a 3 day cruise that starts on Thurs or Friday and ends on Sunday / Monday.

Yes, absolutely correct about the younger people not wanting or being able to take those days off. I hadn’t thought about that even though both our kids will be leaving Ft L when we get off Princess on the 3rd to head back to work. In fact, they had to get permission to take off the 3rd.

It won’t be bad. Celebrity just isn’t a line that attracts a large group of young people. I’ve done weekend sailings on X and my first 2 cruises were 3 and 4 day weekenders on carnival in my 20s. There’s a big difference in the crowds, I assure you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tierun said:

It won’t be bad. Celebrity just isn’t a line that attracts a large group of young people. I’ve done weekend sailings on X and my first 2 cruises were 3 and 4 day weekenders on carnival in my 20s. There’s a big difference in the crowds, I assure you.

The other thing now is you have the 18+ Virgin Voyages to attract the kidless party people.

Just received my invoice from my TA for the short Millenium cruise. She was able to book us an interior for $680, all tolled, which is $100 less than advertised. And we just got our first dump of snow at home, and it was a significant dump, so feeling even better about booking this for January! So excited for our first warm winter holiday since Covid reared its ugly head. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Looking forward to my first Celebrity cruise, short thought it is.

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 4:42 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I love your attitude.    -   -30 C is even cold in F (-22F).

I guess I won't complain when it gets down to 40F  in Northern California

Can you really call yourself a Californian if you don't whine when the temperature drops below 50F? 😜😜😜