Drink tip question

jc foster

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Small denomination currency in some countries is a coin, not a paper bill.  

Unfortunately some posters on here have a UScentric view of the world ! They do not realise that other currencies exist !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Unfortunately some posters on here have a UScentric view of the world ! They do not realise that other currencies exist !

we do realize they exist. Tip 'em at least a note. Makes a big difference in their lives. Win-win - you get better pours, product and service. If you're cruising you can afford to. Crew put up with passengers only because they're getting paid. Let that sink in.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I may be in the minority here, but I always tip the server a little extra.  It pays off in spades.  Soon the servers recognize me, I'm getting a better grade of Scotch, better pours, and in other venues such as listening to strings or a guitarist my drinks seem to magically appear at my elbow.

Nope, not happening. The pours are carefully monitored and any imaginary "better" pour or imaginary "better grade of Scotch" isn't happening. You may have convinced yourself that you are special, but the cruise line doesn't care about that and will have a talk with bartender if he breaks the rules and gives you, or anyone else, more than they are supposed to. The drink pours and brand are very well monitored and by evenings end the hotel management will know who is helping you steal from the cruise line and will take appropriate action against that person.  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 7

If any bartender consistently poured larger than usual they would be caught when managers compare bottles and receipts same with higher grade liquor. Remember in the plus programs there are multiple brands available 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Nope, not happening. The pours are carefully monitored and any imaginary "better" pour or imaginary "better grade of Scotch" isn't happening. You may have convinced yourself that you are special, but the cruise line doesn't care about that and will have a talk with bartender if he breaks the rules and gives you, or anyone else, more than they are supposed to. The drink pours and brand are very well monitored and by evenings end the hotel management will know who is helping you steal from the cruise line and will take appropriate action against that person.  

Maybe my better pour is coming out of wowzz's drink and it all evens out. 😅 And maybe some people can't tell a well Scotch from a top shelf brand. All I can do is share my experience and you can share yours.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

If any bartender consistently poured larger than usual they would be caught when managers compare bottles and receipts same with higher grade liquor. Remember in the plus programs there are multiple brands available 

Literally every place I ever worked with a bar carefully keeps track of how much is sold and how much is in every bottle. If we needed a little liqueur for a dessert we had to log it. Any bar tender who was consistently short is probably going to be in pretty serious trouble.

50 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

No one tips in coins.  

Actually, I dumped a Canadian Toonie on a bartender. It is exactly the right size to fit in the back of the standard, round Medallion holder. The Medallion grabs the Toonie with it's magnet and, if one doesn't notice the thing, putting the Medallion against a reader with the back to the reader ends up in a fail. I showed the bartender what had happened and he checked out the Toonie and tried to give it back but I told him I didn't want the dang thing.

I would agree that, normally, one doesn't tip with coins but I really wanted to not have that dang thing get stuck in my Medallion holder again.

I’m going to put a nugget of information out & see where it lands…

We recently were on the Enchanted Princess with a Princess Plus drink package; 

I ordered a specialty cocktail in Take 5 that was above the limit and was informed that I would be charged an extra $6 + 18% gratuity; no problem with that…drink arrives, absolutely worth the extra price…we go back to this bar several nights & I had the same cocktail…looking at my final statement I was only charged the up charge on the first night…was that just luck?  Being nice to the waitstaff?  Did I cheat the cruise line?

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Enjoy your drinks from the well and I'll enjoy mine from the shelf.

I don't order well drinks. I have Princess Plus so I don't have to do that. On cruises where I didn't have a drink package I still ordered what I wanted. I would never simply order "Scotch" as they would almost certainly pour Dewars White Label which is only drinkable if mixed with something. Even if I planned to mix (which I don't do with Scotch) I wouldn't buy that swill. (Dewar's 12 is okay though...)

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I don't order well drinks. I have Princess Plus so I don't have to do that. On cruises where I didn't have a drink package I still ordered what I wanted. I would never simply order "Scotch" as they would almost certainly pour Dewars White Label which is only drinkable if mixed with something. Even if I planned to mix (which I don't do with Scotch) I wouldn't buy that swill. (Dewar's 12 is okay though...)

This exactly.  Common sense.

33 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Maybe my better pour is coming out of wowzz's drink and it all evens out. 😅 And maybe some people can't tell a well Scotch from a top shelf brand. All I can do is share my experience and you can share yours.  

All better and extra pours will be stopped next month.   Princess is calling in Patrick Swayze from ROADHOUSE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Please explain how the cruise line earns back the lost and more expensive product which they could have sold but was instead pirated away from them. 

"Pirated."  I see what you did there. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jc foster said:

All better and extra pours will be stopped next month.   Princess is calling in Patrick Swayze from ROADHOUSE.

As long as he brings along Jeff Healey it's all good. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

That is not "my experience", but actual company policy. I am only passing along that the Hotel Manager closely monitors the alcohol used on a daily basis, and larger than approved pours or better brand swapping is not happening. The bartenders could get fired for doing that. 

As US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan so succinctly put it:

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Please refresh my memory wowzz and show me where I said I tip $5 extra.

I merely took a sum at random. 

As others have pointed out, no bar tender is going to risk losing his job, regardless of the size of the tip you give him.