The dark side of flying....

OnTheJourney

Put me on the other side of the ledger.

I enjoy nothing more than a darkened business class cabin, where the only lights are from video screens and courtesy reading lights.  I can sleep if I want, read if I want, watch a screen or just sit and relax.

It is especially welcome on Trans-Pac flights, where there are MANY time zones being crossed, and each passenger is working on their own timing for sleep and adjustment.  Some want to sleep early, some late and some in the middle.

For those who insist on being able to look down on the ground, try flying on aircraft with flight view video, where you can follow along on exterior-mounted cameras.

And for those at the open window when the sun is streaming through your window -- even though YOU may not be in the direct path of the sunlight, folks to your side, or ahead or behind may be getting the full blast of the sunlight in their eyes.  Be aware - sorta like knowing what's behind your target when firing a weapon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dancer Bob said:

I'm with FlyerTalker. "Scenery" at 37,000 ft? As ridiculous as worrying about one hour more or less on a port stop.

"Ridiculous" Hmmm.  Some beautiful scenery can be viewed and has been on many of my flights. I guess you've never flown over the Grand Canyon, Alaska Glaciers. Iceland and some parts of Europe & Asia etc etc.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

"Ridiculous" Hmmm.  Some beautiful scenery can be viewed and has been on many of my flights. I guess you've never flown over the Grand Canyon, Alaska Glaciers. Iceland and some parts of Europe & Asia etc etc.

I'm a guy from the desert of subsaharan Africa, nothing fascinates me more than flying over places like Greenland or Siberia in the winter and seeing nothing but ice, snow, and rock as far as the eye can see. It never gets old. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I LOVE watching the clouds & scenery. I chose a window seat so I can control my view.

And this is why we love DL One or first class/business on some we can both get that window seat.

• Like 2

This shades-down seems to be a new trend based on others I've talked to who have experienced the same thing. I don't like it at all. Am I not correct that, based on airline rules, the shades are at least supposed to be open when taking off and landing? Just talked to my niece recently who flies for business and she said the pax are told to open them when taking off but noone complies. No surprise there. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Am I not correct that, based on airline rules, the shades are at least supposed to be open when taking off and landing?

It depends on who the regulator is, and who the airline is - see the discussion above. The same also applies to enforcement.

And no, it's not a new thing. There have been complaints for years - probably decades - about dark cabins during daylight flights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

There have been complaints for years - probably decades - about dark cabins during daylight flights.

Huh...I don't fly all that often but have never experienced it until recently. I can understand it if business people or otherwise frequent flyers are going over the same routes repeatedly and thus have either pretty much seen what there is to see or else simply have no interest. But for those traveling for leisure / sightseeing, I suspect most of those folks would prefer to have outside visibility rather than sitting in the airline equivalent of a cave. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...I don't fly all that often but have never experienced it until recently.

Just for fun, the very first search I've just done on the BA board of FlyerTalk returned these:

• Thanks 1