Outlets on Caribbean Princess

wannagonow123

Can anyone tell me if there are electrical outlets near the bedside lamps? We are in an interior. We carry travel fans with us, and use an extension cord on Carnival, but I know one of the ships I recently on (different lines, different ships) there were plugs right next to the bed. Don't want the weight of cords if I wont need them.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess on 11/3.  There are limited outlets.  I didn't see any outlets near the bedside lamps.  There are two outlets on the wall by the table/mirror.  And another one behind the TV (long reach).   We have the beds arranged as a queen.  We both use CPAC machines so I had to use a 10 foot extension cord from the table/mirror outlet to the bed and then plug both CPAC cords into it (one had to run under the bed).  I used another short multi plug outlet cord in the outlet behind the TV for charging I Pad/phone.  Good luck.

Mike

• Thanks 2

There are 220v outlets under the bed.   The night stand light plug into them.   That is how the beds and nightstands can switch from queen to twin.

This is Mr. Astro Flyer's picture:

image.thumb.jpeg.08538e7935bf22624563dd1

Posted in this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2838029-power-outlets-around-bed-on-princess-ships/

EVERY ship we've been on (admittedly we've not been on EVERY ship) has had a European style 220v plug behind the bed.  I use a CPAP and just carry a couple of different styles of adapters (NOT converters!) to insert inline with whatever is plugged into the outlet.  It is usually the wiring point for one or both bedside lamps.

I carry an adapter that plugs into the wall (2 pin European) and has 2 additional 2 pin outlets.  That way you can plug the lamp back into one socket and now you have a "spare" socket which you can use to feed a 110v adapter.  No need to ask the steward for an extension cord.  Did that once...never again!  We were constantly tripping over it as it had to run all the way around the cabin, in front of the balcony door and then across to the desk.  Of course...you could always just plug/unplug the cord every evening/morning.  (HAH!)  Nope...just pull the bed out about a foot and you should see the wall socket.  The biggest issue for me now is trying to get the CPAP to stay in the very limited space available on the nightstand since the lamps are bolted down...RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

EVERY ship we've been on (admittedly we've not been on EVERY ship) has had a European style 220v plug behind the bed.  I use a CPAP and just carry a couple of different styles of adapters (NOT converters!) to insert inline with whatever is plugged into the outlet.  It is usually the wiring point for one or both bedside lamps.

I carry an adapter that plugs into the wall (2 pin European) and has 2 additional 2 pin outlets.  That way you can plug the lamp back into one socket and now you have a "spare" socket which you can use to feed a 110v adapter.  No need to ask the steward for an extension cord.  Did that once...never again!  We were constantly tripping over it as it had to run all the way around the cabin, in front of the balcony door and then across to the desk.  Of course...you could always just plug/unplug the cord every evening/morning.  (HAH!)  Nope...just pull the bed out about a foot and you should see the wall socket.  The biggest issue for me now is trying to get the CPAP to stay in the very limited space available on the nightstand since the lamps are bolted down...RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE!

I have a small foldable stool. It fits inside the nightstand drawer. Perfect place for my CPAP. 

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know the electrical outlet situation in a mini suite? We're booked in cabin D328 in January. I was hoping I'd find a good cabin tour on YouTube showing the outlets, but I haven't seen any where I can clearly see the outlets.

I was in isolation in a balcony cabin.  I can't imagine there would be more outlets in a mini-suite.  There was a set of outlets at the desk AND an outlet behind the television.

There are no USB ports on the lamps.  Best to bring some kind of non-surge protected multi-device charger.  

There will also be European plugs by the head of the bed/night stand. You would need an adapter (not a converter) if you are using medical devices and/or Apple devices that are dual voltage.  The adapter should have two outlets.  One for the lamp, one for your device.

IMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.b75da0fdc3919d004e3e098e01187bfd.jpeg

IMG_2930.thumb.jpeg.2319fdb8e1f50fbc59dad9efdf51c6c0.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

How about a really dumb question? If this outlet uses a European style plug does it still use 120 voltage? I would assume it does. So I don't need a converter? What happens when the ships are in Europe and most of the customers use 220 voltage appliances? They have to use both a converter and adapter plug to use the North American style outlets?

Most devices sold these days that can potentially be used while traveling are "dual voltage" meaning that the circuit senses the input voltage and adjusts accordingly. You should always check on the power adapter to see what it says. Both my CPAP and USB multi-charger are dual voltage. 

21 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

How about a really dumb question? If this outlet uses a European style plug does it still use 120 voltage? I would assume it does. So I don't need a converter? What happens when the ships are in Europe and most of the customers use 220 voltage appliances? They have to use both a converter and adapter plug to use the North American style outlets?

The European style plugs are 220 volts - not 110. The adapter converts the plug - not the voltage. Most CPAP devices and chargers are dual voltage, but you should check your devices before traveling.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

now you can plug a US style plug into the top of this adapter, but it does not accommodate a plug that also has a grounding pole. You also mentioned that these European outlets are 220 volts. So do we need an additional adapter to then transform the US plug down to 110 or does this adapter do that also?

10 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

now you can plug a US style plug into the top of this adapter, but it does not accommodate a plug that also has a grounding pole. You also mentioned that these European outlets are 220 volts. So do we need an additional adapter to then transform the US plug down to 110 or does this adapter do that also?

It all depends if the device is dual voltage.  A maintenance supervisor once explained...most times...if it has one of those big "box" between the unit and the plug, that it is "probably" dual voltage.  Look at the tags/labels.  

Most medical devices are.  ALL Apple devices are (except maybe the watch).  Most Anker products are.

If not, yes, you will need a converter as well as an adapter unit.

1 hour ago, minnesotasisu said:

Sorry, yes...you should always carry a "3 prong" US adapter with your "adapter toolkit".

2 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry, yes...you should always carry a "3 prong" US adapter with your "adapter toolkit".

No, you should not use a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to plug into an ungrounded outlet. If your device is designed for a 3-prong grounded outlet, it could be unsafe to plug it into an ungrounded one. However, CPAP units and chargers normally do not have 3-prong grounded plugs.

You should not plug a 110 volt device into a 220 volt outlet. However, most CPAP units and chargers are dual voltage.

5 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

No, you should not use a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to plug into an ungrounded outlet. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. While most people do not do so, that's what the short ground wire is for on 3 prong adapters...attaching to the outlet plate screw in order to provide the proper ground.

45 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. While most people do not do so, that's what the short ground wire is for on 3 prong adapters...attaching to the outlet plate screw in order to provide the proper ground.

That's fine if it is attached properly and if the outlet plate screw is grounded. But how do you know if the outlet plate screw is grounded? I would not recommend using anything but a 3-prong outlet on a ship for anything requiring a ground.

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It all depends if the device is dual voltage.  A maintenance supervisor once explained...most times...if it has one of those big "box" between the unit and the plug, that it is "probably" dual voltage.  Look at the tags/labels.  

Most medical devices are.  ALL Apple devices are (except maybe the watch).  Most Anker products are.

If not, yes, you will need a converter as well as an adapter unit.

We just want to plug our phone chargers into an outlet to have them near the bed while we scroll through our phones to catch up on the news at the end of the day. Those chargers are 110 volts so do I need a transformer to bring the voltage down to 110 volts from the 220 volts supplied at the outlet behind the bed?

13 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

We just want to plug our phone chargers into an outlet to have them near the bed while we scroll through our phones to catch up on the news at the end of the day. Those chargers are 110 volts so do I need a transformer to bring the voltage down to 110 volts from the 220 volts supplied at the outlet behind the bed?

You need to double check your phone chargers. Most phone chargers are dual voltage, so they don't need a transformer. There should be small print on the charger stating the voltage requirements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

All late model Apple and Samsung phone chargers are dual voltage.  Don't forget that there will be a 110 volt "standard US-style" outlet at the desk.  (Might not be as close as you wish...) If you need to plug in more than one device at a time...perhaps something like this will help (available at any hardware store):

Power Tap.jpg