Brazil Caipininha on board

JOHN 57

On 11/10/2022 at 12:53 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Ships are more out of cachaca than not.  Very disappointing, because the caipirinha is my go-to drink.

Historically, Cape Codders were my go to drink. Now it's Dark n Stormy. So tasty 😋 

20221106_173921.thumb.jpg.98c34831de21ff6803d1c0444437c042.jpg

7 hours ago, celoplyr said:

I did and they looked at me funny. I think it's because the original was made with a real kiwi and that's no longer being stocked.

They definitely stock kiwis on the ship.  Just bring some from the MDR or Windjammer!

On 11/10/2022 at 5:26 AM, SRF said:

It is our cruise drink.  It means cruising to us.

And yes, on one cruise they ran out of cachaca.  TOTALLY.  And did not restock.

The next cruise, at the suite welcome party, I commented to the Hotel Manager that I hoped this would not happen again.  I had the Food and Beverage Manager and the Beverage Manager later seek me out to assure me that it would NOT happen on that cruise. 😄

Not only did they happen to me recently, but the next day a bottle of cachaca appeared in my cabin.  😄 😄 😄

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, crewsweeper said:

Just don't expect the Portside BBQ to be anything close to Church's or BennieJ's. (oldest went to SHSloved those 2 places)

Since he is going to be on the Adventure of the Seas, he will have no opportunity to try Portside BBQ.

49 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Since he is going to be on the Adventure of the Seas, he will have no opportunity to try Portside BBQ.

Don’t think he was expecting to - it was a Texas “thing”, (although I think Bennie J’s may be closed?).

The statue is called Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer)

The mountain is Pao de Acucar (Sugar Loaf)

The CAIPIRINHA is made with Cachaca,  Real  Lime,  sugar (NO SYRUPE, PLEASE) , and ice.  You can add Kiwii, strawberries, after. If you want. (BUT ALWAYS  MADE WITH LIME). It  also can be made with VODKA, called CAIPIROSCA.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:53 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Ships are more out of cachaca than not.  Very disappointing, because the caipirinha is my go-to drink.

Wow, I'm just agreeing with you on thread after thread, lol! Total coincidence, but made me laugh. That is our go-to drink as well. They were completely out of cachaca on our cruise last week, including in Boleros. They offered to make it with rum, but it's not the same. We also could've done a caipirosca (with vodka) but again, not the same. We switched over to pain killers for the cruise. Waaaaaay more calories but equally delish. 

Edited by DD
spelling

OMG.  

Based on this thread and my previous experience, I emailed the SL concierge about making sure they did not run out of cachaca.

The Bar Manager is saying they have not had cachaca on board Enchantment since June.

I may have to change cruise lines.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SRF said:

OMG.  

Based on this thread and my previous experience, I emailed the SL concierge about making sure they did not run out of cachaca.

The Bar Manager is saying they have not had cachaca on board Enchantment since June.

I may have to change cruise lines.

Saving it for the real ships😉

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, John&LaLa said:

Not a fan. Taste was ok, but it smelled awful

I do need to develop a taste though if I want to enjoy NYE in Rio next year

On 11/11/2022 at 7:28 AM, John&LaLa said:

Molasses has a bad smell in my opinion. It's sugar cane. But that's rum. Cachaca is a different distilate process

Hey, but I can't stand cilantro. Maybe it's genetic

As someone who is Brazilian, Leblon cachaça is gross and that's why I think your caipirinha wasn't great. I really don't like Leblon, to me it tastes funny. If you are going to Brazil, and you get an authentic brazilian caipirinha, I guarantee you will see the difference between a really good well made caipirinha with a good cachaça vs someone who can't really make it and uses a bad cachaça. A true caipirinha that is well made is sweet and almost taste like a type of lemonade. You shouldn't taste the alcohol so much (vs a rum or vodka) but it is very strong and that's where it can get dangerous hehe lol my favorite cachaça is Velho Barreiro, and a caipirinha made with this cachaça is soooo good. It's one of the most popular cachaça in Brazil. Also cachaça's don't include basil, cilatro, or mint like a mohito. It's just sugar, lime and cachaça. Enjoy your trip to Brazil!