How late can you show up for embarkation and still be allowed to board?

Sigyn

Just wanted to add that some cruise lines will have a time to be checked in at the terminal but close slightly before that.

On our Princess cruise, two passengers who had never cruised before showed up 10 minutes before check in ended in a taxi. Southampton terminal and staff were nowhere to be seen.

They did manage to get attention but did not have time to covi d test and were denied boarding. We found out this story on our social media after sailing. Not sure what happened after that.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, Essiesmom said:

Not a legal option on a r/t Seattle cruise to Alaska due to PVSA, and I’m sure there would not have been any sympathy from cruise line.  And they would have had to pay $700+pp fine.  EM

Why is that? It's still another US port. And why the fine?

Edited by njsmom

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

Why is that? It's still another US port. And why the fine?

Discussed here ad Infinitum.  If they don’t board in Seattle it is no longer a closed loop cruise for them, and not legal as the cruise does not visit a DISTANT foreign port.  Victoria is not distant.  EM

the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 188x says a foreign flagged ship cannot take on passengers in one US port and drop them off in another US port without visiting a DISTANT foreign port, which means South America.  A closed loop cruise must visit a foreign port, but it need not be distant.  

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

I had friends who missed their port in Los Angeles for a Princess cruise and flew to meet the ship at the next port, in Hawaii, and were allowed to board just this week. It did not visit a foreign port. No fines were given. The Princess ship flies a foreign flag.

Their experience is what spurred me to start this thread in the first place, since they arrived at the Los Angeles port and could not board the ship, although it was still there for another 90 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I had friends who missed their port in Los Angeles for a Princess cruise and flew to meet the ship at the next port, in Hawaii, and were allowed to board just this week. It did not visit a foreign port. No fines were given. The Princess ship flies a foreign flag.

Their experience is what spurred me to start this thread in the first place, since they arrived at the Los Angeles port and could not board the ship, although it was still there for another 90 minutes. 

What was the complete itinerary ? That information is critical to knowing why it was permissible for them to board in Hawaii .

16 minutes ago, njsmom said:

The round trip West Coast- Hawaii cruises stop at Ensenada, which is a foreign port.

My understanding is a fine would be applied to Princess. Maybe Princess ate the cost of the fine.

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What was the complete itinerary ? That information is critical to knowing why it was permissible for them to board in Hawaii .

This is the cruise: https://www.icruise.com/itineraries/28-night-hawaii-tahiti-and-samoa-cruise_crown-princess_11-9-2022.html

It will be going to Tahiti, but had not yet reached that foreign port. It went to Los Angeles, which they missed, then Hilo, and they boarded in Hilo. 

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The round trip West Coast- Hawaii cruises stop at Ensenada, which is a foreign port.

My understanding is a fine would be applied to Princess. Maybe Princess ate the cost of the fine.

Yes, it's the cruise line that gets fined but they have the right to pass that fine down to the passenger. 

Edit...per the OP's most recent post this isn't one of those round trip closed loop cruises  that stop in Ensenada. The ship is going to Tahiti, which makes boarding in Hawaii rather than Los Angeles perfectly legal.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, njsmom said:

This is the cruise: https://www.icruise.com/itineraries/28-night-hawaii-tahiti-and-samoa-cruise_crown-princess_11-9-2022.html

It will be going to Tahiti, but had not yet reached that foreign port. It went to Los Angeles, which they missed, then Hilo, and they boarded in Hilo. 

The fact that they're going to Tahiti is what makes it legal to board in Hawaii rather than Los Angeles. Tahiti is a distant foreign port so they can board in Hawaii and return to LA.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, it's the cruise line that gets fined but they have the right to pass that fine down to the passenger. 

Princess clearly practices good customer service. They didn't charge them the fine. They had told them to come along to the port, even though they were running very late. Then the port officials wouldn't let them get on the ship. Princess was okay with it, but the port authorities would not allow it. Luckily they live in Los Angeles, so it wasn't a huge deal. Things happen. 

I saw this on Carnival's site. So it seems to be a cruise-by-cruise rule. Carnival owns Princess, but obviously each brand makes independent decisions:

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) prohibits the transportation of passengers between two different U.S. ports on any vessel other than a U.S.-flag vessel that meets all requirements for U.S. coastwise transportation.  U.S. ports include U.S. states and U.S. island territories and possessions, with the exception of American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Puerto Rico is also exempt from the PVSA until such time as U.S.-flag vessels service that route.

Foreign-flag vessels like Carnival’s vessels may transport passengers between U.S. ports without violating the PVSA if the vessel stops at a distant foreign port and the passenger traveled with the vessel to that distant foreign port.  

Guests who miss the ship in the homeport are not allowed to embark the ship in any port of call.  Any guest who unexpectedly disembarks the ship at a U.S. port of call, i.e., Alaska, Key West, Hawaii and Catalina, due to an emergency, which results in a violation of the PVSA, will be responsible for the resulting fine ($812 USD per person - subject to change). 

16 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Princess clearly practices good customer service. They didn't charge them the fine. They had told them to come along to the port, even though they were running very late. Then the port officials wouldn't let them get on the ship. Princess was okay with it, but the port authorities would not allow it. Luckily they live in Los Angeles, so it wasn't a huge deal. Things happen. 

There was no fine. The fact that the cruise is going to Tahiti makes it legal. Since Tahiti is a distant foreign port they can legally embark in Hawaii and disembark in LA.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I saw this on Carnival's site. So it seems to be a cruise-by-cruise rule. Carnival owns Princess, but obviously each brand makes independent decisions:

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) prohibits the transportation of passengers between two different U.S. ports on any vessel other than a U.S.-flag vessel that meets all requirements for U.S. coastwise transportation.  U.S. ports include U.S. states and U.S. island territories and possessions, with the exception of American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Puerto Rico is also exempt from the PVSA until such time as U.S.-flag vessels service that route.

Foreign-flag vessels like Carnival’s vessels may transport passengers between U.S. ports without violating the PVSA if the vessel stops at a distant foreign port and the passenger traveled with the vessel to that distant foreign port.  

Guests who miss the ship in the homeport are not allowed to embark the ship in any port of call.  Any guest who unexpectedly disembarks the ship at a U.S. port of call, i.e., Alaska, Key West, Hawaii and Catalina, due to an emergency, which results in a violation of the PVSA, will be responsible for the resulting fine ($812 USD per person - subject to change). 

No, it's not a cruise line decision. The law is the law. Your friends were doing a legal cruise because it was going to Tahiti. They were being transported from a US port (Hawaii) to a distant foreign port, Tahiti, and then returning to LA.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@ontheweb, LOL, I imagine that everyone in these type of positions (cruise terminal, airports, etc) have all sorts of stories about passengers and their actions.  Laughing about the antics helps keep us employees sane, and entertained my family during dinner with my stories from my work day.  The Covid protocols amped up the passengers' stress, along with all the airline schedules changes and cancellations.  While these factors don't excuse bad behavior, it does help to explain some of it. 

Really hoping that the 2023 season returns to the old normal

Would like your opinion, please.

We are doing a big family cruise to Alaska from Seattle in July, I always fly in a day or two before and will do so this time. My DB & SIL are planing on flying in from BUR (Burbank airport) to SEATAC the morning of the cruise, first flight out is around 7AM,  it's a 2 1/2 hour flight and I am trying to advise them not to but so far no luck. Is this actually doable for them? I'm thinking if anything goes wrong, they're missing out on the cruise.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Would like your opinion, please.

We are doing a big family cruise to Alaska from Seattle in July, I always fly in a day or two before and will do so this time. My DB & SIL are planing on flying in from BUR (Burbank airport) to SEATAC the morning of the cruise, first flight out is around 7AM,  it's a 2 1/2 hour flight and I am trying to advise them not to but so far no luck. Is this actually doable for them? I'm thinking if anything goes wrong, they're missing out on the cruise.

Thank you!

You know the answer. If nothing goes wrong, they will be fine. If there is a problem, you will be sailing without them.

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You know the answer. If nothing goes wrong, they will be fine. If there is a problem, you will be sailing without them.

@tonit964, I agree with my friend, @ontheweb.  It always better to arrive the day before, but at least your family members who will be arriving from CA will have more flight options, fewer miles to travel, and less chance of weather delays.

Since the 2023 season hasn't started yet, we don't know what the various cruise line's terminal protocols will be this season.  During 2022, both Celebrity and Royal had a hard close of the terminal doors at 3 pm for their 4 PM sailing.  Carnival had their hard close at 3:20 pm for their 4 pm sailing.  HAL and Princess moved up their departure time to 3 PM instead of the traditional 4 pm sailing.  And NCL, which sails from Pier 66, I believe leaves at 5pm or later.  And do remember, once the longshore workers pull the gangway, no one gets on or off the ship, even if it is still at the dock.

If your family members decide to arrive day of, I would encourage them to book one of those early flights.  Chances are it will work out, but there is always some risk.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@tonit964, I agree with my friend, @ontheweb.  It always better to arrive the day before, but at least your family members who will be arriving from CA will have more flight options, fewer miles to travel, and less chance of weather delays.

Since the 2023 season hasn't started yet, we don't know what the various cruise line's terminal protocols will be this season.  During 2022, both Celebrity and Royal had a hard close of the terminal doors at 3 pm for their 4 PM sailing.  Carnival had their hard close at 3:20 pm for their 4 pm sailing.  HAL and Princess moved up their departure time to 3 PM instead of the traditional 4 pm sailing.  And NCL, which sails from Pier 66, I believe leaves at 5pm or later.  And do remember, once the longshore workers pull the gangway, no one gets on or off the ship, even if it is still at the dock.

If your family members decide to arrive day of, I would encourage them to book one of those early flights.  Chances are it will work out, but there is always some risk.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I still have time to try and change their minds. 

• Like 1

Reading Cruise Critic before our first cruise, I learned about pier runners. Not a position I would ever want to be in, plus I can no longer run.

We have had two close calls being brought back late. In both cases we were on ship tours. On the first one some of the entertainers were on the same tour, and they were as concerned as we were. Our bus of people were the last ones to board. Second time the driver must have been new on the job or something, she had no concept that timing was a problem. When she pulled the bus in she was yelled at enough that I hope she got the message. 

Just know when you have to be onboard, and plan to be onboard a little earlier.