Question about the Alcoves on the Equinox

jean87510

I have this booked for my upcoming Equinox cruise in February.  I have a question or 2 about the food.  I understand it comes with complimentary amenities - four bottles of water, a fresh fruit plate, hand-held fans, and chilled towels.  Then the description reads "fresh, themed picnic baskets* from our specialty restaurants onboard - antipasti, Mediterranean seafood pasta, and salads from Tuscan Grille; jumbo shrimp cocktail, assorted berries, organic breads and healthy salads from Murano; fruit brochettes and country-inspired sandwiches from Bistro on Five. Plus, innovative specialty restaurant desserts and a special beverage menu*."  So here's my question.  Is there a menu that has food items you don't need to pay extra for?  And, if you are in Aqua class which we are, can we get food from there?  

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it anywhere.  TIA.

I have the same question. We are not aqua class but just wondering if you have to pay extra for the food? We are sailing on the silhouette in March. We sailed on Reflection a few years ago and did the alcove but I don’t remember having to pay extra for food and it was wonderful!

2 minutes ago, twtudor said:

I have the same question. We are not aqua class but just wondering if you have to pay extra for the food? We are sailing on the silhouette in March. We sailed on Reflection a few years ago and did the alcove but I don’t remember having to pay extra for food and it was wonderful!

I actually did find the answer to the regular free menu.  It is in the app under dining, then Alcoves, then there is a section that has Menu.  I looked on there and it had everything.  I just was fiddling around with my phone and found it.  It unfortunately did not give me the answer for Blu but I will ask when onboard in February.

10 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

It unfortunately did not give me the answer for Blu but I will ask when onboard in February.

Blu is only open for breakfast and dinner, I suspect it is not possible to get food from there during the day. If I recall, you cannot generally even order room service from Blu?

We just got off of the Equinox.    The Alcoves face the lawn area.   The awning or overhead protection is slatted wood.   Being in the Caribbean it usually rains sometimes during the day.  

Walking back for the Sunset bar to get to the stairs it was raining.    People were sitting there in the rain with water dripping thru the slats.  

I don’t see the fascination or purpose of having a alcove looking at a lawn.   I can sit on my front porch or back deck at home to look at the same.    When on a cruise I want to look at the water and I can do that on my veranda.    I can get any drink or food to  take to there for a bar or buffet or for the cost of a Alcove can pay for a lot of drinks using room service.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

We just got off of the Equinox.    The Alcoves face the lawn area.   The awning or overhead protection is slatted wood.   Being in the Caribbean it usually rains sometimes during the day.  

Walking back for the Sunset bar to get to the stairs it was raining.    People were sitting there in the rain with water dripping thru the slats.  

I don’t see the fascination or purpose of having a alcove looking at a lawn.   I can sit on my front porch or back deck at home to look at the same.    When on a cruise I want to look at the water and I can do that on my veranda.    I can get any drink or food to  take to there for a bar or buffet or for the cost of a Alcove can pay for a lot of drinks using room service.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well thanks for the input.  Very helpful.  

1 hour ago, travlr21 said:

Blu is only open for breakfast and dinner, I suspect it is not possible to get food from there during the day. If I recall, you cannot generally even order room service from Blu?

I don't know as it's our first time in Blu.  I will ask.  Maybe I will get lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You helped me skip the Alcoves.  We will be onboard during the Fall, so the weather is not too hot.  I do like to stretch out, which isn't possible on my deck.  It's the only true benefit.  Someone else also mentioned that people playing on the lawn can be loud, which takes away the enjoyment of a great book.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rainy114 said:

You helped me skip the Alcoves.  We will be onboard during the Fall, so the weather is not too hot.  I do like to stretch out, which isn't possible on my deck.  It's the only true benefit.  Someone else also mentioned that people playing on the lawn can be loud, which takes away the enjoyment of a great book.

I'm glad I could help!!  Yes, it was a one and done for us.  

I did the Alcoves on Equinox and on Reflection.  BOOORRRINGG.  Yes, we had the bottled water and our servers brought us fruit skewers.   We had to walk to the Sunset bar for beverages.  I brought travel-sized games to play, but we were still very bored just sitting there and looking across the lawn at the other Alcoves.  

I learned that it's not worth the extra money to sit on a ship when so much else is happening.  

We only book the alcoves if we have a ton of OBC to use.  It is nice to be able to use it as a sort of landing pad where friends can come and go during the day. I’d have a hard time convincing myself to pay cash for them.