New to Getaway - A few quick questions

Lakesregion

I will be sailing January 2023 out of NYC and have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to watch the sail out of NY harbor?

2. Which is the best Bar/lounge for a relaxing pre-dinner cocktail. Not sitting at the bar nor at a high top table but in a comfortable chair?

3. What is the best  low noise lounge/bar for a quiet after dinner relaxing beverage?

4. What are the slowest times in the main dining room for lunch?

5. What are the slowest times in the best of the three dining rooms for dinner for one or two people?

Thanks for the answers. I have been working 7 days a week in my business for three years now and am really looking for a relaxing 12 days and NCL was the only ship that fit my schedule.

• Like 2

(1) Along the Waterfront (outdoor area Deck 8 dress warm).

(2) & (3)  Sunset Bar mid-ship Deck 8

(4) The Main Dining Room (s) are only open on Sea Days.  Sea Days: Local (mid-ship Deck 7) and the Buffet are open.

(5) I travel solo and usually go to either Taste or Savior (toward the rear of the ship Deck 6) when they open about 5:30 P.M.

Enjoy

The Getaway is a wonderful ship.

39 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

1. Where is the best place to watch the sail out of NY harbor? If it wasn't January, I would say the Sun Deck on Deck 16. Start on the Port side for views of Manhattan and then switch over to Starboard for views of the Statue of Liberty. Then hang out for the bridge. It maybe way too cold. Then just hang out on Waterfront (pick one side). 

2. Which is the best Bar/lounge for a relaxing pre-dinner cocktail. Not sitting at the bar nor at a high top table but in a comfortable chair? Sunset bar is just about the only thing that meets those criteria. If you would not mind sitting at a bar, the Prime Meridian bar in Cagney's is nice. 

3. What is the best  low noise lounge/bar for a quiet after dinner relaxing beverage? Sunset bar is just about the only thing that meets those criteria. If you would not mind sitting at a bar, the Prime Meridian bar in Cagney's is nice. 

4. What are the slowest times in the main dining room for lunch? The MDR is open on sea days from 12:00-1:30. It's not open for long. If you wait for later, there is less of a crowd, but service is all backed up.  

5. What are the slowest times in the best of the three dining rooms for dinner for one or two people? Any time. Taste and Savor are small, less crowded feel, but tend to attract families... but there won't be many on your cruise. The Tropicana Room will have live music and dancing.

I’m new to NCL & also have some questions. Do I need to make a dinning reservation for each night if I plan to eat in the same MDR each night?  I assume I do this on the web site. 

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

Sunset bar does have nice seating.  Just to let you know, you'll be next to the cigar lounge.  I don't think the smoke permeates the area because there are always a crowd of people sitting out there.  I'm a cigar smoker so I could simply be oblivious to it

6 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m new to NCL & also have some questions. Do I need to make a dinning reservation for each night if I plan to eat in the same MDR each night?  I assume I do this on the web site. 

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

No

Just sailed on Getaway in October.  The bar advice-Sunset Bar is chill but Sugarcane Mojito Bar has comfy seats, great bartenders, low key entertainment (piano player/singer).  Also on deck 8 but in the middle by chandelier.  Great place to people watch! Different drink menu at each. 

Sail away outside consider Spice H2O.  You can go to both sides, comfy seating and a bar there to get a drink!  If it is cold and you need a place inside, go to Garden Cafe all the way to the back. 

The questions on dining room reservations-no you do not have to make a reservation but you can so why not?  The 3 dining rooms all serve the same dinner menu.  The Tropicana Room is a little fancier atmosphere.  

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I will be sailing January 2023 out of NYC and have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to watch the sail out of NY harbor?

2. Which is the best Bar/lounge for a relaxing pre-dinner cocktail. Not sitting at the bar nor at a high top table but in a comfortable chair?

3. What is the best  low noise lounge/bar for a quiet after dinner relaxing beverage?

4. What are the slowest times in the main dining room for lunch?

5. What are the slowest times in the best of the three dining rooms for dinner for one or two people?

Thanks for the answers. I have been working 7 days a week in my business for three years now and am really looking for a relaxing 12 days and NCL was the only ship that fit my schedule.

What is your sailing date?

If your sailing 1-8-2023 you should join the roll call, its pretty active

Edited by Laszlo

Thank you all for your very useful answers. I am looking forward to an enjoyable 12 days of not really doing anything but sleep, read and eat with a bit of sun when we get to the Carib. Made a dinner reservation at 7:30 (early for me when on vacation but---) for the first night in the fancy free restaurant and will wing it from there.

26 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Thank you all for your very useful answers. I am looking forward to an enjoyable 12 days of not really doing anything but sleep, read and eat with a bit of sun when we get to the Carib. Made a dinner reservation at 7:30 (early for me when on vacation but---) for the first night in the fancy free restaurant and will wing it from there.

If you are ok with the music, Tropicana Room is the way to go.  Its larger so there is usually not a wait and it just feels like what a cruise dining room should feel like.  Taste and Savor feel more like a land based restaurant.  

Also, all the bars on the waterfront have an outside area.  You can grab a drink and relax while watching the waves go by.  

I know you are looking for more of a relaxing cruise but I highly recommend checking out Syd's on one of their show nights.  There is usually a couple of nights where the house band has their scripted show and those are the best.  The other nights are usually Karaoke and when the cover band from the theatre plays there.   

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1