Carnival Venezia 29 Sep-14 Oct 2023

JOHN 57

On 6/18/2023 at 5:06 PM, JOHN 57 said:

Our ship is headed back to NY, and we have 102 days till our turn, means in 3 days we will be down to double digits.  My health, saw my doctor and he prescribed chemo type drug (3 pills per day) for 3 months.  That means my immune system will be down.  Updated my shots flu, Hep a and b, tentnus, and shingles.  Two more shots in July and August.  Yes, I am going, but I will be keeping my distance from others.  No offense.  Myriam will get my meals for me and we will eat in a secluded place.  first day will be crowded, so I will stay low and not venture out until much later, when everyone goes to bed.  Shows and comedians will arrive early and sit in the back and will be the last to leave.  So, this is going to work. Absolutely no salt, and I am delighted to see that the lobster has no salt.  On that night, will sit away from others, something will work out. 

download (1).png

what is the name of your chemo drug cause I've got things to tell you if it's Cytoxan

Edited by retltrcrr

15 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

Hello and the drug, I am taking is prednisone

Prednisone is not a chemo drug but a steroid.  Be prepared for unexplained weigh gain if your dosage is high.  After 3 months you can't just stop taking it, the dosage has to be stepped down gradually.  I was on it for 7 months high dosage, then 2 more months with intervals of decreasing dosage.  I gained 70 pounds without the pleasure of eating it on and it doesn't come off like it went on.   Google it for uses and side effects if you aren't familiar.  I've taken it for a week here and there for allergic reactions throughout the years.  Positive point is all your joints will feel like a million bucks as it's a super anti-inflammatory.   I hope this does the trick and resets your immune system away from your kidneys.  Do you have a balcony so you can at least enjoy the fresh air while staying out of the crowds?  I'd bring out the masks again for the plane and ship in your situation.  You sound determined to make the trip work so safe travels.

Edited by retltrcrr

1 hour ago, retltrcrr said:

Prednisone is not a chemo drug but a steroid.  Be prepared for unexplained weigh gain if your dosage is high.  After 3 months you can't just stop taking it, the dosage has to be stepped down gradually.  I was on it for 7 months high dosage, then 2 more months with intervals of decreasing dosage.  I gained 70 pounds without the pleasure of eating it on and it doesn't come off like it went on.   Google it for uses and side effects if you aren't familiar.  I've taken it for a week here and there for allergic reactions throughout the years.  Positive point is all your joints will feel like a million bucks as it's a super anti-inflammatory.   I hope this does the trick and resets your immune system away from your kidneys.  Do you have a balcony so you can at least enjoy the fresh air while staying out of the crowds?  I'd bring out the masks again for the plane and ship in your situation.  You sound determined to make the trip work so safe travels.

Hello and good morning, you are right it is steroid.  Not experienced any weight loss.  My doctor monitoring by blood tests, once a month.  I do feel good but the problem is not sleeping well, I get up early about 6 or 7.  Yes, we are wearing masks on the plane and aboard the ship.  Plan to be somewhat isolated.  No crowds, if I go to the shows or see a comedian, arriving early sitting in the very back and leaving last.  Eating in isolated spots, maybe hang out on deck 3 or 5 outdoors, where not so crowded.  I will not miss lobster night.  We have an inside cabin, and trying to get a balcony or window, but all sold, but will continue to check.  We are defintely going.

11 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I'm sure everyone is on top of it, but just a reminder that final payment is due by this Saturday July 1st. 😎

oh, yes made final payment on Friday

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

going in our rv, tomorrow the 29th-4 or 5 July, due Mustang Island state Park near Corpus Christi, so not posting for awhile.  But as soon as we return, will post.

Have a great, safe holiday! If you're near Corpus, it'll be a hot one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Have a great, safe holiday! If you're near Corpus, it'll be a hot one.

Yes, it will be hot, but a chance to get out, and the beach should be nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lakedweller64 said:

Have read some bad reviews about the Venezia.long lines bad food.Hope all is corrected for our sept. Cruise

Same. Like many, we're on B2B; sure don't want bad food for 2 weeks.

Did you see the picture of ice being delivered to the cabins? It's put in plastic bags and set on the floor outside the cabin - like dirty room service trays waiting to be picked up. Apparently there's an issue with the ice machines. Ugh

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

Hello evryone and good morning.  Just got back from Mustang island state Park near Corpus Christi, and it was perfect. We were gone since Friday in our rv.  Anyway we have 85 days to go, and our ship is in New York

download (2).png

• Like 1

Welcome back John! Its sounds like you had a nice few days away in your RV. I have enjoyed following your frequent updates on here for months about the Carnival Venezia and this itinerary. I am Rob from Massachusetts and I will be joining you and the others on this cruise. I will be traveling solo and excited to be returning to Aruba where I first visited with my wife(now deceased)forty years ago during our honeymoon in October of 1983. We returned there 20 years later for a day in 2003 on a Carnival cruise and now I hope to do it again 20 years later on this cruise.

• Like 1

Sounds like this ship is hosting MMA fight nights by no fault of her own.  The videos of fights breaking out, delayed disembarkation so the police can collect the offenders, drug dogs living and patrolling onboard.  I've been sailing Holland America for the last quite a few years.  I'm used to empty halls by 11 and bars closed up before midnight.  The Venezia has a full blown brawl in a nightclub at 5am!  And I'm on this sailing with a niece that's never cruised before.....Oh please let everybody grow up and behave before Sept 29 rolls around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well usually on summer cruises like that the complaints tend to be about all the kids and teens running around onboard and creating havoc. I have done mostly cruises on HAL and CCL recently and both are fine if you know ahead what to expect or not expect. If this had been on a HAL cruise it might have froze Cruise Critic up for a day or two because of all the responses it would have created. But even for CCL this was beyond the normal amount of stuff you usually encounter. As the Venezia's cruises get longer and the crew and pax adjust to the new ship the hot summer vibes should get tamped down and I think we will all be just fine in Sept/Oct.🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone, sorry about not being on, but sometimes, this kidney disease takes hold.  Anyway, took another test and still taking steroids for 3 months.  My efrg went from 20 to 41 and that is so good.  I know, that I am not out of the woods, but it is encouraging.  Have to see 2 more doctors tomorrow, which is Wednesday and will be on then.  So, thank you for putting up with me. See you Thursday.

• Like 1