Covid test Crown Princess Nov 9 sailing 28 day Hawaii South Pacific

Dive Girl

2 hours ago, Dive Girl said:

I have heard that the Crown Princess tested passengers for Covid on Monday. I'm guessing it's just because it's a longer cruise. Has anyone here heard of any cases onboard?

HI, just for my own clarification, are you saying that during the cruise which started Nov 9 from your thread title, while it was 6 days underway, that all of the passengers were forced to be tested?  Based on the title of your thread, is this a single 28 day cruise (I don't think so) or a multi-back to back totaling 28 days (more likely).  I'm just trying to understand what exactly happened - ie, perhaps you're referring to testing the back to back cruisers?  Thank you for clarification!

34 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

HI, just for my own clarification, are you saying that during the cruise which started Nov 9 from your thread title, while it was 6 days underway, that all of the passengers were forced to be tested?  Based on the title of your thread, is this a single 28 day cruise (I don't think so) or a multi-back to back totaling 28 days (more likely).  I'm just trying to understand what exactly happened - ie, perhaps you're referring to testing the back to back cruisers?  Thank you for clarification!

It is a single 28 day cruise round trip out of Los Angeles (San Pedro).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

They tested prior to boarding, then we’re required to wear masks indoors for the first 3 days and the test again at that time. 

Thank you for this information. How does the testing work?  They leave a test in your cabin to self test?  Or you line up to get swabbed?   Who do you report the test results to?

7 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

They tested prior to boarding, then we’re required to wear masks indoors for the first 3 days and the test again at that time. 

Interesting. It looks like Princess is quietly taking the new outbreaks seriously. This is the same procedure we had in January.

47 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

Wow, thank you and everyone else for the details......as marie asked above, how is this actually done?  The first test before boarding, is it monitored - ie, you have to go to CVS or use the Binax now telehealth test, etc, or is a self-test ok - and then for the next test 3 days later while on board, is it administered by the ship - them swabbing you - or are you allowed to do a self-test in your cabin and produce the results?

30 minutes ago, marie94949 said:

Thank you for this information. How does the testing work?  They leave a test in your cabin to self test?  Or you line up to get swabbed?   Who do you report the test results to?

I’m not on this cruise but when we were on a cruise that required testing before a port they asked us to be in our cabin at a certain time.  Two people came to the door and, standing in the doorway, swabbed us, then moved on to the next cabin.

• Thanks 1

This is an excerpt of the letter they received upon boarding (I was on the sailing before this and am still on the FB group for this page and one person is sharing all this info over there

Dear Princess Guest:
Welcome onboard Crown Princess. We look forward to sharing this voyage with you. Here at BRAND, the health and safety of our guests, team members, and the communities we
visit is our highest priority. Due to the length and itinerary of our voyage, out of an abundance of caution, we will be requiring guests on board to wear face masks while indoors for at least the first 3 days of our voyage. We also recommend wearing masks while indoors when ashore on tours
and on public transportation. As a further protective measure, we will be conducting a round of self-testing using self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests on Saturday, 12th November. Once we receive those results, we will update guests on if we need to continue our masking protocols. You will receive additional information about our testing protocols and your
test kits with instructions the morning of that required testing.
We recommend you use the complimentary surgical masks we've provided in your stateroom. If you need a replacement mask, please ask your Stateroom Steward, make a request using
CrewCall™ Chat using the MedallionClass app, or by calling Guest Services ext. 6000. Please refer to the health advisory from our Chief Health Officer and the other materials in your stateroom regarding the precautions we recommend to safeguard your health. If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, please immediately notify the Medical Staff by dialing
We appreciate your cooperation. On behalf of all of us at Princess, we wish you a bon voyage.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

This is an excerpt of the letter they received upon boarding (I was on the sailing before this and am still on the FB group for this page and one person is sharing all this info over there

Dear Princess Guest:
Welcome onboard Crown Princess. We look forward to sharing this voyage with you. Here at BRAND, the health and safety of our guests, team members, and the communities we
visit is our highest priority. Due to the length and itinerary of our voyage, out of an abundance of caution, we will be requiring guests on board to wear face masks while indoors for at least the first 3 days of our voyage. We also recommend wearing masks while indoors when ashore on tours
and on public transportation. As a further protective measure, we will be conducting a round of self-testing using self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests on Saturday, 12th November. Once we receive those results, we will update guests on if we need to continue our masking protocols. You will receive additional information about our testing protocols and your
test kits with instructions the morning of that required testing.
We recommend you use the complimentary surgical masks we've provided in your stateroom. If you need a replacement mask, please ask your Stateroom Steward, make a request using
CrewCall™ Chat using the MedallionClass app, or by calling Guest Services ext. 6000. Please refer to the health advisory from our Chief Health Officer and the other materials in your stateroom regarding the precautions we recommend to safeguard your health. If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, please immediately notify the Medical Staff by dialing
We appreciate your cooperation. On behalf of all of us at Princess, we wish you a bon voyage.

Thank you for this!

22 hours ago, lexmiller said:

This cruise is a 28 day LAX-LAX. The Crown left Kauai on the 16th and is on the way to Apia Samoa. Pago Pago stop was eliminated prior to the cruise leaving. The testing could be either for Apia or for Tahiti, the stop after Samoa. We're doing this cruise just for the Pago Pago stop, certainly hope we get to stop.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, lexmiller said:

Wow, thank you and everyone else for the details......as marie asked above, how is this actually done?  The first test before boarding, is it monitored - ie, you have to go to CVS or use the Binax now telehealth test, etc, or is a self-test ok - and then for the next test 3 days later while on board, is it administered by the ship - them swabbing you - or are you allowed to do a self-test in your cabin and produce the results?

The cabin steward gives everyone a test, you complete it and show the results to the steward. 
Probably will retest every one  a couple of days before Samoa stop, as other ships have been doing.  The Grand and the Magestic.

• Thanks 1

I'm on this cruise. The procedure has been exactly as others have described. Tested before boarding. Masks for 3 days. Tests were left in our cabins and we self tested and showed the results to our steward. The Captain announced the end of masking later that day. Rumor has it that we will have to test again either before Apia or Papeete.

And yes, there is some covid on board. One of the other passengers reported seeing tables outside a couple of cabin doors. DH and I continue to mask indoors.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, mom says said:

I'm on this cruise. The procedure has been exactly as others have described. Tested before boarding. Masks for 3 days. Tests were left in our cabins and we self tested and showed the results to our steward. The Captain announced the end of masking later that day. Rumor has it that we will have to test again either before Apia or Papeete.

And yes, there is some covid on board. One of the other passengers reported seeing tables outside a couple of cabin doors. DH and I continue to mask indoors.

Thanks for the info, "mom"!  Just to clarify, the preboarding test - self administered, correct?  No longer are the monitored/proctored tests required?  We are sailing this itinerary in a few months, several back to backs scheduled, so we are very keen to know the current testing procedures, understanding of course that things can change. 

So what I understand is this as of this moment in time - self-test before boarding, present the results.  3 days into the cruise, self-test again, present results to your steward.  If you are a back to back guest, no testing required at all to continue on the next cruise though will need to self-test 3 days into the voyage.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Thank you!

@lexmiller- our interpretation  of the preboarding test requirement was that it needed to be a monitored test ( in person at a lab or pharmacy, or online), which is what we did. Will that change before you sail? Who knows. Ive no idea what happens with a B2B, vs a S2S.

• Thanks 1