Suite boarding time - 1.00pm earliest?!

brad_p

We're staying in a GS on Quantum in about three weeks. We completed online check in and the earliest boarding time we could select was 1.00pm.

This seems a lot later than previous cruises that we've taken in a suite. I called RC and after being on hold for aaaages (playing the same song on loop) the rep advised I have to wait for the concierge's email a week before sailing and request an earlier boarding time from them.

Does that seem right?

I know there's lots of literature that says not to, but what are the implications of arriving at the port to board earlier than planned given we're in a suite?

If it makes any difference, we're boarding in Brisbane AU.

2 hours ago, brad_p said:

We're staying in a GS on Quantum in about three weeks. We completed online check in and the earliest boarding time we could select was 1.00pm.

This seems a lot later than previous cruises that we've taken in a suite. I called RC and after being on hold for aaaages (playing the same song on loop) the rep advised I have to wait for the concierge's email a week before sailing and request an earlier boarding time from them.

Does that seem right?

I know there's lots of literature that says not to, but what are the implications of arriving at the port to board earlier than planned given we're in a suite?

If it makes any difference, we're boarding in Brisbane AU.

You waited too long and the early times to arrive at terminal (not boarding times) are all "sold out". Those who completed check-in promptly, got all of the early times. That being said, just show up when you want. Don't bother with the concierge. 

We were on the Quantum to Alaska earlier this year and hated, hated, hated the Costal Kitchen. We sail in suites a lot (we were in an aft Loft suite on the Quantum) and had a miserable experience (food quality and service) almost every meal. I hope your experience is better. We went out the back door of CK into the Windjammer a couple of nights to find better food. It was the first time we felt necessary to walk out of a CK on any big ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels

If one of perks of being in a suite is priority boarding then it shouldn't relate on how quick you check in or not!

Thanks for the info re coastal kitchen. We're sailing with our 5yo and other family not in suite so don't think we'll be in CK at all. When I was last on Ovation I really enjoyed Solarium Bistro - hope that's still good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brad_p said:

If one of perks of being in a suite is priority boarding then it shouldn't relate on how quick you check in or not!

Thanks for the info re coastal kitchen. We're sailing with our 5yo and other family not in suite so don't think we'll be in CK at all. When I was last on Ovation I really enjoyed Solarium Bistro - hope that's still good.

Being in a suite doesn’t guarantee that you get earlier boarding, it means you get priority within your assigned port check in time (and that is determined by how quickly you get on with the online check in). Suite’s guests can arrive 1 hour earlier than their check in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:03 PM, BirdTravels said:

You waited too long and the early times to arrive at terminal (not boarding times) are all "sold out". Those who completed check-in promptly, got all of the early times. That being said, just show up when you want. Don't bother with the concierge. 

We were on the Quantum to Alaska earlier this year and hated, hated, hated the Costal Kitchen. We sail in suites a lot (we were in an aft Loft suite on the Quantum) and had a miserable experience (food quality and service) almost every meal. I hope your experience is better. We went out the back door of CK into the Windjammer a couple of nights to find better food. It was the first time we felt necessary to walk out of a CK on any big ship. 

We were on Quantum last month. Windjammer, MDR and Two70 served the worst food of any Royal sailing we have ever been on... Specialty was exceptional. 

You may try going earlier to the port and seeing how it goes. We were on the Quantum last month and were the first ship (or so we were told) to disembark at the new Brisbane terminal. Customs was short staffed as were baggage handlers, so disembarking took a lot longer than usual.  People were arriving to board the next cruise and had to wait outside the terminal. They have probably had several ships arrive/depart since then, so it may have gotten faster. If you get there early, there is a coffee shop right outside the terminal. I did not see any food places inside the terminal. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

You may try going earlier to the port and seeing how it goes. We were on the Quantum last month and were the first ship (or so we were told) to disembark at the new Brisbane terminal. Customs was short staffed as were baggage handlers, so disembarking took a lot longer than usual.  People were arriving to board the next cruise and had to wait outside the terminal. They have probably had several ships arrive/depart since then, so it may have gotten faster. If you get there early, there is a coffee shop right outside the terminal. I did not see any food places inside the terminal. Hope this helps. 

Thanks appreciate the info. Hopefully they have upped their game by now, our cruise is also a domestic one so no customs involved: one less bottleneck to deal with 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brad_p said:

Thanks appreciate the info. Hopefully they have upped their game by now, our cruise is also a domestic one so no customs involved: one less bottleneck to deal with 🙂

You will be fine, high quality Australian produce now.

• Haha 1