Dinner Attire

KayKayKay

Hello.  We’ve cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean but never MSC.  I’m having a hard time finding information.

1.  Are there any dining room requirements when in comes to attire.  The other cruise lines say collared shirts, etc. but don’t actually enforce it.

2.  What do the extras cost like tge movie theater, bowling, etc.?  Should I buy the pass beforehand for my 14 year olds?  (And it sounds like the pass is just a discount rather than providing them unlimited access.  Is that correct?)

3.  What other big differences should we be prepared for?

thanks!

26 minutes ago, KayKayKay said:

Hello.  We’ve cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean but never MSC.  I’m having a hard time finding information.

1.  Are there any dining room requirements when in comes to attire.  The other cruise lines say collared shirts, etc. but don’t actually enforce it.

2.  What do the extras cost like tge movie theater, bowling, etc.?  Should I buy the pass beforehand for my 14 year olds?  (And it sounds like the pass is just a discount rather than providing them unlimited access.  Is that correct?)

thanks!

1. The only requirement is no swimwear in the dining room for any meal and no shorts, flip flops or tank tops on Elegant night. Otherwise shorts / t-shirts are allowed at dinner (at least on Meraviglia & Divina). 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/what-to-wear

2. I saw the bowling was $ 8 on Divina, which seemed expensive. I’m not sure about movies or other options or the Unlimited Pass. 

3. Don’t expect a carbon copy of Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I found the food good to excellent, but there are less choices on the menu than other lines. You can order multiple items from each section of the menu.

Entertainment is unique in that there will usually be an acrobat, juggler, etc. incorporated into the music performances in the main theater.

The new muster drill is not as efficient as other lines. You watch a video on the TV, dial a number on your phone, then go to have your card scanned at your muster station. They do this for everyone at once, rather than letting people do it throughout the day prior to sailing as other lines do. You don’t have to stand in a group like pre-Covid, but the hallways and stairwells get crowded because they don’t allow the use of elevators for most people during the drill. TIP: As soon as the video is over, dial the number on the screen and head for your muster station to scan your card. You will best most of the crowd.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

Seashore individual prices.   This amount will be deducted from your total fun pass credit of $140 purchased for only $80 in advance.  The fun pass is also good on standard arcade games, air hockey, foosball, etc...

FB_IMG_1668888847523.jpg

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

On 11/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, JT1962 said:

1. The only requirement is no swimwear in the dining room for any meal and no shorts, flip flops or tank tops on Elegant night. Otherwise shorts / t-shirts are allowed at dinner (at least on Meraviglia & Divina). 

New to MSC... is there an 'Elegant Night' on every sailing? Even a 3-night cruise?

9 minutes ago, mast3rn8 said:

New to MSC... is there an 'Elegant Night' on every sailing? Even a 3-night cruise?

I’ve only been on 7 night or longer cruises with MSC, but I have read that they have one Elegant Night on the 3 & 4 night sailings. Hopefully others who have been on a 3 night sailing will reply.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mast3rn8 said:

We've just finished a 3 nighter in Brazil and there was no elegant night.

They did do white night and flower power.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, KayKayKay said:

thanks!

Unfortunately MSC has lowered its standards regarding US sailings, which are mostly Caribbean.  Of course, we love casual dining in the Tropics, but honestly, the difference now compared to ten years ago when MSC was new to Florida from Europe is sadly disapointing.  Dinner dress was once the European norm.  We still dress for dinner in the MDR,  OR if not in the mood, attend the buttet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, neptuno said:

Unfortunately MSC has lowered its standards regarding US sailings, which are mostly Caribbean.  Of course, we love casual dining in the Tropics, but honestly, the difference now compared to ten years ago when MSC was new to Florida from Europe is sadly disapointing.  Dinner dress was once the European norm.  We still dress for dinner in the MDR,  OR if not in the mood, attend the buttet.

I concur especially here in Brazil where I have sailed with MSC the past three years.

Tank tops, pool shorts, flip flops and baseball caps are a regular sight in the MDR sadly.

To be honest I suspect that Brazil is treated differently and most of the standards we would see in Europe are ignored.

Yes!  We love elegant nights.  Unfortunately there are those who chose to ignore elegance, wearing tank tops, pool shorts, flip flops and baseball caps to the MDR.  Perhaps MSC could do a better job in directing those ignorants to the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, KayKayKay said:

thanks!

Just got back from a week on Virtuosa and can answer questions 1 and 2 for you!

1. Dress codes are very much a suggestion. If you don't want to wear a suit or shirt to dinner you don't have to. I never understood people who get a bee in their bonnet about what other people wear. If you want to dress fancy go for it, if you don't then don't. MSC are fine with your choice either way, as are 99% of the other passengers. For those who want forced elegance, go on cunard. I saw ripped jeans and sweaters in the main dining room. I also saw people dressed fancy. Just dress in what you feel comfortable in, and you'll fit in either way (just don't wear swimwear!) 🙂

2. Photo of "fun" activity prices attached. Have to say we loved the 4d cinema and did it 3 times! Fun pass does get you extra for what you pay. 

20221121_214624.jpg

Edited by nikoo.s

On the flip side, MSC is keeping up with social norms.  Even the “formal” restaurants on land, aren’t formal anymore.  I quit wearing a suit every day to work over a decade ago.  It’s no longer required or desired…even for wedding attendees.

Cruise lines recognize packing suits and formal dresses take up a lot of luggage space.  That adds to more checked baggage, which in turn leads to more fees.

I applaud all the cruise lines who no longer wallow in the past, and have a keen eye to current norms.

I haven’t packed a suit, a sports coat, a tie, etc in a very long time.  I’m thankful that I don’t have to.  I always felt a bit disingenuous wearing a suite, jacket or tie on a cruise ship, anyway.  

Does that keep anyone else from dressing in a suit or sports coat?  Absolutely not.  If you feel the need, please do so.  Just understand, that’s a small minority these days.

• Like 2

I am happy to read that MSC doesn't strictly enforce dress codes in the MDR. My husband and I will be doing our first MSC sailing in April. I always appreciated NCL's dress code (or lack thereof) on my initial cruises. I then cruised with Celebrity several times, which has a stricter dress code. I stressed out a LOT about my first Celebrity sailing and ended up buying a new cruise wardrobe, consisting of what I now refer to as my "cruise uniform". It is casual enough to be comfortable and not feel overdressed in most situations, but formal enough to meet the requirements for Celebrity dining. Sounds like my cruise uniform will work just fine for MSC sailings as well.

Side note: I am sailing on Princess over the Holidays this year and I actually bought one very fancy dress and borrowed another so I can do true "elegant" attire for the form nights for Christmas and New Year's Eve. My husband bought a sport coat and button down shirt! We'll see how that goes....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I am happy to read that MSC doesn't strictly enforce dress codes in the MDR. My husband and I will be doing our first MSC sailing in April. I always appreciated NCL's dress code (or lack thereof) on my initial cruises. I then cruised with Celebrity several times, which has a stricter dress code. I stressed out a LOT about my first Celebrity sailing and ended up buying a new cruise wardrobe, consisting of what I now refer to as my "cruise uniform". It is casual enough to be comfortable and not feel overdressed in most situations, but formal enough to meet the requirements for Celebrity dining. Sounds like my cruise uniform will work just fine for MSC sailings as well.

Side note: I am sailing on Princess over the Holidays this year and I actually bought one very fancy dress and borrowed another so I can do true "elegant" attire for the form nights for Christmas and New Year's Eve. My husband bought a sport coat and button down shirt! We'll see how that goes....

Am anxious to hear of your Princess experiences.  You going to do a "live" thread?

Never sailed them.  I keep kicking the can down the road whether to book a Princess cruise.

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Am anxious to hear of your Princess experiences.  You going to do a "live" thread?

Never sailed them.  I keep kicking the can down the road whether to book a Princess cruise.

Will try to post frequently while on the cruise, since we do have wifi included, but I really won't know how well that will work until I am onboard.

• Thanks 1

I might mention that on both of our Seaside cruises, the only people I saw in shorts at dinner were a couple of pre-teen girls.  Certainly I didn't see everyone, but with a table near the entrance, right on the main aisle, I did see a lot of the passengers.  I credit this to the fact that there were many British, European, and South Americans aboard, who just choose to dress better than some Americans do.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I might mention that on both of our Seaside cruises, the only people I saw in shorts at dinner were a couple of pre-teen girls.  Certainly I didn't see everyone, but with a table near the entrance, right on the main aisle, I did see a lot of the passengers.  I credit this to the fact that there were many British, European, and South Americans aboard, who just choose to dress better than some Americans do.

I don't know if any dress better.  Dress differently?  For sure.  Not necessarily better.

Hot weather cruises lend themselves to casual dress.

I am curious though...  We don't usually bring ANY formal wear on the cruises for formal night for our NCL and RC cruises.  Is this going to bite us?   We are cruising on the Seascape (Western Caribbean) on January 29th, 2023.   We generally wear nice shorts, button down shirt and decent "summer" mens shoes.  Like someone else said, it is hot weather, so we don't feel comfortable dressing up, especially on vacation!  Does anyone have any insight on how this will go over??

Thanks in advance!!

Let's have a look at MSC's website for the USA, shall we?

At the bottom of the homepage, there are three columns of links. The center column is "TRAVEL INFO" and the top link in that column is "Before You Go." That link takes you to the page below.

Before-Departure.thumb.png.7df5c8fd89771f8288792c17c9dde039.png

Clicking on "What to wear on a cruise" will take you to the page below.

What-to-Wear-on-a-Cruise.thumb.png.839d93a8ed956ecc0c9cf119d3ce6f55.png

Each of those sections opens, giving various "suggestions" and "recommendations." As is completely expected with MSC, there are policy points that can seem contradictory. (Surprising; I know.) None of that is the most relevant detail, though.

What is important is that MSC includes a "Dress Restrictions" policy, saying they may enforce it. So, maybe Joe Schmuckatelli and his party of five slipped by with T-shirts, or shorts, or flip-flops, or whatever, flouting restrictions for a particular time and/or place.

That doesn't mean a crew member won't call out another passenger on another occasion.

Don't be a Joe Schmuckatelli. Play it safe like A.J. Squared-Away and stay on the right side of the if-they-feel-like-it restrictions. Just in case. 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LICruiser61 said:

I am curious though...  We don't usually bring ANY formal wear on the cruises for formal night for our NCL and RC cruises.  Is this going to bite us?   We are cruising on the Seascape (Western Caribbean) on January 29th, 2023.   We generally wear nice shorts, button down shirt and decent "summer" mens shoes.  Like someone else said, it is hot weather, so we don't feel comfortable dressing up, especially on vacation!  Does anyone have any insight on how this will go over??

Thanks in advance!!

I would say to at least bring a pair of slacks to change into for dinner on gala nights.

• Like 2

I have seen a man with wife and kids refused entry to a restaurant wearing a "soccer shirt and shorts"

he didn't argue, left his family went back and changed no problem.

Yes Europeans do like to dress up and wear some beautiful clothes .

• Like 4