Queen Victoria - stateroom power outlets

Shelltoxx

Embarking on our first cruise ever, and it's for 49 days sailing from Southampton to Sydney. Feeling rather brave at jumping in at the deep end. Anyway, reading the 'what to pack' guidelines I've learned that hair dryers are not permitted as the on board electrical systems don't support high-current electronics. I would like to pack a hair styler but have no idea what a high or low current electronic is or what current my styler uses. Does anyone know what amp/watt/whatever the power outlets in the staterooms allow? Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, lissie said:

There are hair dryers provided - you are not allowed to use your own on any cruise ship - fire at sea is a much bigger risk than sinking! 

Hair dryers are permitted. I don't bother as I find the provided one adequate, but I could bring one if I wanted to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

There are hair dryers provided - you are not allowed to use your own on any cruise ship - fire at sea is a much bigger risk than sinking! 

They're not on the prohibited list, the UK website says this -

I don't bother taking one, I have very thick hair but it does the job eventually.

Screenshot_20221121-203138-494.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shelltoxx said:

Embarking on our first cruise ever, and it's for 49 days sailing from Southampton to Sydney. Feeling rather brave at jumping in at the deep end. Anyway, reading the 'what to pack' guidelines I've learned that hair dryers are not permitted as the on board electrical systems don't support high-current electronics. I would like to pack a hair styler but have no idea what a high or low current electronic is or what current my styler uses. Does anyone know what amp/watt/whatever the power outlets in the staterooms allow? Thanks in advance.

I'll assume a 'hair styler' is a hair dryer.  It's the wattage that counts.  Years ago I blew out half our deck plugging in my hair dryer on a Costa ship,; I was mortified.  So I never bring anything that could be considered high wattage.  Your QV steward will probably find whatever you need if you just ask, it will work properly and not cause trouble. 

Have a SUPER time!  QV is our favorite ship ever ... we'd just walk around for an hour every morning admiring her elegance.  Plan your own port activities before you sail ... QV provides no information except for their own Shore Excursions.  On formal nights, you can find a table in the corridor leading to the MDR, order a glass of champagne and watch the incredible parade of finery on the way to second seating.  Having done far too many formal dinners already, we found that far more fun than actually formally dining.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Such great advice, thanks jsn55!

Yes, my 'hair styler' is a rotating hot air brush -- gives the same 'just stepped out of a salon' blowout as just stepping out of a salon but without the price tag, and I can't do my hair any other way. I've seen another thread that gives very conflicting advice, quoting Cunard's own rules that also seem to be conflicting; 

Use of electrical appliances.

Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted.

See https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/warnings?otprrf=1

But also;

The on board electrical systems in your stateroom do not support high-current electronics. We provide lower current hair dryers in all staterooms and irons are available in our laundrettes. Please do not pack your own iron as this will not be permitted on board.

So I was a bit confused. I think I'll take it with me and ask when on board - I'd hate to blow the electrics like someone else we won't mention 😉

May I finally ask what the MDR is please? And would you recommend booking an 'open' dining time or the late sitting for our party of two? Thanks so much for replying to my first question though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shelltoxx said:

Such great advice, thanks jsn55!

Yes, my 'hair styler' is a rotating hot air brush -- gives the same 'just stepped out of a salon' blowout as just stepping out of a salon but without the price tag, and I can't do my hair any other way. I've seen another thread that gives very conflicting advice, quoting Cunard's own rules that also seem to be conflicting; 

Use of electrical appliances.

Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted.

See https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/warnings?otprrf=1

But also;

The on board electrical systems in your stateroom do not support high-current electronics. We provide lower current hair dryers in all staterooms and irons are available in our laundrettes. Please do not pack your own iron as this will not be permitted on board.

So I was a bit confused. I think I'll take it with me and ask when on board - I'd hate to blow the electrics like someone else we won't mention 😉

May I finally ask what the MDR is please? And would you recommend booking an 'open' dining time or the late sitting for our party of two? Thanks so much for replying to my first question though.

Oops, sorry, the MDR is a 'main dining room'.  We had dinner there one night, but we prefer to have a small meal late in the afternoon instead of a big dinner, and don't want to be constrained by a reservation.  So we mostly dine at the buffet.  We don't cruise for the food ... but appreciate a nice setting with good service.  I had a kerfuffle about the drinks package the first day, and pitched a polite fit after an hour or two of run-around.  For several days, the F&B manager would bring me a glass of champagne when we showed up, that was kinda fun. 

I agree with you about the published 'rules' on a cruiseship, they're often too general to really answer a question. I'd just check the wattage of your appliance and compare it to a curling wand and a hair dryer ... but I suspect it draws too much current to be allowed on the ship.  I can't remember if QV has a self-laundry ... but that would be one place you could use your styler without worrying about the wattage.   Forgot to mention that your hair looks much like mine did ... before I 'got old'!!

Edited by jsn55
add thought
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Depends on the wattage, not the brand.

This is not correct.  I have seen repeated reports of Dyson products not working on ships, even ships that allow personal hair dryers.  I believe it has to do with the electronics of the "digital" motor used in Dyson products.  I have also seen reports where ceramic hair straighteners also fail to work on ship, and this is likely due to electronics as well.  Those who report a complete failure of these products to work on ship also report that they work just fine on land.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Oh! No! I’m leaving my Dyson hairdryer at home, but I’ve packed my Ceramic hair straighteners (this year’s Christmas pressie). Doomed.😊😊😊😊.

just as well I’ve made appointments at the hair salon on board.

What on earth is ceramic hair? And can’t you get it made ready straightened from the kiln? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Oh! No! I’m leaving my Dyson hairdryer at home, but I’ve packed my Ceramic hair straighteners (this year’s Christmas pressie). Doomed.😊😊😊😊.

just as well I’ve made appointments at the hair salon on board.

For info, my GHDs [both wide and narrow plates] worked just fine on all three Cunard ships.

4 hours ago, techteach said:

I’ve brought my travel electric hair curlers. Yes, I really do use them rather than a curling wand due to rotator cuff tear. Do you think they’ll confiscate them?

Pretty sure they'll not draw too much power ... but I suppose technically they could be considered a 'heating element' and therefore banned.  At sea, I just use plastic rollers on damp hair and sit on the balcony for a while in the breeze.

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Pretty sure they'll not draw too much power ... but I suppose technically they could be considered a 'heating element' and therefore banned.  At sea, I just use plastic rollers on damp hair and sit on the balcony for a while in the breeze.

Not on the Atlantic in December, surely 😳

• Haha 3