Do they serve lunch in the dining room on day of embarkment

uncleboo

It depends on the ship; a couple of weeks ago we were early enough for the dining room on the Oosterdam in Barcelona, but  it was closed.  One of the chefs who was coming out of the side door told us it wasn't open for embarkation lunch, so we headed to the Lido.  A bit busy, but not so that we weren't able to get a table.

Edited by ger_77

Any idea on why the MDR is not always open on the embarkation day. We have cruised CCL, NCL and Princess in 2022 and found one of the dining rooms open on each of our 6 cruises.

On a full ship which seems to be more of the norm, the buffet is overloaded, not a great way to start our cruise which leaves in a few weeks. 

41 minutes ago, seekatz said:

Any idea on why the MDR is not always open on the embarkation day. We have cruised CCL, NCL and Princess in 2022 and found one of the dining rooms open on each of our 6 cruises.

On a full ship which seems to be more of the norm, the buffet is overloaded, not a great way to start our cruise which leaves in a few weeks. 

I'd love to know that myself since I despise the Lido.  It's impossible to get an answer on the koningsdam.

The answer to the OP's question is that it depends on the phase of the moon.  It is so logical I have no idea why any HAL cruiser would have an issue.  I still remember one HAL cruise where, upon boarding at embarkation day, we asked a few of the staff if there was lunch in the MDR.  Several different staff told us no!  So, we walked over to the MDR and yes, it was open for lunch :).  Just another day.

Hank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hank in Florida you just show up whenever  according to several posters on this board. Boarding times are mentioned just for giggles.

Giggles for you and me :).  But many here do take those assigned boarding times very serious and would likely report one to the principal if they dared to report early.

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Giggles for you and me :).  But many here do take those assigned boarding times very serious and would likely report one to the principal if they dared to report early.

Hank

I've been very vocal about showing up at the requested time.  I'm a rule follower. What was exceptionally funny was a person that said she show up whenever she feltl like it.  This same person called me self absorbed. Clearly a dictionary was in order.

17 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I've been very vocal about showing up at the requested time.  I'm a rule follower. What was exceptionally funny was a person that said she show up whenever she feltl like it.  This same person called me self absorbed. Clearly a dictionary was in order.

Been following the thread (and your comments) with lots of interest.  We are cognizant that many HAL fans can never find any fault with their beloved cruise line and would happily sing "Nearer my God to Thee" as their ship went down :).  

I will try to put some sanity to all the various posts (here and elsewhere) and quite a few recent reviews.  While we normally have 5 or 6 cruises booked, at the current time we only have 1 booking and it is a 42 day Westy cruise.  Yesterday, I mentioned to DW that we should be booking some cruises (we have quite a few ideas) and she said, "do not book any more HAL cruises until after we take our Westy cruise (March).  We both have lots of concerns but want to see for ourselves.  If HAL has truly deteriorated to the extent that some have posted, we would be unlikely to book any future HAL voyages.  Although we have long been HAL fans (we are 5*) we are also very happy on many different cruise lines.  The question that we must answer is whether the HAL of today meets our needs/wants when compared to their competition.  While many HAL fans have an attitude of just accepting whatever HAL does, we are always comparing various cruise lines and looking for the best overall value (value does not necessarily equal price).  There is also a new cruise line on the horizon (Explora Journeys) that has our attention.  At the moment we love MSC for short cruises in their Yacht Club and are very pleased with Seabourn for longer itineraries.  In its best day, HAL is not even in the same ballpark as either of those two cruise lines.   But HAL has long had some amazing itineraries at very good prices.  But these days there are several other lines with fantastic itineraries (i.e. Seabourn, Oceania, Azamara, Princess, Viking, and the soon to be Explora Journeys) that we wonder if HAL can compete.  

By the way, we are shocked about the "paint" incident mentioned in a post.  We actually had our own "paint incident" while on a back to back Zuiderdam cruise in the Baltic (several years ago) and the situation got so bad that we gave HAL a simple choice...."stop painting near the air inlet that was flooding our section of the ship with dangerous fumes, or we were leaving the ship at the next port."  Fortunately, the Hotel Manager did intervene with Engineering and the painting stopped.  That particular cruise/incident was the worst onboard situation we have ever had in over forty years of extensive cruising.  We simply shook it off as a one-time thing but now we wonder.

Hank

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Been following the thread (and your comments) with lots of interest.  We are cognizant that many HAL fans can never find any fault with their beloved cruise line and would happily sing "Nearer my God to Thee" as their ship went down :).  

I will try to put some sanity to all the various posts (here and elsewhere) and quite a few recent reviews.  While we normally have 5 or 6 cruises booked, at the current time we only have 1 booking and it is a 42 day Westy cruise.  Yesterday, I mentioned to DW that we should be booking some cruises (we have quite a few ideas) and she said, "do not book any more HAL cruises until after we take our Westy cruise (March).  We both have lots of concerns but want to see for ourselves.  If HAL has truly deteriorated to the extent that some have posted, we would be unlikely to book any future HAL voyages.  Although we have long been HAL fans (we are 5*) we are also very happy on many different cruise lines.  The question that we must answer is whether the HAL of today meets our needs/wants when compared to their competition.  While many HAL fans have an attitude of just accepting whatever HAL does, we are always comparing various cruise lines and looking for the best overall value (value does not necessarily equal price).  There is also a new cruise line on the horizon (Explora Journeys) that has our attention.  At the moment we love MSC for short cruises in their Yacht Club and are very pleased with Seabourn for longer itineraries.  In its best day, HAL is not even in the same ballpark as either of those two cruise lines.   But HAL has long had some amazing itineraries at very good prices.  But these days there are several other lines with fantastic itineraries (i.e. Seabourn, Oceania, Azamara, Princess, Viking, and the soon to be Explora Journeys) that we wonder if HAL can compete.  

I have no plans to book another hal cruise for at least a year, maybe longer.  I'm reluctant to mention to much because people will dismiss it as nothing.  Is it the end of the world, no

Today's fun

1) for the second time in two weeks the water to the ship is being turned off from midnight to 4.  At least we got notified this time.  Last week it was a surprise.

2) I had about $200 obc non refundable at the end of last week. I was told use it or lose it by 2 people, one said it will roll over. I said I'd like that in writing.  Nope. So I spent it.  I've met some peeps in my cabana.  They got told no problem, there non refundable will role.

3) I had a 5 star dinner to use last night. I went to canaletto and told them. No problem.  I got charged so I complained thru the app.  Nope that's only for the pinnacle. That's wrong 

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have no plans to book another hal cruise for at least a year, maybe longer.  I'm reluctant to mention to much because people will dismiss it as nothing.  Is it the end of the world, no

Today's fun

1) for the second time in two weeks the water to the ship is being turned off from midnight to 4.  At least we got notified this time.  Last week it was a surprise.

2) I had about $200 obc non refundable at the end of last week. I was told use it or lose it by 2 people, one said it will roll over. I said I'd like that in writing.  Nope. So I spent it.  I've met some peeps in my cabana.  They got told no problem, there non refundable will role.

3) I had a 5 star dinner to use last night. I went to canaletto and told them. No problem.  I got charged so I complained thru the app.  Nope that's only for the pinnacle. That's wrong 

Argh.  Not sure if you can get to the HAL web site (they might block it for those on the ship) but here is the cut/paste from the 5* benefits,  Perhaps you can show this to Guest Services and they will learn the policies of their own employer.

Two complimentary dinners in your choice of Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind or Canaletto (free surcharge only)

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Argh.  Not sure if you can get to the HAL web site (they might block it for those on the ship) but here is the cut/paste from the 5* benefits,  Perhaps you can show this to Guest Services and they will learn the policies of their own employer.

Two complimentary dinners in your choice of Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind or Canaletto (free surcharge only)

Hank

Thank you.  I spoke to the front desk on another matter tonight.  I said to him by the way I’m supposed to get the choice of those restaurants and he said absolutely you are.  He asked me who told you you couldn’t.  I couldn’t remember her name and you could tell he was annoyed.  I said to him now you know why I’m frustrated.  This earlier person argued and argued with me.  It wasn’t like she said I’m not sure let me ask 🙄.

9 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you.  I spoke to the front desk on another matter tonight.  I said to him by the way I’m supposed to get the choice of those restaurants and he said absolutely you are.  He asked me who told you you couldn’t.  I couldn’t remember her name and you could tell he was annoyed.  I said to him now you know why I’m frustrated.  This earlier person argued and argued with me.  It wasn’t like she said I’m not sure let me ask 🙄.

Typical HAL - you have to ask several people at times to get the correct answer.  Main reason I check my bill daily.

• Like 1