Taieri gorge railway excursion 2023

CU64

Does anyone living in NZ have an opinion about this train reliability running next March and is it worth the trip for sightseeing.

6 hrs can get long on a trip with no real stops, towns, & average food.

ty in advance. Cruise ships have a lock on it & it is pricey but would like to see country side

11 hours ago, CU64 said:

Does anyone living in NZ have an opinion about this train reliability running next March and is it worth the trip for sightseeing.

6 hrs can get long on a trip with no real stops, towns, & average food.

ty in advance. Cruise ships have a lock on it & it is pricey but would like to see country side

You could email Good (Goode?) Tours.  As a local operator and cruise ships buying out the train in the past, he was then promised seats for his tours.  The trip is well worth it for the scenery. There is some quite rugged country!  People seemed to like the light food from the catering car, but we managed the trip without eating.  I would recommend going.

It seems to be true that the ships but out the train.

A few weeks ago I emailed the train operator and asked if the train was running on such and such date. In had an instant reply confirming that "yes, the train is operating on that date" , with a detailed itinerary. 

I then asked where I coukd buy independent tickets, as the cruise lines are always hiking up the prices .

To THAT question I had NO reply. 

That just confirms the theory that the ships buy all the seats.

So, if there is a large cruise liner in port (or TWO) as on the day we will be there, it's going to be a ship-fight (😉) to get a nice seat on the train.

I admit that I would RUN for it.

No prisoners!

But then I hear that the (some?) cruise lines allocate numbered seats for the train.

The train journey is well worth it, best journey I did was on a day of sleet and snow.

Its not cheap, but neither is the cruise you are on.

I'd rate it better than the TransAlpine or the bus trip to Edoras (Mt Sunday)

There must be a way to buy tickets. I'd say they have monopolised the train for cruise passengers but they would still have tickets for people staying in hotels. 

We found this overseas. We were on an independent bus tour. We stopped at a zipline place. They asked if we were off the ship and when we said yes they said sorry we signed a deal with the cruiseline and we can't sell to you.  

11 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

There must be a way to buy tickets. I'd say they have monopolised the train for cruise passengers but they would still have tickets for people staying in hotels. 

We found this overseas. We were on an independent bus tour. We stopped at a zipline place. They asked if we were off the ship and when we said yes they said sorry we signed a deal with the cruiseline and we can't sell to you.  

No, the cruise ships contract the whole train, except if Good Tours still has his allocation.  Many years ago I booked direct with the railway, but they no longer keep seats aside.  

if you are staying in a hotel, you take the train on a day there is no ship in port.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

If you are staying in a hotel, you take the train on a day there is no ship in port.

The Taieri Gorge Train is only running on days when there is a cruise ship in port. Taieri Gorge Train Schedule

There is another trip which is basically the Taieri Gorge route called the Inlander and it operates on these dates only - 

Sunday 4 December 2022

Sunday 29 January 2023

Saturday 11 February 2023

Sunday 5 March 2023

and two special Christmas trips - 

Saturday 17 December 2022

Sunday 18 December 2022

8 hours ago, buchhalm said:

But then I hear that the (some?) cruise lines allocate numbered seats for the train.

Our seats were pre allocated and our tour was through Good Company Tours. This was Nov 2018. It looks like Good Company Tours are closed.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

I've just booked this excursion for NCL Spirit in January. What happens if there's 2 ships in Port? Do they use 2 trains or share one?

I only know that when we will be in port with Celebrity Eclipse,  the Norwegian Spirit will be there as well. Given the port time, i think thar we could only do a morning departure 

For those comparing the Taieri Gorge Rail trip to what was offered prior to Covid, it is important to note that most of the historic line has been mothballed or 'put into hibernation' due to it not being economical to keep the line maintained. The council has committed to keep the track open to Hindon until 2024.

So you used to travel to either Pukerangi or all the way to Middlemarch. Most ship tours took you to Pukerangi which took in most of the scenic parts of the journey. From early 2020, the track was closed beyond Hindon. Hindon covers approx the first half of the full journey. I'm sure you'll still enjoy the scenery, and it still includes an impressive viaduct and several tunnels, but it's certainly not the journey it used to be pre-covid.

We did the full trip to Middlemarch on a land trip to NZ rather than buy the ship tour. These days the Taieri Gorge shortened route only operates about once per month on a non-ship day for the general public, at a cost of $60 or $50 seniors NZD.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For info I have just received a reply to my enquiry about December 2023, here is the main bits of their reply, I suspect by 'this season' they mean 2022.

"We are delighted to advise that The Taieri Gorge Train Tour is definitely going ahead this season. This is now a 5 hour tour from Port Chalmers into the Taieri Gorge (Hindon Station).

This includes transfers to and from the train station, and a snack box on board."

https://www.taierigorgeshoreexcursion.com/

"All bookings are available for purchase direct with the Cruise Line.

The Cruise Lines are currently working on loading the tours online and these will soon be available for sale to all passengers. The tour will be available for sale by the time you board the ship (at the very latest) and it will most probably be available for purchase prior to boarding, so please check with your Cruise Line directly.

Due to limited capacity this year, the entire train has been allotted to the cruise lines on cruise ship days."

On Grand heading to Dunedin on Monday. The destination expert just mentioned that the train that normally picks you up where the ship docks at Port Chalmers for the Taieri ship excursion is currently not running but instead they've organised a coach to take you to the start in Dunedin.

She also confirmed that the Taieri trip is only half the length of previous years and turns around at Hindon.

Also said that the Dunedin Railway Station is getting a facelift so is covered in cloth from outside so won't see exterior, but can still look inside.

The ship shuttle will be $35 return, Port Chalmers to Dunedin, or $20 one way if you're doing your own thing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

On Grand heading to Dunedin on Monday. The destination expert just mentioned that the train that normally picks you up where the ship docks at Port Chalmers for the Taieri ship excursion is currently not running but instead they've organised a coach to take you to the start in Dunedin.

She also confirmed that the Taieri trip is only half the length of previous years and turns around at Hindon.

Also said that the Dunedin Railway Station is getting a facelift so is covered in cloth from outside so won't see exterior, but can still look inside.

The ship shuttle will be $35 return, Port Chalmers to Dunedin, or $20 one way if you're doing your own thing.

That is a  shame but inside is beautiful.

• Like 1

Thank you for clarifying the train tour.

I was THIS close to bite the bullet and fork out $500+ per person for the train ride in January.

I am not going to do that now.

I refuse to be taken for a ride (pun intended). The price is outrageous and I hope that other cruisers  will refuse this extortion as well. 

• Like 5

That sounds a huge amount to pay.

We had a memorable for the wrong reasons trip on the train a few years ago in summer.

Our group were allocated classic/old carriages. It was hot. No air con.

A bushfire had started nearby.

The train had to stop.

We were there for a while watching aircraft drop buckets on the fire.

There seemed to be minimal staff and getting water to drink was difficult.

Eventually we were able to get off.

We were on a land trip not a cruise.

We loved the scenery in NZ but would not repeat the train trip.

The train station was worth a visit.   

31 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Thank you for clarifying the train tour.

I was THIS close to bite the bullet and fork out $500+ per person for the train ride in January.

I am not going to do that now.

I refuse to be taken for a ride (pun intended). The price is outrageous and I hope that other cruisers  will refuse this extortion as well. 

Dirty dogs! That is horrific price gauging. 

• Like 1

If the train trip is $50 to $65 on non ship days, and $500 for cruises then that is ridiculous.
I am keen to do this trip but if our cruise (Celebrity Edge) offers it at even half of this they can shove it.😠

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wookie01 said:

If the train trip is $50 to $65 on non ship days, and $500 for cruises then that is ridiculous.
I am keen to do this trip but if our cruise (Celebrity Edge) offers it at even half of this they can shove it.😠

I wonder how much of the $500, the train company (?Private/Govt) gets?

• Like 2

We just did the train trip on Grand Princess last month (8th Nov I think).  I believe we were the first to do this post covid shut down.  They have cobbled together what carriages they could manage in a hurry, some better than others and it was organised at the last minute with Princess.  It cost us AUD$299.95 each through the ship.  We were bussed to Dunedin and then the trip went as far as Hinden and back then bussed back to the ship.  The volunteers running the train were ecstatic that were there again.  This time there was no wine served on board, just the lunch pack.  Coffee and drinks were available in the buffet car at a reasonable price.  We had a great day.  I have previously done the full trip some years ago but my son hadn't and wanted to go.  I was not disappointed.

Pity that the station is covered in plastic but they were close to shutting everything down so it is good to see some life again.

• Like 2