Period to renew a passport

I renewed both of my parents passports 2 weeks ago. I paid the express fee for both because I didn't want to risk it. 

We submitted the application on a Saturday morning in Brisbane CBD. They were ready for collection on the Monday.

Alternatively my sister submitted hers for renewal mid year and it took more than 10 weeks to get it, and that involved several desperate visits to the passport office.

1 hour ago, Womble99 said:

I would like to say good luck, but I hope they have improved their service.

Mine took just under three months when submitted in Feb and my sons took nearly 5 months when submitted in Apr this year 😒

Was yours for a renewal?  I would expect a renewal to be quicker than a new passport. Details were all done on line prior to lodgement.  Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry unless a trip from left field comes up! 

I applied for a renewal last Monday (21 Nov) and have been notified it is already in the post (registered mail) - I hope to get it tomorrow or Friday (that will make a turnaround of 10 or 11 days - did not pay priority and was told at the post office it would be a minimum of 6 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Wombat706 said:

I applied for a renewal last Monday (21 Nov) and have been notified it is already in the post (registered mail) - I hope to get it tomorrow or Friday (that will make a turnaround of 10 or 11 days - did not pay priority and was told at the post office it would be a minimum of 6 weeks.

Thats awesome Wombat, maybe all those extra staff that were employed are making a difference.  I'm sailing at Christmas so didn't want to risk it!  And to justify the additional fee we've booked 2 cruises for next year too 

My passport wasn't even due for replacement until April 2024.

We have a cruise booked for Nov 2023 which would need the new one then (allowing for the 6 month remaining on a passport requirement for our destinations). 

I was going to wait until after our NZ cruise in Mar/Apr 2023 but didn't want to be without a passport for months between Apr and Nov just in case, so the window to get one now made sense.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, MMDown Under said:

I submitted my Passport Renewal Application today.  The lady asked whether i was in a hurry.  I replied "no".  She said it would be 6-8 weeks!

Received new passport, Monday, 19/12.  Took 19 days excellent service.  Now I can dream again!!

• Like 2

My mum renewed her passport thinking it would take a long time and she has a trip planned next year. Sent her application last week recieved tracking details from post yesterday. No priority or express so I reckon the passport office must have cleared the backlog. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

My mum renewed her passport thinking it would take a long time and she has a trip planned next year. Sent her application last week recieved tracking details from post yesterday. No priority or express so I reckon the passport office must have cleared the backlog. 

That is good.  Yes,  Once they cleared the backlog renewals shouldn't take long. 

Lodged my Passport application at local post office, Monday 12.12.22.

Advised Wednesday 14.12.22 (6.58 am) that it was approved and to expect within a week.

Tracked to Dandenong South  Vic Facility Wednesday 14.12 (2.58 pm).

Northgate Qld Sunday 18.12 (4.11 pm)

Onboard for local delivery Tuesday 20.12 (9.09 am).

Not delivered Tue, Wed, Thur so lodged a customer enquiry.  Told probably delayed due to high volume of mail this time of year.

Delivered to home address by usual postie (signature required) Fri 23.12 (1.05 pm).

TOTAL 11 DAYS!!!

However, my husband's application which was included in the joint Passport Office account and lodged at the same time, was not approved until Wednesday 23.12 and is still at the Dandenong South facility.  Perhaps the applications are processed in different  areas because his is a 5 year Passport and mine is for 10 years.

19 hours ago, joll said:

Lodged my Passport application at local post office, Monday 12.12.22.

Advised Wednesday 14.12.22 (6.58 am) that it was approved and to expect within a week.

Tracked to Dandenong South  Vic Facility Wednesday 14.12 (2.58 pm).

Northgate Qld Sunday 18.12 (4.11 pm)

Onboard for local delivery Tuesday 20.12 (9.09 am).

Not delivered Tue, Wed, Thur so lodged a customer enquiry.  Told probably delayed due to high volume of mail this time of year.

Delivered to home address by usual postie (signature required) Fri 23.12 (1.05 pm).

TOTAL 11 DAYS!!!

However, my husband's application which was included in the joint Passport Office account and lodged at the same time, was not approved until Wednesday 23.12 and is still at the Dandenong South facility.  Perhaps the applications are processed in different  areas because his is a 5 year Passport and mine is for 10 years.

I received advice my passport was on its way on 14/12,  I received it 5 days later on 19/12 probably due to heavy Christmas mail.  Interesting that you can track your passports' progress.  

52 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting that you can track your passports' progress.  

When the Passport Office advised that my Passport was on its way, they gave me a tracking number.  I had to then log on separately to Australia Post to find out further movements.  My husband's Passport was scanned at Northgate last night so hopefully it will be delivered next week.

• 3 weeks later...

i have been very impressed by the renewal process for my australian passport. 

i wanted my local post office to take my passport photos, so expected to have to make an appointment. i was surprised to find photos & application could be done straight away.

on 21 december 2022 i paid the post office $301 for regular processing & $27 for taking the photos. 

on 5 january 2023  i was notified my passport was ready & being despatched via australia post. today i received my new passport! 

the whole process of non-urgent renewal for my passport took 18 days including xmas/new year public holidays! quite impressive!

• Like 1