Current Weather in Bimini Bahamas - December 2 cruise boarding will be delayed

lidopuppy

We got this advisory from Carnival saying boarding tomorrow will be delayed "due to weather conditions"  in Bimini Bahamas...Looking at the current weather in Bimini, that makes no sense to me. No rain, and only 22 mph wind...Why would they spin this as a weather issue as to why the ship hasn't left Bimini and/or will be delayed getting to Port Canaveral?

GUEST ADVISORY

EMBARKATION ADVISORY
CARNIVAL LIBERTY– DECEMBER 2, 2022

December 1, 2022

Dear Carnival Liberty Guest,

Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami has been actively monitoring the weather in the Bimini area.  Unfavorable conditions are making it difficult for the ship to safely depart.  This could impact the scheduled arrival time into Port Canaveral and your embarkation tomorrow.  We will continue to monitor the situation and provide you with timely updates.  Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you receive our final update. 
  • Thanks 1

a cruise ship is like a giant sail. wind can push and pull the ship around making it unsafe to navigate the ship. if a heavy gust of wind pushes the ship back to the dock as the ship is sailing away, bad things can happen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

a cruise ship is like a giant sail. wind can push and pull the ship around making it unsafe to navigate the ship. if a heavy gust of wind pushes the ship back to the dock as the ship is sailing away, bad things can happen

Thank you shof515. 

1 hour ago, lidopuppy said:

We got this advisory from Carnival saying boarding tomorrow will be delayed "due to weather conditions"  in Bimini Bahamas...Looking at the current weather in Bimini, that makes no sense to me. No rain, and only 22 mph wind...

I'm seeing 22 or 23 KNOT winds there, so more like 26 mph.  That's getting up there for maneuvering a large ship with so much area exposed to the wind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'm seeing 22 or 23 KNOT winds there, so more like 26 mph.  That's getting up there for maneuvering a large ship with so much area exposed to the wind.

Yes indeed.  

I remember being told by the Captain during a Behind the Fun tour that we had just barely made it to Grand Turk, as prevailing winds were close to the limit of 30 knots (or it might have been mph).  

A hurricane was receding away from us but its winds were still affecting the area.  The water was choppy -- with 1-foot waves between the ship and the beach, which is a short distance at GT  -- and all water excursions were cancelled. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Current Location as of 6:20AM.

She looks to arrive at PC at around 2:30 PM

John Heald posted that arrival should be around 3:20 PM.  It's going to be a mess for folks getting off, I've been through that once before when Elation arrived 4 or 5 hours late because of severe storms.  

Carnival will most likely be sending texts to passengers on the next cruise telling them when to arrive at the port, although one person currently onboard was complaining that she wasn't given any information about updated arrival times and she had an international flight which would likely be missed.

• Like 1

I tried to post a link to the video, but had no luck.

Please google  "Bimini Bahamas Channel Navigation" for a video that shows how narrow the channel is.  

It makes it easier  to understand how wind blowing can cause problems for a cruise ship,

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Liberty is speeding back to Port Canaveral - 23 knots!

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Wow!
Max speed is listed as 22.5 knots, so they’re REALLY in a hurry!! 😳

Most likely benefitting from a 4-6 knot Gulf Stream.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, groundloop said:

although one person currently onboard was complaining that she wasn't given any information about updated arrival times and she had an international flight which would likely be missed.

Which is why you should have a day's flight buffer either way

I was just wondering in what way will we be compensated for the lost time? On a normal 7 day cruise, 8 hours isn't too bad...but on a 3 day cruise, when our original time was 10:00 a.m,  this is a major delay.. We'll miss pretty much the first full day... 

Just now, lidopuppy said:

I was just wondering in what way will we be compensated for the lost time? On a normal 7 day cruise, 8 hours isn't too bad...but on a 3 day cruise, when our original time was 10:00 a.m,  this is a major delay.. We'll miss pretty much the first full day... 

Anything you get from Carnival is a gift.  They can't control the weather, and contractually, you aren't entitled to anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lidopuppy said:

What lost time.?

First, 10 AM was your pier arrival time, not your boarding time.

Second, it is a common misconception that the cruise length is counted in days when it is actually in nights.

Look at the itineraries. Day one starts at the departure time, the last day ends when the last passenger leaves the ship (usually before 10 AM). You will have the same number of full nights as booked.

While Carnival may offer a small amount of OBC because of the delay in boarding, you will still have the same length of cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1