Any "must not miss" ports in Norway?

Piaa

Hi everyone - considering the Azamara Quest 17 night July 26th 2024 Dublin to Oslo cruise and as I am not familiar with the region (just started to consider this cruise) are there any "do not miss" or "make sure you stop at **** port" that we should be sure the sailing visits.

Thank you for any suggestions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piaa said:

Hi everyone - considering the Azamara Quest 17 night July 26th 2024 Dublin to Oslo cruise and as I am not familiar with the region (just started to consider this cruise) are there any "do not miss" or "make sure you stop at **** port" that we should be sure the sailing visits.

One of the issues is that some of the nicest ports can no longer be visited by ‘normal’ cruise ships. These are mostly Fjord ports like Flam & Geiranger who will only allow ships that produce zero emissions.

Other than those two, I would say the Lofoten Islands are a must. The scenery is spectacular. Bergen is lovely and it’s good to go to the North Cape (port might be Honnisvag)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

One of the issues is that some of the nicest ports can no longer be visited by ‘normal’ cruise ships. These are mostly Fjord ports like Flam & Geiranger who will only allow ships that produce zero emissions.

Is that a recent change?  I've been aware of various restrictions around burning bunker oil, as well as some movement toward requiring ships that are docked to use shore power.  LNG also seems on the forward direction, but I wasn't aware of any cruise ships actually using it yet.

Looking at the Flam port schedule, there seems to be quite a variety of ships, ranging back to the rather elderly Artania.  

I can understand local community concerns about cruise ship emissions, especially in such settings, but I wonder if there are other factors involved; maybe a limit on total passenger arrivals.  I don't have any direct knowledge, so I'm prepared to be educated.

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Other than those two, I would say the Lofoten Islands are a must. The scenery is spectacular. Bergen is lovely and it’s good to go to the North Cape (port might be Honnisvag)

Thank you so much - the cruise includes cruising the North Cape and stops in Loften Islands and Honningsvag so thats good.

10 minutes ago, Piaa said:

Thank you so much - the cruise includes cruising the North Cape and stops in Loften Islands and Honningsvag so thats good.

Nordkapp and Honingsvag are both beautiful as is Svolvær (photo below). It's a brief visit and not one you can avoid as you sail in and out, but Trjollfjord is lovely.

The situation with the limitations that Grandma Cruising mentions looks to be an evolving one. Norway seem to be tightening up ecologically and it's hard to know where this will go. Azamara are older ships using propulsion and fuel systems that are not state of the art. 

Phil 

6C9350F4-4CB0-4E65-BB36-C1EE2C5F55E9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Is that a recent change?  I've been aware of various restrictions around burning bunker oil, as well as some movement toward requiring ships that are docked to use shore power.  LNG also seems on the forward direction, but I wasn't aware of any cruise ships actually using it yet.

Looking at the Flam port schedule, there seems to be quite a variety of ships, ranging back to the rather elderly Artania.  

I can understand local community concerns about cruise ship emissions, especially in such settings, but I wonder if there are other factors involved; maybe a limit on total passenger arrivals.  I don't have any direct knowledge, so I'm prepared to be educated.

Just done a bit more research on this issue and found that the zero emissions policy is from 2026, so Fjord stops should be possible until then.

https://www.marinelink.com/news/catching-cruise-offguard-norways-466482

• Like 1

The other issue though is that ships must be able to connect to shore power eg not run their engines in port. That’s why Bergen is now off limits to Azamara. From what I understand an upgrade to do that is not on the cards. As Phil said Azamaras older ships are hitting limitations 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I did a bit more research and saw that Artania might be old, be she was reported to have gotten new engines 6-8 years ago, so is probably able to meet recent emission standards.  I suppose that could be true of other ships docking there as well.

• Like 1

I can confirm zero emission from 2026 applies to the Geiranger and Næroyfjord. These are Unesco World Heritage sites and all other fjords are "cruiseable" without restrictions.

The docking in Bergen is possible without land power. In the future there might be restrictions to be able to use land power, but capacity on land is not close to cover all ships.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

I can confirm zero emission from 2026 applies to the Geiranger and Næroyfjord. These are Unesco World Heritage sites and all other fjords are "cruiseable" without restrictions.

The docking in Bergen is possible without land power. In the future there might be restrictions to be able to use land power, but capacity on land is not close to cover all ships.

Thanks. We were told there was no capacity but it’s great to get the local experts clarification 😀😀

On 12/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, uktog said:

Thanks. We were told there was no capacity but it’s great to get the local experts clarification 😀😀

That was what the skipper told us, too. He had it from Miami. Turned out they just played a white lie. You don't get banned from Bergen if you are unable to take shore power. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

If anyone goes to Flam, the Fjord Safari was the highlight of our cruise of the Norway Coast.  I was hesitant to go but it was a real blast.

Flåm is part of the UNESCO Heritage area, hence restricted for ships with higher polutive emission. Azamara is now restricted from that area already, but many other with more modern engines still are eligible for sailing.  In 2026 these areas will be «No emission» and very few are able to sail here.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, Piaa said:

Which ports would you be visiting during your cruise? We have enjoyed Norway very much. The Fiords are fantastic. All Norwegian ports have their charm. One port I like is Alesund. Another one is Molde. And of course Bergen.

Ivi

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked for Norway in June 2023 and I have done some preliminary research on tours but would love some input about highlights!  DH wants to do the Crab Safari ….  is it worth it?!  Can Bergen be done on our own?! The smaller ports it looks like there are specific tours offered… any not to be missed?  For the AZMazing Evening…there is a placeholder listed as Best of Norway in Tromso… anyone remember any details from their AZ cruise?!  Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Bergen is very easily doable on your own. If you get the chance to do the Flam railway, do it through the ship as the queues can be enormous.

In Geiranger we did an independent bus tour https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

At Honningsvag we did a super independent tour with Blue Puffin tours - 2 bus loads of passengers from the ship booked this https://www.blue-puffin.com/en/#north_cape_sightseeing_tour_english_wrapper.

In Lofoten we did a brilliant RIB tour to Trollfjord & to see the sea eagles https://www.fjordtours.com/things-to-do-in-norway/fjord-cruises/sea-eagle-safari-to-trollfjord-rib/

From Molde we did an independent bus tour to see the Great Atlantic Road https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/destinations-in-norway/molde/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5aiG8LSL_AIVm-3tCh3p1AFVEAMYASAAEgKjuvD_BwE

We just walked around on our own in Alesund which is a lovely little town.

Bodo we walked around on our own. It has a great street art walking tour. You just call in to the tourist office and get a map of where the paintings are, then follow the trail.

• Like 2

GC!  

Many thanks for some great advice… will follow up on all of it, especially the advice on which ports we can tour on our own… since some days I like to be lazy and not have to get up early and off the ship! Someone on our Roll Call has toured with Blue Puffin so great to hear it is very popular with AZ cruisers! 

How bouncy was the RIB boat? DH has back issues so we are cautious when travelling! but I was looking at a tour of Trollfjord since we are going for the scenery!! 

Mary

6 hours ago, Turangi! said:

GC!  

Many thanks for some great advice… will follow up on all of it, especially the advice on which ports we can tour on our own… since some days I like to be lazy and not have to get up early and off the ship! Someone on our Roll Call has toured with Blue Puffin so great to hear it is very popular with AZ cruisers! 

How bouncy was the RIB boat? DH has back issues so we are cautious when travelling! but I was looking at a tour of Trollfjord since we are going for the scenery!! 

Mary

It was a very calm day so very little bouncing at all. Trollfjord is enclosed water and a lot of the rest of it is too. I guess it depends on the weather. Here’s a couple of photos from it.

FE98C2C9-4198-455F-8686-C001BEDB99E4.thumb.jpeg.48321e71f9b010115cf6b6115a756439.jpeg

E2E74D60-CA04-4D7C-AC8B-304B351B7596.jpeg.8c9eaf64db1ac385f9df924bd17f863e.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Bergen is very easily doable on your own. If you get the chance to do the Flam railway, do it through the ship as the queues can be enormous.

In Geiranger we did an independent bus tour https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

At Honningsvag we did a super independent tour with Blue Puffin tours - 2 bus loads of passengers from the ship booked this https://www.blue-puffin.com/en/#north_cape_sightseeing_tour_english_wrapper.

In Lofoten we did a brilliant RIB tour to Trollfjord & to see the sea eagles https://www.fjordtours.com/things-to-do-in-norway/fjord-cruises/sea-eagle-safari-to-trollfjord-rib/

From Molde we did an independent bus tour to see the Great Atlantic Road https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/destinations-in-norway/molde/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5aiG8LSL_AIVm-3tCh3p1AFVEAMYASAAEgKjuvD_BwE

We just walked around on our own in Alesund which is a lovely little town.

Bodo we walked around on our own. It has a great street art walking tour. You just call in to the tourist office and get a map of where the paintings are, then follow the trail.

A brilliant summary, Denise. I can chip in that «The Best of Norway» was a show that was held on Quest this summer in Ålesund as a «Destination Celebration» event. It is probably the same show in Tromsø held as an «Azamazing Evening» and therefore in a venue on shore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktraveller said:

We are booked on the 24th July 2023 Norway intensive cruise and are looking at possible excursions. 

Does anyone know if the ship actually sails into the Trollfjord? Or is this best seen on a shore ex from Svolvaer? 

The Pursuit 24th July does not go north of Trondheim, at least that is what the available itinerary says. 

Sorry

47 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

The Pursuit 24th July does not go north of Trondheim, at least that is what the available itinerary says. 

Sorry

Oops, we’re on the 24th June, not July! 

itinerary says

01 July 06.30. -19.00 Trollfjord

01 July 07.00-17.00  Svolvaer

Edited by uktraveller