Lodging recommendations for Seward and transportation from Anchorage to Seward

boomie

Hey, looking for some lodging recommendations for Seward. I checked Expedia and everything looks the same. No major hotel chains and everything looks the same. Nothing really sticks out.

We're a family of 4. 

Also, what's the best way to get down Seward from Anchorage? Cheap is nice, but is there a guided tour? I'll have a rental car in Anchorage, so a daytrip to Seward is a possibility.

I feel so uncomfortable with this Alaska cruise. 

We like the Harbor 360 Hotel for lodging.

I don't know what the "best" way to transfer to Seward from Anchorage means -- the cheapest? The most scenic?  But there is no commercial air service between Anchorage and Seward.  The options are by  Alaska Rail Road or by highway.  There are motor coach options.  The cost of a one-way car rental may be surprisingly expensive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boomie said:

Hey, looking for some lodging recommendations for Seward. I checked Expedia and everything looks the same. No major hotel chains and everything looks the same. Nothing really sticks out.

We're a family of 4. 

Also, what's the best way to get down Seward from Anchorage? Cheap is nice, but is there a guided tour? I'll have a rental car in Anchorage, so a daytrip to Seward is a possibility.

I feel so uncomfortable with this Alaska cruise. 

It is very common for people to be overwhelmed with Alaska travel planning but once you experience the destination, you'll realize how easy it really is. For travel to Anchorage from Seward, you can either Train or take a bus both take your bags. ACT Big Bus goes directly to the airport, assuming that's where you'll get your car rental. 

9 hours ago, boomie said:

[W]hat's the best way to get down Seward from Anchorage? Cheap is nice, but is there a guided tour? I'll have a rental car in Anchorage, so a daytrip to Seward is a possibility.

I am not quite certain what the larger plan might be. Is it that you'll be in Anchorage with a desire to travel round-trip to Seward, for sightseeing purposes? Is it that you'll be in Anchorage with a desire to travel one-way to Seward, for the purpose of embarking on a cruise vessel at that port? Or maybe something else? This issue would likely have a significant effect on the practicability using a rental automobile.

Otherwise, there are bus and rail options, as well as hiring a car, for the journey. On days when vessels are in port in Seward, the bus may include sightseeing as an option to an otherwise direct transfer. The railroad is generally considered to be a more scenic route than the highway, though more expensive than bus travel.

Overall, there is no singularly "best" way for travel between Anchorage and Seward.

I absolutely loved the train from Anchorage to Seward. It is very scenic and comfortable. Not the cheapest but it is memorable and is ranked as one of the top scenic train rides in North America.

Harbor 360 hotel used to be a Holiday Inn Express I believe. Very centrally located.

I toured Windsong once and really liked it but it is more outside of the town. They ran a shuttle into town. I would stay at either place. Though two entirely different types of places to stay.

Sometimes not having national chains is a good thing - in Seward, it is a good thing 🙂

Seward is a gem. If you can spend 2 full days here before your cruise - do it!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

Harbor 360 hotel used to be a Holiday Inn Express I believe. Very centrally located.

I toured Windsong once and really liked it but it is more outside of the town. They ran a shuttle into town. I would stay at either place. Though two entirely different types of places to stay.

Coral is correct -- the Harbor 360 was originally a Holiday Inn Express.  We stayed there once when it still was a HIE and several times since it became the Harbor 360.  The building was purchased by the owners of Major Marine, and now folks check-in for their Major Marine excursions at the Harbor 360.  This ownership is the reason for the packages offered which include hotel stay and Major Marine excursions.

The Windsong really is out of Seward.  It is located on the road to Exit Glacier.  Even though they run a shuttle (or at least did pre-covid) this is a place to stay if you have a vehicle.  And anyone booking the Windsong without a vehicle needs to confirm that the hotel still offers a shuttle.  Alaska in general is experiencing a severe labor shortage, and folks who have commercial driver's licenses are in short supply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Windsong really is out of Seward.  It is located on the road to Exit Glacier.  Even though they run a shuttle (or at least did pre-covid) this is a place to stay if you have a vehicle.  And anyone booking the Windsong without a vehicle needs to confirm that the hotel still offers a shuttle.  Alaska in general is experiencing a severe labor shortage, and folks who have commercial driver's licenses are in short supply.

Good point! Definitely have a car or confirm they have a shuttle.

We’ve stayed at the Windsong the last two summers (2021, 2022) and didn’t have a car. The hotel did have a shuttle (but I would still call to verify) that went into to town hourly. The shuttle was available to get us to/from the train station as well.  There is also a shuttle that will take you to Exit Glacier (twice a day?) for $25 pp.  There is also a pretty good restaurant on site for a quick bite.  We like to sit on the balcony with a glass of wine—beautiful grounds and pretty quiet.

Have also stayed at Harbor 360 as well.  A different vibe from Windsong—in town, on the water front.  Loved the proximity to coffee shops and tours.  We stayed there using a package with Major Marine Kenai Fjords tours.

On our first visit to Seward, we stayed at the Seward Hotel.  Very dated but the staff were wonderful!  Quirky, older rooms.

• Like 1

How long do you have? We flew into Anchorage late at night, spent the night in Anchorage. Bright and early the next morning we took the Gold Star dome train to Seward, picked up our rental car, and stayed the next 3 nights at Summit Lake Lodge in Moose Pass, which is about an hour outside of Seward. Highly highly recommend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...