CPAP Need to bring extension cord?

loving goldens

I boarded Noordam this afternoon and face this same issue. I assume the cabins are similar size. My stern verandah cabin has a USB port, but no plugs by the bed. But my CPAP machine has a long cord, and I have tested and found that I can make it from the plugs on my desk to the nightstand on that side of the bed. I will have to put the CPAP away each morning or the cable would be in the way. You might search the forums, I believe this issue has been discussed previously. I seem to remember some people saying they were able to get an extension cord from their cabin steward. By the way, my distilled water only cost a couple of bucks and was waiting on my desk when I boarded!

• Thanks 1

Ask your room steward for a cord or call ship services before the cruise and request one be in your cabin, no charge.  They would rather you used theirs since there can not be a surge protection on the cord. One less thing to have to pack. 

• Thanks 1

The Rotterdam, like the other Pinnacle ships, have outlets beside the bed!  At least in the Verandah cabins.  Haven't seen a non-verandah cabin to know for sure they have the same outlets.

As a side note, on our last cruise the ship did not receive their shipment of distilled water until about day 4 of the cruise.   I usually fill a metal water bottle (with a screw on lid taped down!) with some distilled water to last a couple of nights just in case!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I carry an old fashioned extension cord with me every time I travel. They have come in handy in many pre-cruise hotel rooms, as well as the ship itself. 

A simple cord, with a receptacle on one end, and a plug on the other is safe. If you bring one long enough it can go around the perimeter of the cabin, and be taped down (masking tape removes more easily than other kinds), to prevent tripping. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, loving goldens said:

We are sailing for our first time on Holland Rotterdam next year... I know I have to prepay for distilled water but do we have to bring extension cord?  TIA 

While you should probably have no issues with the ship providing a cord, or having a nearby plug, I would pack a non surge  protected extension cord regardless.   Cords are easy to pack and, easy to store if you don't need it, but it would be a hassle if you have to spend time trying to track one down if something goes amiss between Seattle and the Ship.   Plus as @RuthC mentioned they can come in handy at precruise hotels etc.   You can put one in the outside pocket of a suitcase and leave it there.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Enkcream said:

Just off the Rotterdam, used cpap, no extension cord needed outlets are on each side of bedside wall.

Perfect thank you we are in an oceanview for our first Holland cruise...I would think they would be the same layout as a balcony.... I think we will pack one just in case... thk you for your help   🙂

19 hours ago, liketraveling said:

I call ship services ahead of time for an extension cord.

if you are staying in a Signature Suite or Neptune they usually have a outlet at the bedside.

Could you please post the number? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 8:53 AM, loving goldens said:

Perfect thank you we are in an oceanview for our first Holland cruise...I would think they would be the same layout as a balcony.... I think we will pack one just in case... thk you for your help   🙂

We always book ocean view and on the Rotterdam the outlets are right next to the bed as well as a USB port.  You also have additional outlets at the desk area across from the bed with both American and European outlets and additional USB ports.  Although we always use distilled water at home the water on the ship is desalinated so it is safe to use in your CPAP right from the tap.

Helen

9 hours ago, Nowcruise5 said:

So, how do I pre order distilled water?

Have your TA contact HAL, or if you didn't use a TA, call HAL and place the order. Order as many gallons as you will need for the length of your cruise, as if you order from room service on board, the price is higher. 

8 hours ago, Riversedge said:

Can you carry on a gallon of unopened distilled water?

You are allowed to, but with your carry-on, and whatever else you are handling, are you sure you want to lug a gallon of water, too? 
For the price on board, I don't have the stamina to lug a gallon of water, too. It would take more than that out of me. 

20 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You are allowed to, but with your carry-on, and whatever else you are handling, are you sure you want to lug a gallon of water, too? 
For the price on board, I don't have the stamina to lug a gallon of water, too. It would take more than that out of me. 

That’s all I would be carrying. No carry-on  this time.   I need it for sinus washes.  Otherwise I have to take a water purifying pump to use with tap water. One gallon would last me a week.  Thanks for the info.  

I always carry an extension cord packed with my CPAP. Interestingly enough, it was "discovered" and confiscated on recently boarding a Celebrity cruise. It was a standard (low tech) cord but still not allowed on board. Of course, our cabin steward quickly provided a similar cord for the trip duration.

We'll be soon cruising on the Eurodam and I called regarding distilled water. They said that I could reserve a gallon and pay now with a credit card but not OBC. Alternatively, I could wait and request it from our cabin steward who will provide it at no cost (probably). I took the hint and will ask the cabin steward once on board. For $3, I'm not lugging it to and onto the ship. 

John