sydney international cruise terminal car pick

Hi all.  This question may have been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it - so here goes.

We are returning on the Noordam on 14th January and are being collected from the terminal by car. Is it possible to be collected from outside the terminal, or how do we go about it? Is it easy for a car to access the area, or streets nearby for someone who is not familiar with Sydney?

Any suggestions very welcome., and Thank You in advance.

Someone more knowledgeable might correct me, but I don't think pick up is possible in the immediate vicinity of the OPT.

Suggestion 1 is to get them to park a couple of hours in one of the Rocks carports and return to the car together.

Suggestion 2 is depending on where you are returning to meet up at a suburban rail station.

One issue is it may be hard to predict when you will leave the terminal. And the weekend markets may make it harder to navigate.

Edited by grozzy1

There is a drop-off / pick-up area right outside the terminal. The tricky bit is getting to it especially on a weekend when the markets are open. It's well organised but isn't a big area. I recommend getting whoever is picking you up to wait somewhere on the way to the terminal until you contact them to tell them you are outside the terminal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

Someone more knowledgeable might correct me, but I don't think pick up is possible in the immediate vicinity of the OPT.

Suggestion 1 is to get them to park a couple of hours in one of the Rocks carports and return to the car together.

Suggestion 2 is depending on where you are returning to meet up at a suburban rail station.

One issue is it may be hard to predict when you will leave the terminal.

Sorry, mate, but this is totally wrong. 

• Like 1

Private vehicles can pick up passengers directly in front of the OPT.  The easiest access is if you enter from Hickson Road ( under the bridge) into George St .and left into the terminal. The person picking you up can /should be able to find parking along Hickson Road back towards Barangaroo. Worst case scenario they could park in the Barangaroo Car Park ( Wilsons I think) for an hour or so. You should have an “ indicative” debark time from the ship the night before and providing no hick ups, you can easily co ordinate with your pick up  and ring them when you are outside the terminal as they will only be five minutes away. A touch of patience in case of an unforeseen delay will make this a simple and easy process.    Seeing that you are debarking on a Saturday there will be street markets but you should be off the ship early enough to not be affected

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your replies. After much thought and careful consideration we have decided to walk to the train station and catch a train to Kiama and get  picked up from there.. much easier for all concerned. We shouldnt have that much luggage and it’s not that far. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 10:06 AM, freanesi said:

Thank you all for your replies. After much thought and careful consideration we have decided to walk to the train station and catch a train to Kiama and get  picked up from there.. much easier for all concerned. We shouldnt have that much luggage and it’s not that far. 

That’s certainly an option. Easy walk to Circular Quay Station.

You will drag your luggage around to the station, purchase tickets or use a credit card at turnstiles, then catch the train to Central ,get off , drag your luggage to the intercity platforms and wait for the train to Kiama. Check timetables as it could be a long day.

Edited by sydgal
Extra info

14 hours ago, sydgal said:

You will drag your luggage around to the station, purchase tickets or use a credit card at turnstiles, then catch the train to Central ,get off , drag your luggage to the intercity platforms and wait for the train to Kiama. Check timetables as it could be a long day.

Have done that many times but never had to "drag" luggage. Granted, it could be a chore for some who ridiculously over-packed. You make it sound more onerous than it is. Those four-wheelie suitcases are great, so easy to move along.

Pay taxi with credit card or scan at turnstile no extra chore there and, if prepared, have  Opal card at the ready.

By train you know the cost and the train driver is not about to try and rip you off.😉

• Like 1