A comparison of the Liberty of the Seas and Sky Princess

In November/December we did two great cruises, one on the Liberty of the Seas and another on the Sky Princess, I thought it would be a decent idea to compare the two to see how they match up and to see what differences there are now that cruising seems to be back 100%. These two cruises are really our first real cruise since COVID. While we did a 3 day last year, things were so different then. So this is a post-COVID, "cruising-is-back review for real" review. So here goes.

About us: We have 32 cruises under our belts and are Diamond on RCI and Platinum on Princess

Embarkation/Disembarkation:

Embarkation was equally fast and efficient on both lines and we found ourselves on both ships PDQ. In fact, we were early enough that the buffet barely had a chance to open. Disembarkation: I have to give to Princess. They had facial recognition equipment and we literally walked right through like nobody was there once we had our facial recognition complete.

Verdict: Princess

Ship amenities:

This one might be a bit subjective because the lines seem to have separated themselves a bit and what appeals to me might not to others. RCI has the Royal Promenade (why more lines don’t do this is a mystery), wave runner, slides and lots of activity around the pool. On the other hand, I’m in my early 60’s DW is late 50’s and we know those things bring kids, loads of kids, and its not something we're into now. Princess has the Piazza, a wonderful pool deck with lots of places where you can peacefully lie out, the Retreat pool for adults and even an upscale area called the Sanctuary. So for me to compare the both ships might be a bit unfair but I have to do it based on what appeals to me.

Room:

This is where I start to notice the separation of the two lines. Liberty beds were hard and uncomfortable and yes I used the word “beds” because it was a common complaint that I heard all week. Princess beds are a dream. Comfortable, cozy and a joy to sleep on. The rooms are similar to RCI but the TV offering is definitely better on Princess and the TVs are larger too.

Food:

Again, an area noticeable for its difference. There simply is no comparison in food on Princess and RCI. Don’t get me wrong, the food on RCI was good but Princess? The dinners and desserts were knock your socks off good and this is not a subjective comparison its the absolute truth. Its not close folks. Princess has made a conscious decision to be more upscale and to appeal to middle aged folks like us and it is noticeable. Nowhere was the difference more stark than in Chops. We’re used to seeing exceptional service in Chops with great steaks and wonderful desserts. The night we were there, I found the service slow and the offerings disappointing. Never have I been to a steakhouse where they didn’t have mushrooms but in Chops they didn’t have them. No more mushroom soup either which many people enjoy. The desserts seemed lack lustre as well. Typically the desserts are the topper to a great meal but they simply were not good. Cost cutting gone wild? We had several meals in the MDR on Princess that were miles ahead of Chops. I likely wouldn’t go back to Chops until they clean up their act.

Verdict: Princess by a mile

Service:

This one was close but I’ll give the nod to Princess. Both of our waiters in the MDR were good – no complaints whatsoever but again, the Princess service in the MDR was noticeably better and our waiter really knew the menus and what to recommend. I think part of the reason I feel this way was the general ambience of the MDR as well. On Princess people were dressed nicely for dinner (business casual to suits and dresses) while on RCI we saw lots of shorts, flip flops and so on. Not that I have a problem with that because I don’t, but I think it just shows the separation of Princess from RCI and NCL for example. Room attendants on both ships were very good.

Theatre shows:

Both lines do a good job here and RCI seems to be a bit better but otoh, Princess had more comedians and did more shows in side lounges that were pretty good. This one is a bit unfair to compare because the Princess cruise was 7 days while Liberty was only 4 so I’ll give it a tie.

Verdict: Tie

Internet:

Internet was slow on both ships but Liberty was so slow that had I not got it free because of our diamond level, I would have asked for my money back. Also both lines block many apps which is annoying.

Drink packages:

Offerings were similarly good, we got 4 free drinks a day on RCI which is nice and I thought both ships did a decent job of varying their offerings.

Overall impression:

We had a great time on both ships and I’d go back on either today with no hesitation but it is readily apparent that Princess has decided to upscale their cruise experience and separate themselves from the pack. Really, it boils down to this: if food and service are your main concerns and you want a comfortable bed then Princess is your choice. If you want water slides, have kids and are more into a hit and run dinner with 3 star food quality, then RCI is your choice. If I had to pick one over the other, it wouldn't be a contest. Sky Princess would be my choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for your report.

It seems spot on but to be fair Royal Caribbean is generally slotted as mass market and Princess as Superior mass market so they are never intended to be fully comparable.

Celebrity vs Princess would be more apples to apples.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks for your report.

It seems spot on but to be fair Royal Caribbean is generally slotted as mass market and Princess as Superior mass market so they are never intended to be fully comparable.

I think you have a point and I agree that that is where they slot in now but my experience in the past has been that Princess and RCI were more alike than they were different other than the pool activities of course. The differences now seem more stark than they were even 3 years ago when we were on our last RCI cruise on the Adventure. Don't get me wrong, we had a great cruise on the Liberty but given this is our first post-covid cruise I couldn't help but notice that Princess took a step forward and RCI (at least in their food and cabins) took a step back. 

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

In November/December we did two great cruises, one on the Liberty of the Seas and another on the Sky Princess, I thought it would be a decent idea to compare the two to see how they match up and to see what differences there are now that cruising seems to be back 100%. These two cruises are really our first real cruise since COVID. While we did a 3 day last year, things were so different then. So this is a post-COVID, "cruising-is-back review for real" review. So here goes.

About us: We have 32 cruises under our belts and are Diamond on RCI and Platinum on Princess

Embarkation/Disembarkation:

Embarkation was equally fast and efficient on both lines and we found ourselves on both ships PDQ. In fact, we were early enough that the buffet barely had a chance to open. Disembarkation: I have to give to Princess. They had facial recognition equipment and we literally walked right through like nobody was there once we had our facial recognition complete.

Ship amenities:

This one might be a bit subjective because the lines seem to have separated themselves a bit and what appeals to me might not to others. RCI has the Royal Promenade (why more lines don’t do this is a mystery), wave runner, slides and lots of activity around the pool. On the other hand, I’m in my early 60’s DW is late 50’s and we know those things bring kids, loads of kids, and its not something we're into now. Princess has the Piazza, a wonderful pool deck with lots of places where you can peacefully lie out, the Retreat pool for adults and even an upscale area called the Sanctuary. So for me to compare the both ships might be a bit unfair but I have to do it based on what appeals to me.

Room:

This is where I start to notice the separation of the two lines. Liberty beds were hard and uncomfortable and yes I used the word “beds” because it was a common complaint that I heard all week. Princess beds are a dream. Comfortable, cozy and a joy to sleep on. The rooms are similar to RCI but the TV offering is definitely better on Princess and the TVs are larger too.

Food:

Again, an area noticeable for its difference. There simply is no comparison in food on Princess and RCI. Don’t get me wrong, the food on RCI was good but Princess? The dinners and desserts were knock your socks off good and this is not a subjective comparison its the absolute truth. Its not close folks. Princess has made a conscious decision to be more upscale and to appeal to middle aged folks like us and it is noticeable. Nowhere was the difference more stark than in Chops. We’re used to seeing exceptional service in Chops with great steaks and wonderful desserts. The night we were there, I found the service slow and the offerings disappointing. Never have I been to a steakhouse where they didn’t have mushrooms but in Chops they didn’t have them. No more mushroom soup either which many people enjoy. The desserts seemed lack lustre as well. Typically the desserts are the topper to a great meal but they simply were not good. Cost cutting gone wild? We had several meals in the MDR on Princess that were miles ahead of Chops. I likely wouldn’t go back to Chops until they clean up their act.

Verdict: Princess by a mile

Service:

This one was close but I’ll give the nod to Princess. Both of our waiters in the MDR were good – no complaints whatsoever but again, the Princess service in the MDR was noticeably better and our waiter really knew the menus and what to recommend. I think part of the reason I feel this way was the general ambience of the MDR as well. On Princess people were dressed nicely for dinner (business casual to suits and dresses) while on RCI we saw lots of shorts, flip flops and so on. Not that I have a problem with that because I don’t, but I think it just shows the separation of Princess from RCI and NCL for example. Room attendants on both ships were very good.

Theatre shows:

Both lines do a good job here and RCI seems to be a bit better but otoh, Princess had more comedians and did more shows in side lounges that were pretty good. This one is a bit unfair to compare because the Princess cruise was 7 days while Liberty was only 4 so I’ll give it a tie.

Internet:

Internet was slow on both ships but Liberty was so slow that had I not got it free because of our diamond level, I would have asked for my money back. Also both lines block many apps which is annoying.

Drink packages:

Offerings were similarly good, we got 4 free drinks a day on RCI which is nice and I thought both ships did a decent job of varying their offerings.

Overall impression:

We had a great time on both ships and I’d go back on either today with no hesitation but it is readily apparent that Princess has decided to upscale their cruise experience and separate themselves from the pack. Really, it boils down to this: if food and service are your main concerns and you want a comfortable bed then Princess is your choice. If you want water slides, have kids and are more into a hit and run dinner with 3 star food quality, then RCI is your choice. If I had to pick one over the other, it wouldn't be a contest. Sky Princess would be my choice.

As an Elite on Princess who hasn't sailed on Princess post COVID and a newbie to RCI currently on my fourth cruise which today marks day 19 total, I have to agree that Princess hands down wins on food, service and serenity.  

Though RCI does have some notable standouts. 

• The Promenade on Freedom, Liberty, and now Harmony is a great idea and a nice way to present the various outlets the populate the space. 
  • My greatest fascination is Central Park on Harmony.  It's reminiscent of sitting at a café table on a quiet side street in Manhattan, away from the typical noise and buzz of the city.   That this much greenery --including several 20 foot plus trees-- are able to grow and thrive at sea is a wonder.
  • For a price (mainly "The Key") anyone can enjoy a seamless and expedited disembarkation on RCI that includes a premium sit down breakfast. 
  • Facial Recognition I will say varies by port as to its availability.  RCI uses it at their main Terminal A in Miami, and it moves people out quickly.
  • The Princess Piazza is practically a trademark and a great concept.  But I've experienced that recently on RCI's Grandeur, and was so lucky as to have a room that was just off the atrium.  There's nothing like the sound of a string duet's notes wafting up the atrium.
  • I don't see the actual numbers, but I'd guess RCI spends quite a few more dollars on entertainment than Princess when it comes to theater performers.  During my last 15 day cruise on Princess the spending cuts were noticeable.  NCL has both lines beat here. 

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks for your report.

I would agree with this, however, we also prefer Princess and lately, we've been finding prices on Princess to be equal or even less than on RCI (especially the Oasis class ships), and the drink package (though they are increasing it on Princess) is way more affordable that what RCI offers.

Sounds fair to me. Especially with the food... it is not so good on Royal the last 8-12 months, IMO. Only thing is that I think the facial recognition at the port during disembarkation is CBP/port related. I just got off the Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale last week, and walked right through after the facial recognition as well.

3 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

As an Elite on Princess who hasn't sailed on Princess post COVID and a newbie to RCI currently on my fourth cruise which today marks day 19 total, I have to agree that Princess hands down wins on food, service and serenity. 

Nice to hear Princess improved.

We only sailed 7 times with Princess, but for a long time it was our favorite line.

We absolutely loved our second to the last cruise on Royal Princess (in some regards it exceeded preceding cruise on Celebrity Silhouette back-to-back) for New Year 2017

In 2019 after two Christmas/NY combos on older RCI Grandeur we decided to have another double cruise on RCI Explorer 5 days Christmas and then 10 days on Crown Princess for NYE. We expected Princess to be much better experience than RCI... However we got opposite. Crown was very tired.. We never sailed on such tiered ships with ANY company, Golden paint peeled in every elevator. Food was completely different than we were accustomed with Princess... especially in buffet (Royal Princess had amazing buffets, but even Caribbean or Ruby, Grand had a nice one). In restaurants food was better, but I think steak was not even present daily. There was 4 production shows in 10 days, but only one was watchable.

Medallion Internet was AMAZING quality though. Speed, price! I think it was about $140 for 4 devices for 10 days (free for us).

I am happy to read that food has improved again.

I agree about Grandeur's Centrum being somewhat similar to Princess's Piazza, although it is closer to Grand/Caribbean class. We love it!!!

Edited by Tatka

57 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Sounds fair to me. Especially with the food... it is not so good on Royal the last 8-12 months, IMO. Only thing is that I think the facial recognition at the port during disembarkation is CBP/port related. I just got off the Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale last week, and walked right through after the facial recognition as well.

Maybe it is by the ship. We honestly do not see much difference in the last 2 years vs prepandemics. We sailed on Anthem X 4, Oasis X 2, Enchantment and Adventure in the last 2 years.

18 hours ago, Tatka said:

Maybe it is by the ship. We honestly do not see much difference in the last 2 years vs prepandemics. We sailed on Anthem X 4, Oasis X 2, Enchantment and Adventure in the last 2 years.

About to sail on my 30th cruise since the restart next Friday. What I have experienced is that when the restart happened, the food was fine (just like pre pandemic) up through about December 2021. Since then I noticed quite a bit of decline in quality, and taste from that time forward. 

Of the ships you mentioned, I have only sailed Oasis since the restart, and only once back in March. When I think back to that sailing, I spent almost all dinners in the MDR, and it was fine there.  Chops, WJ, and El Loco Fresh was not good at all for us on that sailing. Oh well.. its not bad enough to stop me from going.. because I keep going. LOL.

• Like 2

We always eat in MDR (not in specialty restaurants or buffet). We are fine with offerings. We’ll see what new menus bring.

We don’t cruise for food anymore, but still like to have nice choices.

Edited by Tatka

On 12/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

my experience in the past has been that Princess and RCI were more alike than they were different

Puzzling... as I thought:

Family Budget Class:

A) RCI   

B) Carnival

Upscale Adult Class:

C) Celebrity (Owned by RCI) 

D) Princess (Owned by Carnival)

You just compared A) and D)....and said D) is better....  Well of course! 😉

But if you compared B) and C)... I guess, C) would be better???  🤷‍♂️

Would have loved the comparison of A) vs B).....  or C) vs D)... 😁

But thank you for the Review!!!  

On 12/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks for your report.

If you compare the prizes Princess and Royal are comparable and Celebrity is much higher, especially in Europe.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, buffet24 said:

Puzzling... as I thought:

Family Budget Class:

A) RCI   

B) Carnival

Upscale Adult Class:

C) Celebrity (Owned by RCI) 

D) Princess (Owned by Carnival)

You just compared A) and D)....and said D) is better....  Well of course! 😉

But if you compared B) and C)... I guess, C) would be better???  🤷‍♂️

Would have loved the comparison of A) vs B).....  or C) vs D)... 😁

But thank you for the Review!!!  

RCI is not in the same class as Carnival. Carnival is the Red Neck Riviera with Golden Corral food. RCI, used to be in the same class as Princess based on my previous cruising experience on both lines and while we can call them budget line, they certainly don't price like they're budget line. They have separated themselves from Princess in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

RCI is not in the same class as Carnival. Carnival is the Red Neck Riviera with Golden Corral food. RCI, used to be in the same class as Princess based on my previous cruising experience on both lines and while we can call them budget line, they certainly don't price like they're budget line. They have separated themselves from Princess in terms of quality.

How many times have you cruised on Carnival? I don’t think your comment accurately portrays Carnival, but I am open to reading about your experience(s) when you cruised on Carnival. 

Since you are a relatively novice cruiser, based on your comment of only cruising 32 times, you may not be fully up to date on the cruise industry. At least in the US, RCI views their main competitors as Carnival and NCL. I have heard that directly from numerous senior staff on RCI ships. On the other hand (once again at least in the US), Celebrity, which falls under the Royal Caribbean Group, considers Princess as one of its main competitors.  RCI has never, and likely will never, consider Princess as one of its main competitors. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How many times have you cruised on Carnival? I don’t think your comment accurately portrays Carnival, but I am open to reading about your experience(s) when you cruised on Carnival.

Eight. I used to enjoy Carnival back in the early 2000's actually but then discovered RCI and saw a big difference. There's no denying Carnival is near the bottom of the barrel, lets face it.

5 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Eight. I used to enjoy Carnival back in the early 2000's actually but then discovered RCI and saw a big difference. There's no denying Carnival is near the bottom of the barrel, lets face it.

Like you I used to cruise on Carnival a lot (33 cruises total) and I enjoyed every cruise. I don’t view Carnival as negatively as you do (I apologize if I am putting words in your mouth) but eventually over time I enjoyed the experience on RCI and Celebrity ships more than Carnival. However, I feel like it was more of a case that I just outgrew Carnival. I haven’t cruised on Carnival in over five years and at least for now I am only cruising on RCI and Celebrity. So far this year I have been on 12 RCI cruises and 2 Celebrity cruises. I also have 2 cruises booked on Wonder this month so for the time being I am definitely pretty loyal to RCI. I don’t anticipate cruising on Carnival again, although I wouldn’t say never because who knows what might happen in the future.