Murray's Guide

rvorcruise

In 2003 I published a guide to the South Klondike Highway, aimed at people who arrive in Skagway on a cruise ship and rent a car to drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake. People here on CruiseCritic soon named it "Murray's Guide" and I adopted that as its official name. Two years ago I announced that due to illness there would be no update that year, hoping to re-start the next year. Yesterday, triggered by a request for information about the 2023 edition, I made the difficult decision to state that there will be no more updates. Huge thanks to all the people who have made my time at CC so enjoyable over those many years.

murrays_guide-20221207b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the helpful guide to the Klondike Highway. We took a tour bus from Skagway to Carcross, but I find the guide useful in tracing our steps. It is an incredible drive.

I wish you nothing but the best.

• Like 2

@rvorcruiseThanks so much for your informative Murray’s Guide.  It’s been a few years since we drove up the road from Skagway using your guide.  How did you know that a bear would be munching on dandelions along the road at the exact spot you pointed out?  What a treat that was.  I have followed your web site since that day and found a lot of very informative articles about the Yukon and Alaska.  Best wishes to you and thanks sharing your adventures and your research!

Murray - this guide has gone on several trips with me to Alaska. It has been "the Bible" for the area! You have helped thousands explore your beautiful area. So glad we had the opportunity to meet way back when.

I wish you good health in 2023!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Murray for a very memorable trip 14 years ago. On our 25th wedding anniversary, while on the cruise, we rented a small truck for our journey with your guide.  We indeed spotted a bear on the side of the road, and my husband decided to take the logging road( maybe the way to your house) up to see if we could spot any more bears. All along the road, we saw the warning signs for Bears, and I started to get nervous, so after the hairy eyeball, my husband decided to turn around. He had to make a 3 point turn and ended up in a rut and we could not get out.!!!! After a few words were exchanged, we had to walk down to the town( and avoiding any bears)  and ended up at the Royal Canadian Mountain Police station.   A very nice officer took us to his house, were he got out a shovel and come-along and off we went to get the truck out of the ditch.  I asked him if this happens all the time and he politely said NO!  We made it back to Skagway and even had time for a beer at the Saloon. We have told this story many times over the years and in the planning stages of 40th cruise back to Alaska! 

Thanks for all you have done  and may 2023 be a great year for you and yours. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

As a paying member of the Murray Guide Club, I'd like to thank you for your service.  I know that you did this out of love, and not to get rich.  And so many of us have benefitted.   I used your guide in the 2010's multiple times and had many amazing experiences.  And now I shall use it one more time to introduce a new cruiser to the wonders of the Yukon.  
I wish you the best and thank you for your amazing guide!

I have used your great guide for many years.  I visited you and your wonderful dogs about 15 years ago at your cabin.  I wish you all the best and thanks for the great memories I have of driving the Klondike Highway with your guide!

Regular user of Murray's Guide.  Very valuable resource for anyone wanting to explore outside of Skagway.

I am grateful to people like yourself who do the research and writing to produce a guide like your's and to offer it to the public for next to nothing.  I wish you good health in 2023.

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties.  I want to thank you for the guide.  We used it in 2017 and drove up to Whitehorse for the day.  We had a wonderful time and enjoyed several stop.  The guide with information from a "local" was so handy to have.  Thank you.

Denise

Murray...........thinking of you and really appreciate your guide and all the wonderful photos you have posted on your website over the  years.  I know you're doing what you can and especially enjoying all your animals.

Please take care of yourself.  We love  you Murray.

• 10 months later...

So sorry to read this. I only happened upon this after finding his website down and trying to search for answers. Does anyone have a copy of his driving directions they can send me? We go in July. I wish I had printed this when I first found his website! 

36 minutes ago, MissMet said:

So sorry to read this. I only happened upon this after finding his website down and trying to search for answers. Does anyone have a copy of his driving directions they can send me? We go in July. I wish I had printed this when I first found his website! 

Forgot to include your quote as I think then you'd get a direct notification - check the thread; I attached the Murray Guide for you.

2 minutes ago, KruisinKath said:

Forgot to include your quote as I think then you'd get a direct notification - check the thread; I attached the Murray Guide for you.

Thank you!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Iafarmer said:

Thank you, I too, appreciate this wonderful resource!

You’re very welcome! We used it in 2013, and may do the drive again in 2025. Of course I didn’t keep the guide then; good thing I downloaded before they shut down the site!

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 4:57 PM, KruisinKath said:

You’re very welcome! We used it in 2013, and may do the drive again in 2025. Of course I didn’t keep the guide then; good thing I downloaded before they shut down the site!

Thank you for the link to the pdf

Edited by byrdbrain55
  • Like 1