I hope to sail QM2 in 2024 or 2025

I Luv Crusin

With the schedules out for the Queen Mary II in 2024 and all the comments I've read about how she needs a facelift, was a drydock scheduled?  And if so, what will be done?

I wanted to do a TA from Southampton to NYC but now think we may do the British Isles cruise.  I just hope we can get a taste of what a TA would be.

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

With the schedules out for the Queen Mary II in 2024 and all the comments I've read about how she needs a facelift, was a drydock scheduled?  And if so, what will be done?

I wanted to do a TA from Southampton to NYC but now think we may do the British Isles cruise.  I just hope we can get a taste of what a TA would be.

Thanks!

Seen on the Dress Code - Theme Calendar 2023 that CC Member Bluemarble is posting for the QM2 it shows October 22 2023 to November 15 2023 Refit.

He must have some insight of activity taking place to the QM2...

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Seen on the Dress Code - Theme Calendar 2023 that CC Member Bluemarble is posting for the QM2 it shows October 22 2023 to November 15 2023 Refit.

He must have some insight of activity taking place to the QM2...

Thank you!  Since I've been wanting to go on a TA forever, do you think I'd be happy to experience the British Isle on QM2 instead?  

No special insight on my part other than the assumption QM2 has a drydock/refit scheduled for October 22-November 15, 2023 because of that gap in her published 2023 schedule. I'm also figuring it's likely the work will be done at Blohm+Voss in Hamburg since QM2's schedule has her arriving in Hamburg in October 22. She is scheduled to resume service from Southampton on November 16.

I do not know what is being planned for the refit, but that 25-day gap offers some promise it might include more than just the minimum routine inspections and maintenance activities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Thank you!  Since I've been wanting to go on a TA forever, do you think I'd be happy to experience the British Isle on QM2 instead?  

I have little doubt you will be happy on any QM2 voyage. But a transatlantic crossing is the quintessential QM2 experience in my view. The British Isles cruise does offer 12 nights instead of only 7 nights for a crossing so that's an advantage (unless you do a 14-night roundtrip crossing). There is one 14-night QM2 roundtrip crossing out of New York on the 2024 schedule.

Edited by bluemarble

34 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

No special insight on my part other than the assumption QM2 has a drydock/refit scheduled for October 22-November 15, 2023 because of that gap in her published 2023 schedule. I'm also figuring it's likely the work will be done at Blohm+Voss in Hamburg since QM2's schedule has her arriving in Hamburg in October 22. She is scheduled to resume service from Southampton on November 16.

I do not know what is being planned for the refit, but that 25-day gap offers some promise it might include more than just the minimum routine inspections and maintenance activities.

Time for a dry dock / refit speculation thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Thanks!

Back in 2017 Mrs Bear and I considered a transatlantic sailing, but after pricing out airfare and a minimal UK hotel stay before meeting the ship in Southampton we decided on a round trip from NY.

This year marks our third transatlantic round trip, with the fourth booked for October 2024.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

Time for a dry dock / refit speculation thread?

I still am trying to figure out what many are talking about the Mary 2 needs refit?

Being on in September she looked pretty good to us. Granted the last time we were on was the year after the last refit. 

Even our house is always being worked on to look good. We had crew working during the 14 days sailing in a lot of the areas of the ship. Yes we had rust on our balcony pipes but not to much. But you have to understand constantly running in salt water and sailing does affect her in many ways.

Even New York's Verranzo Narrow Bridge is constantly being painted. They start to paint it and at the end they start it all over again. Many pass under her after embarking and arriving back into NYC. But take a ride across her and QM2 looks like a Gem compared to her. We see it all the time.

Yes we see the carpet on board but look what it goes thru on embarkation day, daily cleaning carts and night before departure. Carts pulled back and forth and walls being banged. To name a few problems.

I think she looks pretty good IMHO......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Thanks!

Was on QM2 in October. This "facelift" stuff was mostly nonsense in my opinion; sure she is possibly due, but she looked mighty fine to me. The staterooms were revamped in 2016 (?) so they wouldn't be changed - I like the look of them compared with what they looked like before (from Youtube videos). The bathrooms are a little old, but fine.

There's some rust, and there are chairs in the Planetarium area of Illuminations that are broken (the recline mechanism), but other than that?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Was on QM2 in October. This "facelift" stuff was mostly nonsense in my opinion; sure she is possibly due, but she looked mighty fine to me. The staterooms were revamped in 2016 (?) so they wouldn't be changed - I like the look of them compared with what they looked like before (from Youtube videos). The bathrooms are a little old, but fine.

There's some rust, and there are chairs in the Planetarium area of Illuminations that are broken (the recline mechanism), but other than that?

I too, when aboard in August, couldn’t see what people were moaning about. Certainly parts of the outside looked weathered and rusty, but, while I was aboard, there were a lot of people out working on different areas. We were on a Med. cruise which offered lots of opportunities for this sort of care. Normally,  however, she is crossing the Atlantic, which means lots of rusting, etc, but far fewer opportunities to work on it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I too, when aboard in August, couldn’t see what people were moaning about. Certainly parts of the outside looked weathered and rusty, but, while I was aboard, there were a lot of people out working on different areas. We were on a Med. cruise which offered lots of opportunities for this sort of care. Normally,  however, she is crossing the Atlantic, which means lots of rusting, etc, but far fewer opportunities to work on it.

They were out painting on the last two days of our late October crossing.

OK, the rearmost port side window in Queens Room was badly rusted at the bottom, and had been leaking, but that's all I really noticed in the "run down" category that some seem to be a bit obsessed by. That and the planetarium seats. Oh, and a few lifts weren't working, but never had to wait more than a few seconds.

Having said that, looking forward to a brand new ship in summer 2024, to see what the most modern take on Cunard style luxury is... assuming no major teething problems

There are a few more deck 2 windows that need attention - likely including welding not just gasket work.

The spa 'thermal suite' needs some work as well, basically unchanged since commissioning except for wear [slow drains, missing tiles, rust]. I recall that the spa was originally targeted for a makeover in a  dry dock /availability period [2020?] the COVID lockdown forced rescheduling. 

10 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Having said that, looking forward to a brand new ship in summer 2024, to see what the most modern take on Cunard style luxury is... assuming no major teething problems

But that new ship is a cruise ship, not an ocean liner, correct?

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

As of October, they hadn’t finalised the schedule of works and we’re still taking wish lists from the various departments.  You’re right that it’s likely to be more than just a bit of painting and repairs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I haven't heard about craters under the carpets in the central corridor since the last refit. Did they manage to figure our the secret to keeping the substructure intact?

It’s strange that there’s a ramp part way down the central corridor- it’s like they didn’t manage to line the two parts up correctly 

5 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

It’s strange that there’s a ramp part way down the central corridor- it’s like they didn’t manage to line the two parts up correctly 

There's a few of those in the stateroom corridors as well, near the watertight doors (and presumably where the ship pieces together) - I've always chalked it up to the finest in French naval engineering and construction. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Yep. There’s only one liner in the world. Doesn’t mean QA won’t be an experience. Can still be luxurious. 

Yes.....One and Only Liner..... One of a Kind....

Not really interested in QA Deck Plan.

Can't wait for reviews.

A lot of criticism is always being written about this beautiful liner.Yes she’s an elderly lady, who never takes a rest.I am glad she is going to take a break and maybe get a face lift. If I would like to see any changes please please the shower curtain's must go.Otherwise I love every thing about her. Counting the days to our cruise on her next Christmas. 😎.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2022 at 12:36 AM, I Luv Crusin said:

Well it certainly wouldn't make me happy!

If I want to visit the British Isles, I'll jump on any of several flights per day and choose where I want to go. Although right now I can't think of anywhere that I'd rather be than here at home.

A TA is a TA, there is no substitute other than a round trip. It's what the ship was designed for. We'll repeat it around June 2025 in BC. By that time I might have convinced myself that I can manage to tear myself away from here for 15 nights.

Well, I am one cruiser who would jump on the British Isles cruise over a transatlantic any day.  I love cruising because of the many fantastic port calls--it is a combination of both relaxing and discovering. 

The most lovely and regal ships are the Cunard liners, and certainly being on the ship is a grand celebration of tradition, formality, and pampering.  We enjoy the European-style atmosphere, and we like all the lectures and learning opportunities.

But, we have done transatlantic, and let me just say, it is just the tiniest bit boring for DH and me.  Of course not having jet lag on arrival is great, but we are probably just a bit too active to truly appreciate the calm repetition of each sea day.  Perhaps in another decade or two we will be more content to cruise without shore excursions, but right now we look forward to using the ship also as a moving hotel, and not just a destination unto itself.

Although I enjoy cruising, I wouldn't describe myself as a cruiser.

Most of our boring days on QM2 followed this schedule: 06:00 to Midnight: Sunrise/ship/seascape photos, online banking, newspapers, social media. Walk down 10 floors to breakfast. Walk up 10 floors to cabin. Walk down 5 floors to gym. 40 mins cardio & 30 mins muscular. Walk up 5 floors to cabin, shower/wash gym wear. Walk down 9 floors to coffee. Walk up 9 floors to cabin. Walk down 10 floors to lunch. Photo opportunities. Walk up 10 floors to cabin. Short power-nap. Walk down 9 floors to coffee. Walk up 9 floors to cabin. Dress for evening. Walk down 9 floors. Photo opportunities & aperitifs. Walk down 1 floor to dinner. Walk up 1 floor to dancing Queens Room then dancing G32, digestifs. Walk up 9 floors to cabin.

I find it hard to describe that as calm repetition. I was glad to get home for a rest!

• Like 1