Purchasing OBC for family member's cabin... vs Gift Cards

Toddcan

Taking the family on a cruise, and have 4 cabins booked.  I want to add some OBC to each of their accounts to use on the cruise.  All reservations are refundable (just in case!), and were made directly with Royal through the phone.  I chatted with a RCI rep about getting some OBC on their accounts they said I need to buy gift certificates and then redeem them after the final payment date and before 10 days of the sailing date.  

But, there are conditions  - no refundable, etc.  So I am wondering if there is another way to do this? After the final payment date, can I call Royal and buy OBC at that point? Can I do this perhaps as soon as I board?   I remember buying OBC in the past because of a very favourable exchangee rat (I am Canadian), so we used to be able to buy it.

And if I do buy gift certificates, can I buy them in my own name, but redeem then against a different reservation(our family's cabins)?   

Suggestions?

1 minute ago, Toddcan said:

After the final payment date, can I call Royal and buy OBC at that point?

Don't buy gift certificates - you can buy OBC directly at any time but remember that the exchange rate RCI uses is not directly tied to the official rate (it varies at its own pace).

Hi, Another Canadian here. I have done this several times. I just exchange my money to USD in Canada and on boarding go to guest services and ask to put the cash into cabin number####. They give you a receipt. I find this the easiest, most straightforward way but I do check with the “giftees” that they have the credit showing on their accounts— so far haven’t had any issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Don't buy gift certificates - you can buy OBC directly at any time but remember that the exchange rate RCI uses is not directly tied to the official rate (it varies at its own pace).

Interesting... I can buy OBC for other cabins at any time?  Not a shocker if this is true, but the phone agent said I cannot. 

50 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I can buy OBC for other cabins at any time?  Not a shocker if this is true, but the phone agent said I cannot. 

You just need the booking info for the other cabins - CSRs get a lot of things wrong.

From what I have learned, you cannot buy OBC. I am asking for money for my vacation for Christmas but there is no option to purchase OBC as a gift. 

Gift certificates won't work because Christmas is the day before we leave so getting that as a gift is not an option and if it's non refundable that is too big of a risk to lose. 

I've asked for cash. 

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You just need the booking info for the other cabins - CSRs get a lot of things wrong.

Well, of course.. I have the res#'s for the other cabins.

I just called again  - was told I cannot purchase OBC for other cabins - suggested gift cards again.   0-2.   I'll try and call again, but if I'm 0-3, I'm suspecting a policy change.  Again, I USED to be able to do this, but not now(according to 2 CSRs so far).  Hence the purpose of this post - looking for real time hand-on experience from anyone else who has tried.  

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

I just called again  - was told I cannot purchase OBC for other cabins - suggested gift cards again.   0-2.   I'll try and call again, but if I'm 0-3, I'm suspecting a policy change.  Again, I USED to be able to do this, but not now(according to 2 CSRs so far).  Hence the purpose of this post - looking for real time hand-on experience from anyone else who has tried.  

I bought obc for a couple of clients last week so it is definitely possible. 

3 hours ago, Toddcan said:

You need to call Royal Gifts - 800-722-5443

No issue buying $1000 OBC on 8/13/22 for 9/4/22 sailing.

Edited by Another_Critic

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

What do they need OBC for?

Pssst, it's Christmas time, you know, the time of the year when most of us give things to other people whether they need it or not.  I'm sure you have lots of lumps of coal from Santa still around that you really didn't need😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Pssst, it's Christmas time, you know, the time of the year when most of us give things to other people whether they need it or not.  I'm sure you have lots of lumps of coal from Santa still around that you really didn't need😉

Sure it is nice.

But most needed things are purchased pre trip.

I have received cruise credit many times from TA

But sometimes struggle to use it.

There really is nothing I want to buy on the ship.

Overpriced merchandise..

19 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Call 800-722-5443  I believe OBC is listed as gift #651 or it used to be  

On 12/10/2022 at 6:09 AM, matj2000 said:

What do they need OBC for?

On 12/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, matj2000 said:

Sure it is nice.

But most needed things are purchased pre trip.

I have received cruise credit many times from TA

But sometimes struggle to use it.

There really is nothing I want to buy on the ship.

Overpriced merchandise..

Imagine for a moment that there are people out there who do not cruise very much.  Now.. imagine that those same people have been gifted a cruise by their family. Now, take that even further... it's Christmas time, and the nice family member who purchased these cruises for their family wants to gift a little extra money so they can spend onboard.

For what?  hmm, not sure, but perhaps T-shirts for their kids, who've not been on a cruise at all. Maybe they want to take that overpriced cupcake class.  Maybe a drink here and there.  Maybe room service late at night for cookies and hot chocolate.  Maybe a cruise-ship model for their fireplace mantle.  Perhaps they are tickled pink about the idea of have a milkshake at sea while watching the ocean go by.   Who's to say?   

Edited by Toddcan
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone!  I'll try and call gifts and gears again.  All of my attempts have been through the "new cruise" option on the phone (MUCH shorter wait).  I'll endure the 30 min wait for the proper sales rep 🙂 . I appreciate the help

2 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Thanks everyone!  I'll try and call gifts and gears again.  All of my attempts have been through the "new cruise" option on the phone (MUCH shorter wait).  I'll endure the 30 min wait for the proper sales rep 🙂 . I appreciate the help

I'm sure (if all else fails) that you can add some OBC to those cabins once onboard.

Since it sounds like you want to do this as a Christmas gift, you could always print your own gift card saying something like "Merry Christmas you have been gifted $100 to spend on board our family cruise which will be added to your cabin once we are onboard"