I have a love-hate relationship with water shoes.

Mum2Mercury

Well, the love-hate thing's not really true:  my own water shoes are fine.  I have a good pair of Lands End "Mary Janes" with mesh uppers & plastic soles -- they flatten in a suitcase.  Even if I only wear them on one shore excursion, they're a worthwhile use of space.  My husband's water sandals, on the other hand, are huge and clunky with a thick sole -- he thinks they look like something our 1-year old grandson would wear.  They do not flatten, and they are serious space hogs.  But he wants his feet protected on the beach or a water-based shore excursion -- and I agree; a cut foot could make the rest of a vacation miserable.  Worst of all, he doesn't really like wearing them -- he sees them as a necessary evil.  

At Coco Cay earlier this week, he saw people wearing what I'd call "Water Socks", and he expressed a desire to own a pair.  I'm attaching a picture of what I"m thinking I want.  Questions: 

- Some of these seem to cover the ankle, while others are more like a tennis shoe.  Which is more desirable? 

- They all have a plastic, protective sole on the bottom, right? 

- What features /details do I want? 

- Any name brands I should choose /avoid?

Thanks in advance!  We've never owned this type of shoe before, and I do want to choose wisely.

Water socks.jpg

Edited by Mum2Mercury

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I wear Keens water sandals with a covered toe & very good grip on the soles. After our last cave excursion I think everyone else on that excursion will buy them too. The caves were quite slippery & we were the only ones that didn’t fall or slip (some folks had some nasty cuts)

• 3 weeks later...

I have these, as well, and really like them.  They really are quick dry, and comfortable.  Hard to find size 5.5 in any shoe, and particularly in water shoes, so that was also a plus with these.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 9:46 PM, Moon Orchid said:

I got this water shoe from Amazon, it is very light and comfy. My husband bought the one in black and he love it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8PP16T?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

Did you use the water shoe on land hiking?  We have a 45 minute hike to waterfalls in Amber Cove and I don't want my shoe to fall apart like it did hiking to the River caves in Belize (another 45 minute hike) thanks for your input!

39 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Did you use the water shoe on land hiking?  We have a 45 minute hike to waterfalls in Amber Cove and I don't want my shoe to fall apart like it did hiking to the River caves in Belize (another 45 minute hike) thanks for your input!

Sorry, I haven't wear them yet, we bought them for the Maui trip this coming May. I planned to bring an extra pair of shoe for just in case 😊

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

Sorry, I haven't wear them yet, we bought them for the Maui trip this coming May. I planned to bring an extra pair of shoe for just in case 😊

I don't need these for over a year so if you can, please report back here after your Maui trip 🙂 TIA!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I’d suggest a sturdier shoe like a Keen River sandal. My favorite is the whisper light. Mine have hiked Dunns Falls, Maui, all over Oahu, many national parks & still look & feel great. Initially expensive, but when you consider how long they last, they’re cheap

Edited by awhfy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to those of you who have shared your water-shoe experiences!  I've ordered a simple, crushable shoe for my husband -- as he likes his foot to be fully covered, he doesn't go for the water sandals, and (since they get so little use) I wanted something that won't hog suitcase space like water sandals.  

I think he's going to like what I ordered for him, but -- being winter -- we haven't had the opportunity to try them just yet.  

Again, thanks for all who helped!  

• Like 1