Will the Solstice be getting any love in 2023?

DebInAntigua

The Solstice revolution got delayed by the pandemic and I’m seeing lots of comments from recent passengers that she’s looking quite dated and that beds are old and not as comfortable as renovated ships. Has anyone heard if the Solstice will go into dry dock next year? 

I know the cruise lines are very much in recovery mode but how long can they put it off while raising prices for a modern luxury experience the Solstice can’t deliver?

Edited by DebInAntigua
Typo

On her right now and she is in great shape.  The color scheme is more traditional but all furnishings are in good condition.  

if they had some extra cash laying around a change of the colors would be ideal but that is a huge expense.  The ship is sailing at the 55-60 capacity not generating a lot of spare cash.

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

The Solstice revolution got delayed by the pandemic and I’m seeing lots of comments from recent passengers that she’s looking quite dated and that beds are old and not as comfortable as renovated ships. .......

We did a B2B on Solstice in June followed by another B2B in September.  While I think the color scheme is dated you certainly did not read any comment from me that the beds are old and not as comfortable as on renovated ships.  Your specific source for the "lots of comments" is what?  

We were in the same SS1 for both legs of the June cruises, and in a CS followed by a SS1 for the second pair of cruises.  'While there was more wear on the curtains on the SS1 on the September 2022 B2B cruise it wasn't an issue, at least for me.  Possibly for you?

• Like 1

I was on Solstice back in September and while the color scheme/furnishings are starting to seem outdated, the ship itself is in great condition.  I can confirm that the beds have been swapped out for new ones; we watched about 400 old mattresses get offloaded in Seattle.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, postnobills said:

I was on Solstice back in September and while the color scheme/furnishings are starting to seem outdated, the ship itself is in great condition.  I can confirm that the beds have been swapped out for new ones; we watched about 400 old mattresses get offloaded in Seattle.

That's great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

22 hours ago, jelayne said:

On her right now and she is in great shape.  The color scheme is more traditional but all furnishings are in good condition.  

if they had some extra cash laying around a change of the colors would be ideal but that is a huge expense.  The ship is sailing at the 55-60 capacity not generating a lot of spare cash.

DH & I like the traditional color scheme.  Seems more elegant, 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, MarKay525 said:

Source?

We're sailing in early May and there are no gaps in sailings showing on Celebrity website in May.

We are sailing in September and I asked my travel agent if the retreat updates would be done by then. She called Celebrity and they told her that the ship would be revolutionized in May 2023.

On 12/10/2022 at 7:35 PM, zanyw said:

Do we know if Solstice will be getting the starlink internet upgrade anytime soon? Last I saw that it was scheduled for January 2 or 3, 2023.

It was activated a couple weeks ago.   Initially just for the Crew to try out and now all passengers are using it.   

I was on last cruise and the one that just departed.  It's better than the old internet but still slow.    I've tested multiple times and getting approx 5 Meg Down and 3 Up.

It can be a bit spotty at time and loose all connectivity for periods up to a couple minutes.

We are currently at 1,456 passengers and were at 1,660 passengers last cruise.  Will be interesting to hear about the next two cruises -  Christmas 3,100 Expected with 500 kids and the following at or near ships maximum capacity.   

Both of the next cruises will be the maximum she has had since re-joining the fleet.

Currently on Solstice for a B2B.    She is incredibly well maintained.   Yes the furniture is dated in looks but the Carpets were replace,  furniture reupolstered and even saw them re-varnishing the chairs at the martini bar.  In my opinion I looked deep and couldn't see anything that would disturb me.

While the furniture looks vintage it is comfortable.   I prefer furniture that is functional and comfortable in lieu of Kelly's Modern looking furniture that is not very functional or comfortable.    Just a small example.   Your bureau chair fits under the desk.

Bedding -  I've been in both a Sky Suite and now a Royal Suite.    Both beds are very comfortable and I believe new.    I know the Royal is newish as it is a square shaped REAL King Size and is VERY comfortable.

• Like 2

With RCG’s HUGE debt that they’re currently carrying, I don’t see any X ships being revolutionized within the next few years. Right now there are a couple of older Voyager class ships in the RCI fleet getting some much needed love next year. I also think that the two remaining Millie class ships would jump to the front of the X line if they do. 

We just left the Solstice yesterday and based upon a few comments here on CC and FB I was expecting to board a ship in very bad shape. It was far from it. She has been very well maintained. Yes, if you look hard you can find little things here and there that could be considered needing attention but she’s in better shape than some newer ships that we have cruised.

We cruised in a CS and the bed was extremely comfortable as was the entire room. Service was outstanding.  It’s nice to have a ship with the older balcony furniture and not the dreaded KH uncomfortable IKEA ‘stuff”. If anyone has a cruise coming up on this ship, you have nothing to worry about IMHO. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CNPGOLF said:

We are sailing in September and I asked my travel agent if the retreat updates would be done by then. She called Celebrity and they told her that the ship would be revolutionized in May 2023.

We were told the same thing about being updated in May.  We are sailing on her in October. It appears Celebrity added 3 Alaska cruises in May so maybe the updating has been postponed. 

56 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Currently on Solstice for a B2B.    She is incredibly well maintained.   Yes the furniture is dated in looks but the Carpets were replace,  furniture reupolstered and even saw them re-varnishing the chairs at the martini bar.  In my opinion I looked deep and couldn't see anything that would disturb me.

While the furniture looks vintage it is comfortable.   I prefer furniture that is functional and comfortable in lieu of Kelly's Modern looking furniture that is not very functional or comfortable.    Just a small example.   Your bureau chair fits under the desk.

Bedding -  I've been in both a Sky Suite and now a Royal Suite.    Both beds are very comfortable and I believe new.    I know the Royal is newish as it is a square shaped REAL King Size and is VERY comfortable.

Could you ask CC - if Celebrity plans on adding the Retreat Sun Deck any time this year. A couple of us on this board were told it would be added in May. We are sailing on Solstice in October and other guests are sailing on her in September. Looks like Solstice has a full schedule in May.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Interesting video!  Celebrity has "revolutionized" several of their S class ships to be more like the E class.  I think if they really are trying to cover their bases as it relates to appealing to a variety of age demographics, they need to leave the S class ships alone.  It's one thing to refurbish the decor and another thing entirely to take a ship and morph it into something else (ship within a ship concept).  If they continue to revolutionize the remaining S class ships to be more like the E class, then in my view they really aren't playing to multiple age demographics at all.  I guess I'm a traditionalist.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, zitsky said:

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree with you re the furniture.  DH and I prefer the PH furniture on Constellation (VERY comfortable; non-revolutionized) versus that in the PH on Summit (not very comfortable; revolutionized).  We miss the Baby Grand too 😞

10 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

With RCG’s HUGE debt that they’re currently carrying, I don’t see any X ships being revolutionized within the next few years. Right now there are a couple of older Voyager class ships in the RCI fleet getting some much needed love next year. I also think that the two remaining Millie class ships would jump to the front of the X line if they do. 

We just left the Solstice yesterday and based upon a few comments here on CC and FB I was expecting to board a ship in very bad shape. It was far from it. She has been very well maintained. Yes, if you look hard you can find little things here and there that could be considered needing attention but she’s in better shape than some newer ships that we have cruised.

We cruised in a CS and the bed was extremely comfortable as was the entire room. Service was outstanding.  It’s nice to have a ship with the older balcony furniture and not the dreaded KH uncomfortable IKEA ‘stuff”. If anyone has a cruise coming up on this ship, you have nothing to worry about IMHO. 

I completely agree ........and your remark re "IKEA Stuff" was right on!!