Arcade question

PG13

I’m taking my grandsons 8 & 10 on our RC cruise on Odyssey in Jan and they’ll want to use the arcade. How much do the games cost? How do they pay for them? Royal is offering me a discount for buying money for arcade, and I’d like to purchase some for them, but how do they track this? Everything is usually on your card and I can’t give them my card. Are they coins of some kind. Thank you, Pat

Edited by PG13

Each of your grandsons will be issued their own SeaPass card. This card is used in the arcade, you swipe it in the machine to play a game. 

The arcade money comes out of your onboard spending account. You can have guest services place an arcade spending limit on their SeaPass cards (or ban its use in the arcade entirely).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Each of your grandsons will be issued their own SeaPass card. This card is used in the arcade, you swipe it in the machine to play a game. 

The arcade money comes out of your onboard spending account. You can have guest services place an arcade spending limit on their SeaPass cards (or ban its use in the arcade entirely).

Just keep an eye on the charges! There have been reports on here that the arcade spending limits don't work in the arcade.

For several months, there has been a youth C&A deal where if $50 is spent in the arcade, there will be a $25 credit added to the account on the last morning. It has been on the papers found in the room not offered ahead of time. I cancelled my cruise planner purchase before our last cruise and decided to go that route, but my teens ended up not even using the arcade so it was a moot point, except that I was happy I hadn't kept the planner purchase.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jbrinkm said:

Just keep an eye on the charges! There have been reports on here that the arcade spending limits don't work in the arcade.

Yes, letting the kids into the arcade is something of a risk -- the spending limits may or may not stick, and excited kids can so easily leave a card behind.  

Do they have hand-held video games?  Perhaps having them bring those along /getting them each a new game for travel /the trip?  

For our upcoming Symphony cruise, I was able to purchase arcade credits (for DH) for 20% off on the cruise personalizer.  They had them in $25, $50 and $100 credits.  I'll try to remember to come back and let you know how that worked out. 

We’re traveling with 6 kids.  We purchased the discounted $25 arcade credits for each and that is their firm limit, as we aren’t cruising to spend time in the arcade.  They won’t be in the arcade without supervision, so I’m not too worried about them overspending.

Games on Harmony ran from $2-2.50.  Do yourselves a favor and play at least one game of Fruit Ninja if they have the machine.  You will, baring hitting the all the bombs each time they appear, earn 200 hundred tickets, which is good for redeeming 4 of the lower end prizes (which are 50 tickets apiece).   My toddler gal earned 200 tickets each time she played.  It may have been a bug in the game. 

The air hockey games are also good for killing off 5 minutes or so at a time.  Otherwise, the games are ridiculously cost-ineffective from an ROI standpoint.

I bought my kids arcade credit in the cruise planner for the discounted rate. Guest services was very helpful in setting up a spending limit. He explained that the normal limit they use is a daily limit. So he unlinked the kids seapass accounts and converted them to a cash account with no spending privileges. So when the credits were gone, the card stopped working. And this worked as advertised. 
That being said, I do not recommend spending a dime in Royal’s arcades. At least not on Adventure of the Seas. Others ships may have better arcades, maybe. Half the machines were marked out of service and several others didn’t work but the card reader sure worked. It was a waste of money even by kids standards. I just wanted to spoil the kids a little bit, but they left with mostly disappointment after blowing through $100 in credits. Expensive lesson that I don’t need to repeat.