Cape Liberty Cruises

Shona_winelover

I am considering a 2024 RC cruise on Symphony of The Seas from Cape Liberty.  We are UK based and have only ever visited Florida in the US before so this would be a big change for us.  We are over the Disney trips now and want to try something different. 

Questions I have to help me before booking are:

1. What would be the best way to get from JFK to the cruise port, 2 adults, 2 children with luggage?
  2. We would stay in New York for a few days afterwards and would like some recommendations for the best things to see and do with an 18 and 13 year old

Many thanks 

6 hours ago, Shona_winelover said:

What would be the best way to get from JFK to the cruise port, 2 adults, 2 children with luggage?

An Uber or a car service like Dial7 or Carmel. NYC taxis are not required to take you to New Jersey (where the cruise port is). Alternatively look at flights into Newark Liberty International (EWR) as it is much closer to the cruise port and you don't have to traverse NYC to get there. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shona_winelover said:

I am considering a 2024 RC cruise on Symphony of The Seas from Cape Liberty. 

Newark Liberty International airport (EWR) is the closest airport to Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ. If you fly into EWR pre cruise for an overnight prior to departure, look at airport area hotels in Elizabeth NJ on International Dr which have more dining options than Newark airport area hotels. All hotel shuttles meet guests at Airtrain station P4. Airtrain is the monorail servicing EWR.

If you fly into JFK, Carmel Limo & Dial 7 (as already posted) are recommended car services.

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island can both be visited from New Jersey, in Liberty State Park Jersey City, or from lower Manhattan. Ellis Island details the story of immigrants arriving in the US, can spend hours here if your kids like history. Statue City Cruises is the only authorized ticket seller. Liberty State Park also has Liberty Science Center.

If your kids like sports, the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford NJ is home to the Giants & Jets of the NFL. The NJ Devils play in Newark. Both locations are close to Bayonne. The NBA Knicks (Madison Square Garden) & Nets (Barclays Center) both play in NY as do the Yankees & Mets of MLB.

Arranging car service from Cape Liberty to Manhattan post cruise is the easiest transport. There is a public transportation option but it would involve a taxi ride from the cruise port & 2 different trains into NYC, with transportation then needed to your hotel.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Newark Liberty International airport (EWR) is the closest airport to Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ. If you fly into EWR pre cruise for an overnight prior to departure, look at airport area hotels in Elizabeth NJ on International Dr which have more dining options than Newark airport area hotels. All hotel shuttles meet guests at Airtrain station P4. Airtrain is the monorail servicing EWR.

If you fly into JFK, Carmel Limo & Dial 7 (as already posted) are recommended car services.

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island can both be visited from New Jersey, in Liberty State Park Jersey City, or from lower Manhattan. Ellis Island details the story of immigrants arriving in the US, can spend hours here if your kids like history. Statue City Cruises is the only authorized ticket seller. Liberty State Park also has Liberty Science Center.

If your kids like sports, the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford NJ is home to the Giants & Jets of the NFL. The NJ Devils play in Newark. Both locations are close to Bayonne. The NBA Knicks (Madison Square Garden) & Nets (Barclays Center) both play in NY as do the Yankees & Mets of MLB.

Arranging car service from Cape Liberty to Manhattan post cruise is the easiest transport. There is a public transportation option but it would involve a taxi ride from the cruise port & 2 different trains into NYC, with transportation then needed to your hotel.

This is a great help thank you. 

When comparing airports and costs add on the transportation from NYC vs. Newark. We live close, my teens love the highline park and getting a bite to eat at Chelsea market. Central Park is also a beautiful place. 9/11 memorial and one world observatory are with seeing. You need to but SOL tickets in advance, pedestal tickets are worth the extra $, my kids enjoyed going to the crown. Lines are shorter leaving from NJ. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, meadowlander said:

This is very helpful but I'm overwhelmed.  Never been to NYC, scared as all get out.  So I did see that going to Newark airport is best.  So I can google hotels in Elizabeth NJ and they will have a shuttle from airport to the hotel?  

Then how do we get from the hotel in Elizabeth to the cruise port?  After the cruise I think I am going to pay for the Royal Caribbean shuttle to the airport.  But the hotel to cruise port has me nervous.  

2 hours ago, Rollersk8mom said:

So I can google hotels in Elizabeth NJ and they will have a shuttle from airport to the hotel?  

You want the specific hotels on International Drive in Elizabeth NJ. Those hotels are walking distance to restaurants & Jersey Garden mall which also has dining options.

Courtyard, Hampton & Residence have locations on International Dr, maybe other hotels too. EWR shuttle service is from P4 station of the monorail (AIrtrain). Check with the hotels if free, should be. In the past fee shuttle service to Cape Liberty was offered, things changed with covid. I believe they have all resumed shuttle service to the cruise port, check first.

If you are not comfortable using Uber or Lyft, I am sure the hotel will arrange taxi service if they do not offer paid shuttle service. You could shuttle back to EWR on cruise day and use Royal's shuttle to Cape Liberty. Depending on how many in your group, Dial 7 & Carmel Limo is another option.

Disembarking, there will be taxi/shared shuttle service (lot 10) from Cape Liberty to EWR. It was not well organized when I used that service December 2021, though it was prior to that.

Ride service pick up location is to the right of the terminal upon exiting, there are hanging numbers to facilitate exact location if you use Uber/Lyft.

Edited by meadowlander

11 hours ago, Rollersk8mom said:

This is very helpful but I'm overwhelmed.  Never been to NYC, scared as all get out.  So I did see that going to Newark airport is best.  So I can google hotels in Elizabeth NJ and they will have a shuttle from airport to the hotel?  

Then how do we get from the hotel in Elizabeth to the cruise port?  After the cruise I think I am going to pay for the Royal Caribbean shuttle to the airport.  But the hotel to cruise port has me nervous.  

Uber/Lyft is huge here, just download the app and request a car when ready to go to the cruise port.

14 hours ago, Rollersk8mom said:

If it will make you feel any better you won't be in NYC, you'll be in New Jersey.

As others have said, taxis and Uber/Lyft are readily available, just as they are in any urban or suburban area of the US.