Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

51 minutes ago, jonnyenglish1 said:

Has anyone who is booked on the first few sailings been offered the chances to bid for an upgrade yet? I am on the 9th March but not seen anything for my cruise yet?.

Many thanks

I’m on the inaugural and we can’t bid for an upgrade. We can’t book dining either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

I’m on the inaugural and we can’t bid for an upgrade. We can’t book dining either.

I was on a Princess ship recently and I found it odd that one could not select any dining until payment in full.  But then I was fascinated by the MDR process down to time and size of table.  Wide variety to pick from.  First cruise in a long time I got a spot for 6pm and table for one.  

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

First cruise in a long time I got a spot for 6pm and table for one.  

My friends and I (Spaniards) love cruising with Princess because there’s no competition at all for the latest possible dinner time reservation 😂 (8pm, which is still SUPER early for us).

And also because I’ve always found North American people to be particularly friendly and polite!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Pixelskaya said:

My friends and I (Spaniards) love cruising with Princess because there’s no competition at all for the latest possible dinner time reservation 😂 (8pm, which is still SUPER early for us).

And also because I’ve always found North American people to be particularly friendly and polite!

The truth is that it is a great attraction, because yes, the Princess cruises are not overcrowded, in addition, since we are about 3 hours behind in the schedule of the target audience (Americans, Canadians...), we tend to be quite calm everywhere. The only problem is the lunch at the buffet, which at 3 p.m. It is quite empty and even with the street already closed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

If you are Elite, you can book dining reservations right after booking the cruise.

We are on the March 9 cruise, I am Elite and still have not been able to book dining.  Called and was told you have to wait till 60 days out to book dining.  Something is fishy.   No-one seems to know anything about anything on this new Sun Princess.  Not worried though and still excited to be on the new ship. Just wish we could book dining since we are a party of 7.

• Like 3

Everyone needs to understand how different this is for Princess.  The Signature series is new, the main dinning room is new, the cabana section is new. Everyone needs to understand if you are on the early cruises of this new ship that it’s new!  YOU booked this experience. They are still figuring it out. You will experience bumps. Book for October if you want it a smooth sailing. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Pixelskaya said:

aw that is nice comment.  

And yes we do in USA like to eat say 5:30 - 6:30 on average.  

Still I was amazed at the selection of times.  The list was in 15 minutes segments kind of like a real restaurant.  I was happy to have a great selection and for my Princess cruise in Alaska, I ate in the MDR a lot compared to other cruise lines.  Fettuccini alfredo was excellent in MDR and better than in some speciality restaurants on other ships.   

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Everyone needs to understand how different this is for Princess.  The Signature series is new, the main dinning room is new, the cabana section is new. Everyone needs to understand if you are on the early cruises of this new ship that it’s new!  YOU booked this experience. They are still figuring it out. You will experience bumps. Book for October if you want it a smooth sailing. 

It wil take atleast six months,  before the ship steady's. That is from  speaking to some crew that are transferring to the Sun. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, c-boy said:

It wil take atleast six months,  before the ship steady's. That is from  speaking to some crew that are transferring to the Sun. 

Agreed. I still am very concerned about Princess trying to do suite level service. Their service has never been good and now they are trying to elevate it?!?  I love Princess but I forgive more mistakes because “I’m on a cruise” than I would expect to at a suite level. They have one chance to wow me or we are done. 

35 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Agreed. I still am very concerned about Princess trying to do suite level service. Their service has never been good and now they are trying to elevate it?!?  I love Princess but I forgive more mistakes because “I’m on a cruise” than I would expect to at a suite level. They have one chance to wow me or we are done. 

Interesting.

We've found the service often impeccable but the food leaving something to desire so hoping for the two new dining rooms to step it up in that area.

If not we're back to just a balcony cabin.

• Like 1

The suite hosts on the newer Royal class ships are a joke. They say they will do things for you but are basically inept. Asked me if I wanted some reservations in the Sanctuary upon embarkation said “perfect, I’ll go up there later today and see what I can get”. Um, they will be sold out in the next 30 minutes. You don’t know your own ship?  

And every single cruise I have to tell the dinning room staff that if I order wine to eat with my meal, don’t bring me my appetizer until I get the wine. Again, these things don’t ruin my cruise but frustrate me from a service perspective. We will see if The Signature Restaurant comes close to the premium suite dinning rooms on other lines. 

8 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

The suite hosts on the newer Royal class ships are a joke. They say they will do things for you but are basically inept. Asked me if I wanted some reservations in the Sanctuary upon embarkation said “perfect, I’ll go up there later today and see what I can get”. Um, they will be sold out in the next 30 minutes. You don’t know your own ship?  

And every single cruise I have to tell the dinning room staff that if I order wine to eat with my meal, don’t bring me my appetizer until I get the wine. Again, these things don’t ruin my cruise but frustrate me from a service perspective. We will see if The Signature Restaurant comes close to the premium suite dinning rooms on other lines. 

We had the most awesome "suite host" on our recent Regal cruise this month. He organized a bridge tour for us and threw 3 parties! He remembered our names and often was out looking for suite guests in the evening to be sure they were having a good time!! He told us to meet him at Alfredo's the last morning and walked us off past everyone else inside the ship at disembarkation. WOW! Incredible service!! It really made our cruise very special even though we had been on that itinerary so many times. We loved it so much, we booked onboard another cruise before spring after making sure he would be onboard still. 🥰

• Like 3

I copied this from a blurb on Cruise Critic about the Sun.

Is it accurate?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/sun-princess-will-debut-a-host-of-new-cabin-types

The 76 Cabana staterooms are a completely new idea for Princess Cruises and surprisingly large at 329 square feet. They have double-size balconies as well as a cabana -- a bit like a sun room -- with sliding bi-fold doors so you can open them onto the balcony or keep the cabana as a light-filled enclosed part of the stateroom.

These resort-style staterooms have an affordable price point compared to other suites but are surprisingly roomy, making them perfect for families, and they come with the extra perk of having access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant as well as the Cabana Sundeck, pictured above.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chamima said:

I copied this from a blurb on Cruise Critic about the Sun.

Is it accurate?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/sun-princess-will-debut-a-host-of-new-cabin-types

The 76 Cabana staterooms are a completely new idea for Princess Cruises and surprisingly large at 329 square feet. They have double-size balconies as well as a cabana -- a bit like a sun room -- with sliding bi-fold doors so you can open them onto the balcony or keep the cabana as a light-filled enclosed part of the stateroom.

These resort-style staterooms have an affordable price point compared to other suites but are surprisingly roomy, making them perfect for families, and they come with the extra perk of having access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant as well as the Cabana Sundeck, pictured above.

Yes, this is referring to the Reserve Collection Cabanas (Category C1/C2) on deck 9 which will have access to the Cabana Deck AND Reserve Collection restaurant.

Reserve Collection Mini-Suites (Category M1/M2) will also have access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant - circa another 120 staterooms. 

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

We had the most awesome "suite host" on our recent Regal cruise this month. He organized a bridge tour for us and threw 3 parties! He remembered our names and often was out looking for suite guests in the evening to be sure they were having a good time!! He told us to meet him at Alfredo's the last morning and walked us off past everyone else inside the ship at disembarkation. WOW! Incredible service!! It really made our cruise very special even though we had been on that itinerary so many times. We loved it so much, we booked onboard another cruise before spring after making sure he would be onboard still. 🥰

Wow!  That’s great. Mine couldn’t even arrange for us to get a carafe of coffee sent to our cabin every morning at 7:00am. After two days of completely screwing it up we cancelled the request. Yes, they brought us down to skip the walk off line but by the time they did this we were over them. 

17 hours ago, dides said:

Yes, this is referring to the Reserve Collection Cabanas (Category C1/C2) on deck 9 which will have access to the Cabana Deck AND Reserve Collection restaurant.

Reserve Collection Mini-Suites (Category M1/M2) will also have access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant - circa another 120 staterooms. 

Thinking about the design a bit more, I really cannot understand why the Reserve Collection Restaurant is located next to the mid-aft elevators when all the Reserve Cabanas are located near the forward elevators and the Reserve Mini-Suites are mostly midships. And the Signature restaurant is located midships when most of the suites are located mid-aft and aft! 

image.png.bb707332118fb212347c1158185b23ed.png

In terms of numbers (if you exclude 3rd/4th+ passengers) then you will have just over 400 passengers allowed to eat at the Reserve Collection Restaurant  while only 160 will be eating at the Signature restaurant. And they aren't that different in size.

Edited by dides

2 minutes ago, dides said:

Thinking about the design a bit more, I really cannot understand why the Reserve Collection Restaurant is located next to the mid-aft elevators when all the Reserve Cabanas are located near the forward elevators and the Reserve Mini-Suites are mostly midships. And the Signature restaurant is located midships when most of the suites are located mid-aft and aft! 

image.png.bb707332118fb212347c1158185b23ed.png

In terms of numbers (if you exclude 3rd/4th+ passengers) then you will have just over 400 passengers allowed to eat at the Reserve Collection Restaurant  while only 160 will be eating at the Signature restaurant. And they aren't that different in size.

So that the rest of us can feel we’re missing out on something and book a more expensive cabin next time. That would be my guess!

• Haha 3

On 12/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, dides said:

On another site it's been pointed out that a new category of Premium Deluxe Balcony D0 has just been created which now falls under the Signature collection. These are the aft based ones only- the deck plan indicates they get Signature benefits but it doesn't mention this when you click to reserve a particular stateroom under special notes and the pricing hasn't yet changed. Can anyone confirm? This will be a nice surprise for anyone already booked! 

image.png.f4340bb67cc3ac9738957b212e3ed01c.png

image.png.a4daa7412dc68ab3b23999011de4338b.png

Ok

I found Sun princess deck plans by googling it , with a change in category name.

The D0 is now called a Signature Balcony with Signature Benefits.

No details are listed, as they are for S9- etc.