Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

We are on the newish, beautifully designed and fully functional Venture in Greenland enjoying every moment. A big contrast with our recent Quest Grand Voyage- in every way (although the ships are apples/oranges).

There is no formality here but neither have we seen poorly dressed tired and saggy trousers and jeans ever during this expedition voyage. People dress smartly and even the jeans look good on them. So what is the issue on the larger Seabourn ships? Obviously the demographic is wider and the product different, and that has carried across/meant something as far as dress sense is concerned. 

Just my two cents in this ridiculous subject. I mean, really, if people want to dress like they could care less about their appearance while on a luxury cruise, why even give them a second thought?

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, markham said:

We are on the newish, beautifully designed and fully functional Venture in Greenland enjoying every moment. A big contrast with our recent Quest Grand Voyage- in every way (although the ships are apples/oranges).

There is no formality here but neither have we seen poorly dressed tired and saggy trousers and jeans ever during this expedition voyage. People dress smartly and even the jeans look good on them. So what is the issue on the larger Seabourn ships? Obviously the demographic is wider and the product different, and that has carried across/meant something as far as dress sense is concerned. 

Just my two cents in this ridiculous subject. I mean, really, if people want to dress like they could care less about their appearance while on a luxury cruise, why even give them a second thought?

No saggy baggy jeans on my husband.  I think the real issue for some is that this is how dress normally and smart casual does not mean the same thing to them as it does to you and to me.  Plain and simple, it's a cultural difference.  I like hearing your great report about Venture.  

On 12/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, Sunprince said:

As a comparison,  we spent 25 days earlier this year on a “world cruise” segment with Regent.  We did enjoy the cruise,  Regent has an “elegant causal” dress code (jeans not allowed) . Well…I have never been on a luxury cruise with such a poorly dressed group of people.  Yes, some dressed more elegantly, but the vast majority of guests seemed to opt for the most basic, low end version of the dress code. For example, it was not uncommon in the evening to see men wearing trousers that  zipped off at the knee (these are the pants that turn into shorts via a zipper at the knee).  Although technically within the dress code, it was not elegant.  Also let’s just say…their “collared shirts” would not be something I would wear gardening or mowing the lawn.  The women were not much better.  Perhaps I expected the “world cruise crowd” to be a little more worldly. 

Is this a trend? Have people become lazy? Are we just too uptight?  I prefer to “dress well” while being comfortable. Not becoming the “lowest common denominator” has usually served us well.  

We were on your cruise...and I was also appalled at the appearance of too many guests who were so poorly dressed!

I am thrilled about the end of formal nights on the Expedition ships. That sports jacket takes up a lot of suitcase real estate.

The jeans change won't impact us at all. Jeans are heavy and bulky--not desirable when packing for air travel. They stay at home.

Is Brunello joining our next cruise? And if so, who from the smart/prestige/elegant/boutique ready-to-wear segment is sponsoring him?

If not, I am not sure about the comment starting with “So…” and ending with “…rules”.

OTOH since I am no longer in my 40s I concede I may not get your vibe/drift/be adrift. No jeans for me. I wear them only for gardening and then only until the knees give out.

• Haha 1

When I go onto college campuses, everyone seems to wear shorts and t-shirts.  Since they will be the next generation of cruise passengers after the Under 40s Who Wear Jeans, I think the cruise lines should readjust the dress codes even lower to attract the upcoming demographic group.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, markham said:

Is Brunello joining our next cruise? And if so, who from the smart/prestige/elegant/boutique ready-to-wear segment is sponsoring him?

If not, I am not sure about the comment starting with “So…” and ending with “…rules”.

OTOH since I am no longer in my 40s I concede I may not get your vibe/drift/be adrift. No jeans for me. I wear them only for gardening and then only until the knees give out.

Bruno Tonioli might be more to your liking rather than Cuccinelli and his gelato stall.

I can't believe that you wear jeans to do the gardening pull yourself together man and get a gardener.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

Jeans were the least of our clothing issues on the Norwegian itinerary we just finished.   I wish I had not seen the large fellow in the male equivalent of a bikini bottom.  Neither the front or back view was appropriate for viewing. In fact, it bordered on exhibitionism of the most unpleasant kind.  Mr. SLSD said it was one of the worst things he has seen in his whole life--"appalling" he says.  In fact, it was so bad, I am surprised that Seabourn did not take some kind of action.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

I'm sorry.  It was wash day and I had nothing else to wear.

It was a man from Europe.  At least Americans cannot be blamed this time for terrible clothing choices.  I think he intended to shock and horrify and it should not have been allowed.  

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

It was a man from Europe.  At least Americans cannot be blamed this time for terrible clothing choices.  I think he intended to shock and horrify and it should not have been allowed.  

Oh, that must have been my cousin, Rothko McDougal Schmidt.  He's German/Scottish.

I assume that  this gentleman was showing everyone some 'bits'  which most of us would consider unsuitable  for public viewing?  It can happen with  baggy shorts, on someone sitting down with manspread legs and no undies.  I can testify.  (On a Seabourn ship).

23 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@SLSD if he was French, it is apparently compulsory in France to wear Speedo type swimming trunks in a public pool not loose shorts. One needs to wear blinkers to protect one's retinas from permanent destruction 😂😂😂

It was way worse than that.  And another passenger told me that she witnessed some inappropriate behavior.  That's all I will say here.  

While we are talking about clothing choices for Seabourn passengers and also Seabourn’s hapless efforts to please everyone including those up and coming strivers who comprise what some call the “new demographic”, let’s discuss *** accessories ***. I am talking about tats:

Are tats to be encouraged? A revenue generator for the rather ridiculous Retreat? What would you say if somebody asserted that the latest mantra is “more is more”? Is that it? So like tats, jeans, speedos are all about “me being me and you being you”. Like isn’t that where Seabourn needs to go?

And does this prospect make cruising more attractive and pleasurable? I am sure Mr L will have something to add. Go for it.

11 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Inappropriate behavior?  Oh, then that was probably my other cousin, Rothko Paddy LaGuardia.  He's Italian/Irish.

It was gross as described to me.  Not at all funny or amusing.  Probably done to shock and for the thrill.  

I will not be popular here, but I’ve looked several times at a SB cruise and have decided against it because of the no jeans policy, as people have said there are jeans and there are jeans , most stylish Europeans wear them to high end venues and as a general rule look pretty chic and fabulous.
I’ve seen many fellow cruisers dressed in suits, chinos , smart trousers and quite frankly some of them look like they’ve either just got out of bed or have spent a day in the garden !!! It’s how you wear your clothes , this is 2023 after all , times are a changing 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Rosroz said:

I will not be popular here, but I’ve looked several times at a SB cruise and have decided against it because of the no jeans policy, as people have said there are jeans and there are jeans , most stylish Europeans wear them to high end venues and as a general rule look pretty chic and fabulous.
I’ve seen many fellow cruisers dressed in suits, chinos , smart trousers and quite frankly some of them look like they’ve either just got out of bed or have spent a day in the garden !!! It’s how you wear your clothes , this is 2023 after all , times are a changing 

Ah, now you may see this as surprising, but I APPLAUD YOU.  Because you actually check to see what the dress code is, and rather than flaunt the dress code, you decided to choose to respect it and select a different cruise line that caters to what you want.

That's exactly what should happen.  If you decide that wearing jeans is important then there are cruise lines that will allow it, and the passenger can choose to go to a different cruise line that more closely aligns with the dress code he wants.

It's when people say "Oh, I see that SB doesn't allow jeans, but I'm going to go ahead and wear them anyways because I'm special and I paid for this and the rules don't apply to me" that I have real problems.

So good on you, mate, for doing the right thing.

As to whether cruise lines should change their rules because of changing times, that's a debate for another day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rosroz said:

I’ve looked several times at a SB cruise and have decided against it because of the no jeans policy

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

It's when people say "Oh, I see that SB doesn't allow jeans, but I'm going to go ahead and wear them anyways because I'm special and I paid for this and the rules don't apply to me" that I have real problems.

But Seabourn does now allow jeans, except in one restaurant on the infrequent formal nights. So isn't this a discussion of the past, rather than the present or future? 

I think most people understand the difference between gardening jeans and jeans you'd wear to a nice restaurant. Most people aim to abide by the rules/suggestions/codes which exist. And some people will flaunt rules or do whatever they please and feel the rules don't apply to them — whether we're talking about clothing, lounge chairs, waiting in lines, arriving back at a tour bus on time, etc. 😉

So aren't we at a point where there's no reason to continue poking at and discussing the dress code and jeans policy?

• Like 5

I’ve decided that when I am in hell the experience will be based on a continuous discussion of dress code on Seabourn with breaks only for eating kale and listening to opera. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3