Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hope  you are not about to embark on the Explorer, Julie, as I believe she and others are being sent away from Oz ports until they have had their 'dirty bottoms' cleaned.  🤫

😁No Lola not until later in the year and around Japan.

We leave tonight to fly to Miami to join Quest on a Grand Voyage. Our longest cruise at 79 days.

Lola I do like bling and colour on my clothes and I have read good things about Explorer so I go with an open mind. @Mr Luxurynote I said open, not empty 🙂.

Julie

15 hours ago, Dusko said:

How about we work on banning loud people who shout “Where are you from?” Those words should be banned from any dining room, as should starting any discussion involving religion or politics. 

Great ideas here!! And should have that rare universal agreement 😄

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

😁No Lola not until later in the year and around Japan.

We leave tonight to fly to Miami to join Quest on a Grand Voyage. Our longest cruise at 79 days.

Lola I do like bling and colour on my clothes and I have read good things about Explorer so I go with an open mind. @Mr Luxurynote I said open, not empty 🙂.

Julie

Indeed Julie,

I remember what happened when we tried Crystal.

Shocking experience.

I have had a few discussions with John Barron who was with Regent and starred in those cruise programmes on TV. 

He is now firmly back with Seabourn and loving it.

Have a great time and post if the need takes you.

We haven't sailed with Seabourn since before Covid and have just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Regent Navigator 😜. Husband was not impressed as I wouldn't let him take his mountain bike on this one 😂.

Personally I like to dress up in the evening on a cruise, however, I would far prefer it that the dress code is amended to attract a new generation of cruisers than a blind eye be turned to those obviously ignoring same dress code which seems to upset people on most of the 'dress code' threads. It may also mean that our favourite cruise lines can stay 'afloat' both literally and financially.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Julie

I hope you have safe travels to Miami and that you have a lovely cruise.  I'll be joining in Santiago for the last 58 days which will be my longest cruise.  Hopefully we can meet for a drink onboard.

Ann

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:20 AM, Sunviking said:

I hope you have safe travels to Miami and that you have a lovely cruise.  I'll be joining in Santiago for the last 58 days which will be my longest cruise.  Hopefully we can meet for a drink onboard.

Ann

We made it to Miami yesterday evening after a long 30+ hour travel experience. All being well I will enjoy meeting  you for a drink after you board in Santiago. To get ourselves in the mood we enjoyed some good Argentinian food at a restaurant a short walk from the Four Seasons hotel last night.

Julie

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

We made it to Miami yesterday evening after a long 30+ hour travel experience. All being well I will enjoy meeting  you for a drink after you board in Santiago. To get ourselves in the mood we enjoyed some good Argentinian food at a restaurant a short walk from the Four Seasons hotel last night.

Julie

Wishing you a wonderful cruise

Nancy

• Thanks 1

On here as I don't want to start a new topic, but Sojourn and Quest are in Miami today, side by side, so Julie will be boarding Quest for her epic trip.

Hoping she will be sending the odd report, and that they will have an amazing time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

On here as I don't want to start a new topic, but Sojourn and Quest are in Miami today, side by side, so Julie will be boarding Quest for her epic trip.

Hoping she will be sending the odd report, and that they will have an amazing time.

Sending Julie all best wishes for a fabulous trip.  I believe that Markham is also on the Quest.  Sending him best wishes as well.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Again, not to start a new thread, but wondering if Julie or Markham might start a thread  on their cruise - I see they are now in Panama City.   Unless the internet is being awkward.

Markham just started one

Nancy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not trying to flame the jean conversation again. DH won’t be wearing, but I am curious about this. In warmer weather climates, Mediterranean, do men often wear short sleeve, but higher end, button/collared shirts with nice slacks? Not on formal night, but regular. 

I do think (and for the first time ever my husband agrees having spent his working life in a shirt and tie) that men draw the short straw as far as dress code is concerned 😜. We women can wear short sleeves, no sleeves or totally strapless, low cut or high neck, short skirt, long skirt or trousers.

I always comment on this when watching women's golf too - the men have to wear long trousers but the women get away with short skirts or shorts - standing up for the men here 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Not trying to flame the jean conversation again. DH won’t be wearing, but I am curious about this. In warmer weather climates, Mediterranean, do men often wear short sleeve, but higher end, button/collared shirts with nice slacks? Not on formal night, but regular. 

Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Definitely common and acceptable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I do think (and for the first time ever my husband agrees having spent his working life in a shirt and tie) that men draw the short straw as far as dress code is concerned 😜. We women can wear short sleeves, no sleeves or totally strapless, low cut or high neck, short skirt, long skirt or trousers.

I always comment on this when watching women's golf too - the men have to wear long trousers but the women get away with short skirts or shorts - standing up for the men here 😁

Well, what can we say?  Most men would not want to wear short skirts and low necks.  Personally, I just don't see what the issue is with wearing a jacket (sports coat in the US) for a couple of hours.  It's called appropriate dress.  I'm no stickler and I'm close to saying that letting everyone wear jeans is ok--even though I would not wear them in the evening myself.  Here's how I see it--we are all adults and conformed at least to a certain degree all of our adult lives to certain expectations.  Dress is one of them.  Perhaps Mr. SLSD and I are way out in left field, but he is a man who wore business suits with ties for his entire 40 year career and, now, even though retired, is happy to dress up a bit and wear a jacket and tie for dinners onboard a Seabourn ship.  At the same time, we recognize that some of you chafe at this.  

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Well, what can we say?  Most men would not want to wear short skirts and low necks.  Personally, I just don't see what the issue is with wearing a jacket (sports coat in the US) for a couple of hours.  It's called appropriate dress.  I'm no stickler and I'm close to saying that letting everyone wear jeans is ok--even though I would not wear them in the evening myself.  Here's how I see it--we are all adults and conformed at least to a certain degree all of our adult lives to certain expectations.  Dress is one of them.  Perhaps Mr. SLSD and I are way out in left field, but he is a man who wore business suits with ties for his entire 40 year career and, now, even though retired, is happy to dress up a bit and wear a jacket and tie for dinners onboard a Seabourn ship.  At the same time, we recognize that some of you chafe at this.  

It absolutely is not "left field" to believe that conforming with the required dress code, which pax agree to in advance, is appropriate. 

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

It absolutely is not "left field" to believe that conforming with the required dress code, which pax agree to in advance, is appropriate. 

Thank you.  I think perhaps some people do see it as out in left field.  I read Mr. SLSD some of the comments about dress and he just laughs--not at all understanding men who cannot face wearing a jacket and tie for a couple of hours.  I LIKE to see my husband in his jacket and bow tie--and we are not stuffy people.  We live half of our time out at our rural Texas farm wearing blue jeans and t-shirts and boots for weeks on end.  For us, it is fun to dress up just a bit for dinner. Who wants to dress the same way all of the time?  Is there no occasion special enough to dress for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

10 hours ago, SLSD said:

Well, what can we say?  Most men would not want to wear short skirts and low necks.  Personally, I just don't see what the issue is with wearing a jacket (sports coat in the US) for a couple of hours. At the same time, we recognize that some of you chafe at this.  

Perhaps the way I worded my reply to the person asking whether a short sleeved shirt was acceptable was not as clear as I thought as there is an assumption that I may not like the dress code. We too are very happy to adhere to whatever dress code is in place and also enjoy dressing up but I have yet to see a question from a woman asking whether it is acceptable for her to wear a short sleeved top!

My comment was more to do with the different expectations on men and women as far as dress code in life goes hence the golf comment. My hubbie and I were teachers at the same school - summer or winter the expectation was he wore a suit and tie. There was no expectation for me to even wear a suit let alone a tie and in the summer (in his words) 'you women are all in your floaty dresses and we are trussed up in a tie' which definitely rankled. For him, it wasn't that he had to wear business dress that was the issue, it was that I didn't.

Edited by Techno123

I hate to be a downer on this bright day in Natal, Brazil. However, the truth will be told, or at least my version of it.

I understand that recently “the suits” (heaven help me) from Seattle decided that the signage outside the MDR advising the day’s dress standards would no longer be used. So it is now more or less officially “anything goes”.

What this means for Seabourn’s future is up to debate. We can all agree though that the “Hollandization” of what was once a luxury cruise line is fully institutionalised, and my take is we are thereby slipping deeper into mediocrity.

How so? There is now a shlub culture formalized in passengers’ choice of dress. Make an effort to dress up a bit? Whazzat? Old tired jeans are now the norm in the bars after 18:00 and in all the dining venues. And there is hardly any reason to wear evening dresses and tuxedos on “formal nights”. Meet in captain in a bathrobe? Who cares?

I know, I know… you can suit yourself and dress to the nines. But why even bother? There are better cruise lines with more structured dress codes and broadly better offerings across the board than the HAL- Seabourn of today. 

And don’t get me started about the mediocre school menu quality buffet lunches in the Colonnade. 

Anyway, let’s submit our cruise evaluations in due course, review our travel plans, and get on with life.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, markham said:

I hate to be a downer on this bright day in Natal, Brazil. However, the truth will be told, or at least my version of it.

I understand that recently “the suits” (heaven help me) from Seattle decided that the signage outside the MDR advising the day’s dress standards would no longer be used. So it is now more or less officially “anything goes”.

What this means for Seabourn’s future is up to debate. We can all agree though that the “Hollandization” of what was once a luxury cruise line is fully institutionalised, and my take is we are thereby slipping deeper into mediocrity.

How so? There is now a shlub culture formalized in passengers’ choice of dress. Make an effort to dress up a bit? Whazzat? Old tired jeans are now the norm in the bars after 18:00 and in all the dining venues. And there is hardly any reason to wear evening dresses and tuxedos on “formal nights”. Meet in captain in a bathrobe? Who cares?

I know, I know… you can suit yourself and dress to the nines. But why even bother? There are better cruise lines with more structured dress codes and broadly better offerings across the board than the HAL- Seabourn of today. 

And don’t get me started about the mediocre school menu quality buffet lunches in the Colonnade. 

Anyway, let’s submit our cruise evaluations in due course, review our travel plans, and get on with life.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Oh dear Markham Silversea will pull us even nearer.

Is it true that as long as your bathrobe is monogrammed then you can walk around the ship anywhere after 18.00.

I hear that the only sauce served with a meal will be Hollandaise.🙄

• Haha 3

For me, I dress according to my preferences which are probably more than the requested dress code indicates.

When at sea, we kept 4 hrs on, 8 hrs off watches. There was plenty of 'admin' to do in your 'off' time.

Meals were NEVER a relaxed affair.

You had no choice about what to wear, and no choice about when to eat. Taking as long as twenty minutes for a meal was frowned upon.

When in port, 6 hrs on, 6 hrs off. Same principle but no dining saloon as you were in working gear.

Meals were frequently missed altogether.

To be at sea, on a ship with a smart dress code and being allowed to have a relaxed meal at a time of my choosing and in pleasant surroundings is spot on. 

Other people can do what they want as long as they don't try to force feed me their desires, like an arrogant sounding guy who pointed out to me that i didn't need to wear a tie! When I told him I knew that and wore one out of choice he had no answer.🙂