Dress code for evening on Nieuw Amsterdam

rabbit72

1 hour ago, Mosaic said:

Yes, frowned upon.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No.

So, two different answers.  I do not know the dress code rules even one bit, but standard etiquette applies.

You won't find me dining in any uplifted dining room, main dining room or CO without pants, collared shirt and shoes.  Anytime of day.  I may be in resort dress in music venues though (shorts, golf shirt, shoes).

Since tuxes are rare now, it seem , I will stick to a sport coat or just a dress shirt.  Merely because I have no desire to pack a tux.  If there were still rentals, I would go for it.

4 hours ago, rabbit72 said:

Sorry if this has been asked but are wearing sandals/flip flops in the evening frowned upon? 

Thanks!

I would say, no problem as the fitness center, pools and other casual dining things are offered in the evening and I think in those areas, it is not inappropriate.  For the MDR, CO, and other upscaled dining experiences, put on shoes, collared shirt and pants.  Easy peasy.  ,

If you follow this advise, you will look relatively classy and follow standard etiquette almost anywhere these days.   It can also help you to be served better.

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

You won't find me dining in any uplifted dining room, main dining room or CO without pants, collared shirt and shoes.  Anytime of day.  I may be in resort dress in music venues though (shorts, golf shirt, shoes), won't catch me in cargo shorts and t-shirt unless on the beach.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.  They asked if they could wear sandals around the ship...

no one should catch you in cargo shorts anywhere on planet 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.  They asked if they could wear sandals around the ship...

no one should catch you in cargo shorts anywhere on planet 

If someone feesl the need to ask if scandals and flip flops can be worn at night and one person says yes, the other no and another says frowned upon, its a problem to clarify? 

Sorry bro!  

Oh.  And lighten up, Jeeeeeeeese!  😉

1 hour ago, bdd123 said:

If someone feesl the need to ask if scandals and flip flops can be worn at night and one person says yes, the other no and another says frowned upon, its a problem to clarify? 

Sorry bro!  

Oh.  And lighten up, Jeeeeeeeese!  😉

lol, you gave the guy the whole "Don't come into my MDR without a suit" speech and then listed your dress for every venue and situation.  

Just asked if sandals are ok around the ship.  Yes. They are. This isn't hard. Stop making it hard. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

I'm sure you'll find a few people on your cruise who will frown on sandals or flip flops in the evening, but frowning is likely  their default facial expression.🤭

It might be their napping face 🤷‍♂️

Hal doesn’t follow its dress suggestions.  There was a time you couldn’t get into dining venues at night except the lido with shorts.  Now anything goes.  Don’t want to change out of your pj’s, you don’t have to.  Sandals and flips flops would fall into the dressy category for hal now.

1 hour ago, friendswithdave said:

We're just off the NA. Sandals / flip-flops OK everywhere in the evening except the dining room. In the DR, dressy ladies sandals should be fine, but not flip-flops. Hope this helps. 

Thank you very much. 😊😉

4 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I would say, no problem as the fitness center, pools and other casual dining things are offered in the evening and I think in those areas, it is not inappropriate.  For the MDR, CO, and other upscaled dining experiences, put on shoes, collared shirt and pants.  Easy peasy.  ,

If you follow this advise, you will look relatively classy and follow standard etiquette almost anywhere these days.   It can also help you to be served better.

Well I’m a woman so I don’t wear collared shirts and pants.  I often wear a long skirt and top and my matching Birkenstocks on smart casual night.  I am often complimented on my dress and see nothing wrong with wearing Birkenstocks on smart casual night - they are not cheap flip flops - but I wouldn’t call them dressy sandals.  Frankly right now, they and my dress shoes are the only thing I can get on my foot so I don’t have much choice in the matter.

My dressy shoes are usually saved for dressy night unless they happen to match a choice for the evening 😉 

4 hours ago, bdd123 said:
2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Just asked if sandals are ok around the ship.  Yes. They are. This isn't hard. Stop making it hard. 

+1 

6 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

You know. Those strappy sexy mid to high skinny heel....lol

Not dressy: Teva or other water/hiking sandal with rugged bottom for river and trail walking.

The first ones haven’t been in my wardrobe for a long while.  Mine are somewhere between the two.  Didn’t think about the high heel.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

lol, you gave the guy the whole "Don't come into my MDR without a suit" speech and then listed your dress for every venue and situation.  

No I did not.   Instead I said at most I would do a coat, but most likely just buttoned/collared shirt.   You are making it hard.  Jeeeeeeez.