Azamara pre-cruise land tour to Machu Picchu January 2, 2023

trk_koa

I’m wondering if anyone here has some advice on how to escalate above the Land Program folks at Azamara. 

I’ve been emailing back and forth with land program and land concierge email addresses about our pre-cruise land tour to Machu Picchu scheduled for January 2, 2023 (a little over a week from now). 

I just got an email with a letter from their tour operator stating that everything is just hunky dory and the tour will proceed. Azamara won’t let me cancel without full penalty, even though the US State Department and the US Embassy in Peru are saying not to go. It’s not safe. 

I’m frustrated to say the least. 

(link to more detail on the ports of call)

5745F33E-FB83-4CB6-B68D-FF855DA4C578.jpeg

2 hours ago, trk_koa said:

I’m wondering if anyone here has some advice on how to escalate above the Land Program folks at Azamara. 

I’ve been emailing back and forth with land program and land concierge email addresses about our pre-cruise land tour to Machu Picchu scheduled for January 2, 2023 (a little over a week from now). 

I just got an email with a letter from their tour operator stating that everything is just hunky dory and the tour will proceed. Azamara won’t let me cancel without full penalty, even though the US State Department and the US Embassy in Peru are saying not to go. It’s not safe. 

Have you got travel insurance, if so check if they would refund you. In the UK travel insurers will refund you and would say if you did go you wouldn’t be insured if government advice is not to go.

5 hours ago, trk_koa said:

So sorry to hear your plans are being disrupted.  Interestingly the UK FCO advice does not include a no travel warning so UK guests would not be covered by their insurance if they cancel.  The information on the government website dated yesterday includes this

A service from Machu Picchu has begun to resume a partial service, with travel possible some of the way before the service connects with vehicles for onward travel to Cusco.

My guess is Azamara are trying to work through options but will recognise there are risks.  All I can suggest is you keep trying to get in contact with them - have you tried calling or messaging on Facebook or Twitter?

Sorry I cannot be more hopeful and I hope your trip works for you 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

I understand your concern. We went to Machu Picchu several years ago as a post-cruise excursion with Celebrity. At that time, there were not the widespread and violent protests which occurred just very recently. On our trip, there was a small street protest in Cusco, but there were more protests in the countryside. We had to get up at 3 am to take the tour bus from Cusco to Machu Picchu; the tour guide was hoping that the rural population would not yet be up and protesting. Nevertheless, we encountered roads blocked with boulders and other debris, at times having to get out of the bus so that it could ride over the boulders and then re-boarding. We were only a few miles from Machu Picchu going down a 4 lane-wide road when we noticed the vehicles ahead turning around. Then we saw the people who were marching down the road across the whole 4-lane width. They were running to the sides of the road and picking up stones, presumably to throw at the vehicles. Our bus turned around and went down back roads, at one point getting into a traffic jam of vehicles. We made it to Machu Picchu, and it was absolutely fabulous. But we did encounter fires and boulders in the roads on the way back to Cusco. We all credited the excellent Peruvian guide and driver to get us there and back safely, but it was unnerving.

On December 14, the current president of Peru declared a 30-day national emergency. While I don’t think you will be harmed by any of the Peruvian protesters, I can’t see how your trip wouldn’t be disrupted to some degree by the domestic situation in Peru. Obviously, the train tracks have been damaged. There may be some museums, restaurants, etc. that are closed. You may have to leave Cusco at 3 am, like we did. Only you and your family can decide whether it is worth it or not. Azamara isn’t going to do anything to help you.

If you do go, I hope that you know that it’s common to experience physical issues due to the altitude. Your hotel will offer oxygen tanks and recommend that you use it for 5 minutes before you go to sleep. Take it and use it, as you may not realize for a day or two that you have a headache or tummy troubles caused by the altitude. It’s just easier to do the 5 minutes at night to head off any problems before they come up.

I’ve been in touch with our travel insurance  broker. We’re waiting for information on the policy about whether this would be a valid reason for cancellation since AZ doesn’t appear to be willing to let us get our money back. 

I’m sure we won’t hear anytime now until after the holiday at this point. 

This is what I posted just now on the South America ports of call. I’ll continue to post on that thread. 

We arrived in Lima about 2.30 am due to a mechanical flight delay. The flight was barely 20% full. Few of us tourists. Immigration and customs was a breeze and we checked into the Hotel Costa del Sol by about 3:15am. The hotel is right across the drive in front of the airport . Our Azamara tour guide met us and we talked a bit in the lobby. He offered to take us touring today. We were a little wired so it took until after 4am to get to sleep.

Jose picked us up at 4 pm and we have been driving around past the beach and around Miraflores. Walked around near the JW Marriott and the mall. There is no sign at all of any unrest. Sunday and New Years Day, every one is out and about. Beaches are full, shopping, etc. We’ve seen security and police cars but not in as escalated state as we might have expected. 

We are currently at a restaurant in Miraflores, sitting outside, drinking a Pisco Sour and awaiting our seafood dinner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Azamara pre-cruise land tour to Machu Picchu January 2, 2023