Haven't cruised in 9 yrs and new to RCI...so many questions!

EliteQueen

Hi everyone! 

It's been 9 yrs since we last cruised, we're new to RCI and we have many questions! I did find answers to quite a few already but still have some. 

Now that we're a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids aged 7-15)  it seems that there are a number of added costs but maybe that's because it's been so long and there are 6 of us...lol. We are cruising on the Symphony of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean in January 2023.

1. Where can we find a list of what's included (specifically activities on board the ship)? 

2. In the App, when it says "Know Before You Go" and then says to Bring your Sea Pass - can we assume that means it's a paid activity?

3. Is Flowrider included in the cruise price or is the only way to access it via the paid lessons? (I kept finding conflicting info on the website)

4. Is Rockwall climbing included? Zipline? Lasertag? Ice skating in studio b?

5. Are there any 'must do' activities on board that we should consider? (paid or non-paid)

6. I read on one of the threads that a cruiser books 2 rooms (kids and parents) but they list themselves in one room and their partner in the other since only one of them drinks. Am I understanding correctly that if one adult drinks in a 2 adults room, both have to purchase the alcohol beverage pkg?

7. Is there significant value in "The Key" program?

8. Was also doing some reading in the threads on Royal Up. We have 2 rooms booked so I assume we would have to do this for both or risk not being across the hall from each other?

Any help is much appreciated!

Edited by EliteQueen

13 minutes ago, EliteQueen said:

Hi everyone! 

It's been 9 yrs since we last cruised, we're new to RCI and we have many questions! I did find answers to quite a few already but still have some. 

Now that we're a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids aged 7-15)  it seems that there are a number of added costs but maybe that's because it's been so long and there are 6 of us...lol. We are cruising on the Symphony of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean in January 2023.

1. Where can we find a list of what's included (specifically activities on board the ship)? 

2. In the App, when it says "Know Before You Go" and then says to Bring your Sea Pass - can we assume that means it's a paid activity?

3. Is Flowrider included in the cruise price or is the only way to access it via the paid lessons? (I kept finding conflicting info on the website)

5. Are there any 'must do' activities on board that we should consider? (paid or non-paid)

6. I read on one of the threads that a cruiser books 2 rooms (kids and parents) but they list themselves in one room and their partner in the other since only one of them drinks. Am I understanding correctly that if one adult drinks in a 2 adults room, both have to purchase the alcohol beverage pkg?

8. Was also doing some reading in the threads on Royal Up. We have 2 rooms booked so I assume we would have to do this for both or risk not being across the hall from each other?

I would NOT do royal up with 2 cabins. You risk not being together or one is approved not the other. Royal up is only if you dont care where your cabin is, like a gty. Yes if one adult gets the drink pkg in a cabin both must purchase something, but one can get the refreshment pkg instead by calling.

The key is worth it more for newbies imo. Saves maybe 15 minutes or so boarding. Wifi the whole cruise. I get 2 free days of wifi and 5 drinks a day and b2b usually a turn around lunch. For me it's a pass.

Flowrider is free and it's open a lot. My friends rode it daily. I had a cabin end of boardwalk and watched the kids do the rock climbing wall all day. It's free. They close it to wash it down. Zip line free but often a wait. Only tie shoes allowed. No slip ons for this. Ice skating is free but not open as much. 

1 hour ago, EliteQueen said:

Hi everyone! 

1. Where can we find a list of what's included (specifically activities on board the ship)? On the Royal site

2. In the App, when it says "Know Before You Go" and then says to Bring your Sea Pass - can we assume that means it's a paid activity? Not always.  If you have a specific event, ask on CC

3. Is Flowrider included in the cruise price or is the only way to access it via the paid lessons? (I kept finding conflicting info on the website)   Flowrider is included 

. Is Rockwall climbing included? Zipline? Lasertag? Ice skating in studio b?Rockwall is included, zip line on  the ship is included, ice skating is included.  I don't know about lazertag 

5. Are there any 'must do' activities on board that we should consider? (paid or non-paid) We love the shows and Symphony has some of the best entertainment.  The Ice show is terrific .  The slides, rockwall,  zip line, flowrider, and ice skating are fun . Skates are provided   

6. I read on one of the threads that a cruiser books 2 rooms (kids and parents) but they list themselves in one room and their partner in the other since only one of them drinks. Am I understanding correctly that if one adult drinks in a 2 adults room, both have to purchase the alcohol beverage pkg?  Yes - if one adult in a cabin wants a drink package, the other adult has to buy some sort of beverage package

7. Is there significant value in "The Key" program?   Your decision.  Look at the cost.  Everyone in the cabin over 6 has to purchase it.  The price is per person per day for  every day of the cruise

8. Was also doing some reading in the threads on Royal Up. We have 2 rooms booked so I assume we would have to do this for both or risk not being across the hall from each other?  If you are upgraded, there is little to no chance that you will  be near each other. 

Expand your quote to see some responses.  SO much has changed.  Try to read some of the posts here and on other social media sites.  Be aware that some other social media sites look like official RCCL sites but are not. 

If your ship goes to Coco Cay understand what is complementary and what is not.  Basically, the beach, chairs/umbrellas, food are free.  The water park and other activities cost. 

You may consider using  an experienced travel professional to answer some of your questions. 

Enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

5 hours ago, EliteQueen said:

Have you checked out your cruise planner in the RC site.

You need to sign in. That should show some the activities you can prebook, including the free shows. It will also give you an idea which activities are paid for as they will be in the planner. 

On the app you can look at this weeks cruise which will show the daily planner activities which should be similar to your cruise next month. 

Finally I've read that if your children want to go to the children's clubs then you should sign them up on the first evening as a lot of friendships get made that first evening 

Most of the shows are free HOWEVER, many may require a reservation.  The ones that require a reservation may book up for the times you want.  

I would strongly recommend booking any show that requires reservations ASAP once they become available.

Also, you did not ask however there are children's and vegetarian menus in the MDR.  I assume they will automatically give the children a children's menu.  I don't think there is a requirement that they order from that menu.  You should be able to see all of this in the phone app.  THE PHONE APP IS EXTREMELY USEFUL ON-BOARD.

18 hours ago, EliteQueen said:

Hi everyone! 

The sea pass is your id card and it opens your stateroom like a key.  Flowrider, rock climbing, ice skating and zipline are included.  I would say the shows are included and a  must do.  You should be able to reserve the shows on the app 45 days out.  Also, definitely download the app.  Yes, if one adult wants to buy the drink package, the other adult in the room has to buy it or if they arent a drinker, then they have to buy the royal refreshment package.  it would be worth it having 2 connecting rooms anyway with 4 kids.

Edited by Crazy planning mom