Arvia

buddy 27

5 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

I think one was to do with flights. People blaming P&O once they are at the airport both ends when it effectively isn't down to P&O to sort its now responsible of the airline. Lost luggage at the airport once back in the UK. Which would be down for the airline to sort. People complaining about staff and some other things which I can't be bothered to find.

Do you work in the travel industry then? You did mention your ‘knowledge and experience’ so it would be good to learn more. 

12 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do you work in the travel industry then? You did mention your ‘knowledge and experience’ so it would be good to learn more. 

I did I have worked Hospitality since the age of 18. Moved into working as a flight attendant for Monarch Airlines went back into Hospitality and worked for a cruise company till Covid came about. 

Imagine a couple complaining that we was about to sail away because they were late back and the Captain blowing his horn and people cheering them when they came back late.

Edited by carlanthony24

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

I did I have worked Hospitality since the age of 18. Moved into working as a flight attendant for Monarch Airlines went back into Hospitality and worked for a cruise company till Covid came about.

It’s always good to hear from people who have experience in the industry.

We all know the identity of our P&O insider and we appreciate his input. I think that interests should be declared on forums such as this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It’s always good to hear from people who have experience in the industry.

We all know the identity of our P&O insider and we appreciate his input. I think that interests should be declared on forums such as this. 

My Mum likes telling people what I have done. Proud parents

9 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

My Mum likes telling people what I have done. Proud parents

My Mum used to do that...She would tell everybody.....You'll never guess what he has gone and done this time.🤔

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do tell. 

Like I said Hospitality (Food & Beverage and also Reception) flight attendant. Love to go back and be a flight attendant at the minute but I am properly better off where I am at the moment, just encase the world goes pear shaped again. 

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This was the first time this has been tested with full ships and exposed learnings which are being worked upon ahead of tomorrow’s service.

Sorry Moley,  but the term "exposed learnings " is management speak for a complete catastrophe, 

P&O knew how many people were on board,  knew exactly where and when those passengers would be dining,  and the entire system collapsed. It's not as if there was a sudden influx of unexpected diners. 

Why were people not getting Christmas Dinner until 23:30 ?

Basically,  it is a PR disaster for P&O.  The mainstream press have got hold of the story,  and the PR department need to control the narrative ( great phrase!) asap.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry Moley,  but the term "exposed learnings " is management speak for a complete catastrophe, 

P&O knew how many people were on board,  knew exactly where and when those passengers would be dining,  and the entire system collapsed. It's not as if there was a sudden influx of unexpected diners. 

Why were people not getting Christmas Dinner until 23:30 ?

Basically,  it is a PR disaster for P&O.  The mainstream press have got hold of the story,  and the PR department need to control the narrative ( great phrase!) asap.

You’ve articulated superbly what I was thinking. I try to be evenhanded when discussing P&O having enjoyed so many cruises with them. I even have two booked for 2023. But “exposed learnings” had me scratching my head in disbelief! 

• Like 7

On 12/29/2022 at 9:25 PM, buddy 27 said:

OK people, so we are due to sail on Arvia on 21st January from Barbados for 2 weeks around the Caribbean. I know she has only just been launched and commenced her first cruise to the Mes before going Trans Atlantic on 6th Jan 2023. I have seen some reviews from those on board at present, which isn't good reading ( long queues for basically everything, food cold, can't book for shows or speciality meals etc and the on board app doesn't work. So my question is, to reassure all of us who have booked going forward, if you are currently on her, just how bad is it or is it just teething problems which hopefully will be sorted by my cruise. Please be honest. I don't expect perfection at all and can go with the flow most of the time. Regards Graham F. 

Hi Graham,

We're booked on Arvia on 21st as well and we're really looking forward to it despite reading the same stuff you've probably read. 

We've done 6 Christmas cruises previously that all had queues at the main dining rooms on Christmas Day. Most of the problem is because people go to the restaurant and wait outside before the time they were allocated. We've always had a letter in our cabin days before telling us our dining time and table number. People turn up 30 minutes early and a huge line forms. Theres no doubt a few teething problems as well but honestly I wouldn't worry. 

Regarding booking shows etc We haven't had a problem getting into any of the shows on any of our recent cruises with P& O. Jan 21st will be our 15th since the restart. We've booked some before getting on the ship, some onboard and others we just turned up when we fancied going. Most of the problems you read about will be greatly exaggerated and/or people not being very tech savvy. If you can't get the app working it's normally easy to sort out. And you can go to reception to book anything anyway.

Hope that helps answer your question 🙂

Regards

Greg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi Graham,

We're booked on Arvia on 21st as well and we're really looking forward to it despite reading the same stuff you've probably read. 

We've done 6 Christmas cruises previously that all had queues at the main dining rooms on Christmas Day. Most of the problem is because people go to the restaurant and wait outside before the time they were allocated. We've always had a letter in our cabin days before telling us our dining time and table number. People turn up 30 minutes early and a huge line forms. Theres no doubt a few teething problems as well but honestly I wouldn't worry. 

Regarding booking shows etc We haven't had a problem getting into any of the shows on any of our recent cruises with P& O. Jan 21st will be our 15th since the restart. We've booked some before getting on the ship, some onboard and others we just turned up when we fancied going. Most of the problems you read about will be greatly exaggerated and/or people not being very tech savvy. If you can't get the app working it's normally easy to sort out. And you can go to reception to book anything anyway.

Hope that helps answer your question 🙂

Regards

Greg

Thanks for your realistic reply Greg, we've done a cruise through Xmas before but on a fixed sitting. I'm aware that Arvia is all freedom dining so yes, most people will want to eat around the 7.pm to 8pm time when I would expect queues. Never used the on board app before so that should be 'interesting' lol.  Thanks again and let's hope its a great cruise, problems sorted or not. 

Regards Graham. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddy 27 said:

Thanks for your realistic reply Greg, we've done a cruise through Xmas before but on a fixed sitting. I'm aware that Arvia is all freedom dining so yes, most people will want to eat around the 7.pm to 8pm time when I would expect queues. Never used the on board app before so that should be 'interesting' lol.  Thanks again and let's hope its a great cruise, problems sorted or not. 

Regards Graham. 

Hi

Even with the freedom dining it reverts to fixed sittings for Christmas Day and New Years Eve for the ships with all freedom dining and also the ships that have fixed and freedom. I'd guess the problem here is that its all staff freshly working together combined with some bad planning, guests turning up early or entirely different times than they were allocated and some bad luck with the usual ropey IT. The app is ok, you can get a pager from the restaurants if you prefer anyway so you'll have no problems. 

You can check in online this morning if you hadn't noticed. 

See you onboard

Greg

54 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi

Even with the freedom dining it reverts to fixed sittings for Christmas Day and New Years Eve for the ships with all freedom dining and also the ships that have fixed and freedom. I'd guess the problem here is that its all staff freshly working together combined with some bad planning, guests turning up early or entirely different times than they were allocated and some bad luck with the usual ropey IT. The app is ok, you can get a pager from the restaurants if you prefer anyway so you'll have no problems. 

You can check in online this morning if you hadn't noticed. 

See you onboard

Greg

Can't speak for anything other than Britannia but I guess late bookings and non reply to the emails sent at the beginning of December caused problems on our cruise.  If you hadn't replied to the email you were allocated dining on 22nd. A huge crew formed at the desk in the Atrium which had been set up to deal with the bookings. Common problems were people on joint bookings being put into different restaurants, families finding teenage children put on different sittings and even families having members not allocated a time or place. People had already found their favoured freedom dining room having been on board a week and wanted to dine in that one so queued to ask to change to their favourite.

There were people wandering around dining rooms seeing where their allocated tables were and returning to queue to say it wasn't good enough. We had a reservation in Epicurean so didn't require our table but it wasn't cancellable and assumedly went unoccupied. One man we spoke with at breakfast on boxing day was a solo passenger. On Christmas day he was sat on a table for 8 where no one turned up by 9.10pm. He asked to move and was told the occupants were running late, at 9.20 they did finally allow him to be seated elsewhere with others.  He enjoyed the company of the new table but commented how he had waited since 8.30 for companions who never arrived.

This disorganised approach and allowing arbitrary changes on the 22nd clearly caused some problems. Luckily Britannia staff seem well trained and on the ball - we saw many who had been onboard with us last year - otherwise chaos might well have ensued.

I cannot praise Britannia staff enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Can't speak for anything other than Britannia but I guess late bookings and non reply to the emails sent at the beginning of December caused problems on our cruise.  If you hadn't replied to the email you were allocated dining on 22nd. A huge crew formed at the desk in the Atrium which had been set up to deal with the bookings. Common problems were people on joint bookings being put into different restaurants, families finding teenage children put on different sittings and even families having members not allocated a time or place. People had already found their favoured freedom dining room having been on board a week and wanted to dine in that one so queued to ask to change to their favourite.

There were people wandering around dining rooms seeing where their allocated tables were and returning to queue to say it wasn't good enough. We had a reservation in Epicurean so didn't require our table but it wasn't cancellable and assumedly went unoccupied. One man we spoke with at breakfast on boxing day was a solo passenger. On Christmas day he was sat on a table for 8 where no one turned up by 9.10pm. He asked to move and was told the occupants were running late, at 9.20 they did finally allow him to be seated elsewhere with others.  He enjoyed the company of the new table but commented how he had waited since 8.30 for companions who never arrived.

This disorganised approach and allowing arbitrary changes on the 22nd clearly caused some problems. Luckily Britannia staff seem well trained and on the ball - we saw many who had been onboard with us last year - otherwise chaos might well have ensued.

I cannot praise Britannia staff enough.

Thanks for the insight, how did these slots/sittings work choice of slots etc? It sounds recipe for disaster. The only Christmas cruise that we have been on we just had our normal siting time and it worked well, they did say that they would be busy so to order the wine the day before, probably a ruse to increase sales.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, majortom10 said:

End of the day P&O will do as they have always done and ignore the bad press and the bean counters will count the money. P&O for years have always treated their customers with contempt knowing that however bad it is people will still book with them again and make excuses and stick up for P&O.

Totally agree with you but with the number of new-to-cruise pax and changing passenger demographics on the new ships, it could become a problem...

On 12/31/2022 at 3:56 PM, Bill Y said:

Thanks for the insight, how did these slots/sittings work choice of slots etc? It sounds recipe for disaster. The only Christmas cruise that we have been on we just had our normal siting time and it worked well, they did say that they would be busy so to order the wine the day before, probably a ruse to increase sales.

Those on club dining had their booking extended by 30 minutes so 6.00pm and 8.30 extended by 30 minutes at end.

Freedom dining passengers who had bookings in place were emailed on 2 December with two times to choose from 5.45 and 8.45.  You could request the size of table and indicate any dietary requirements.

If you did not request a time and table size by replying you were allocated a table automatically on boarding.  A card was in your cabin confirming your arrangement when you boarded. No discussion could be had until the morning of 22 December when desks ere set up at 9.00 in the Atrium. You could then change your allocation if it was wrong or unsuitable.

On 22 December a form appeared in your cabin so you could order your wine in advance.

A lot of people had booked after 2 December so the allocations were fairly random and big queues developed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Those on club dining had their booking extended by 30 minutes so 6.00pm and 8.30 extended by 30 minutes at end.

Freedom dining passengers who had bookings in place were emailed on 2 December with two times to choose from 5.45 and 8.45.  You could request the size of table and indicate any dietary requirements.

If you did not request a time and table size by replying you were allocated a table automatically on boarding.  A card was in your cabin confirming your arrangement when you boarded. No discussion could be had until the morning of 22 December when desks ere set up at 9.00 in the Atrium. You could then change your allocation if it was wrong or unsuitable.

On 22 December a form appeared in your cabin so you could order your wine in advance.

A lot of people had booked after 2 December so the allocations were fairly random and big queues developed.

Thanks for the explanation,

The more we hear about the problems with freedom dining, the more we value the relative certainty of a fixed dining time, we don’t need the hassle and queuing

So until one of the MDR’s becomes club dining I can’t see us venturing onto these excel class ships.

I appreciate that many may not mind queuing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Thanks for the explanation,

The more we hear about the problems with freedom dining, the more we value the relative certainty of a fixed dining time, we don’t need the hassle and queuing

So until one of the MDR’s becomes club dining I can’t see us venturing onto these excel class ships.

I appreciate that many may not mind queuing.

In fairness, apart from Christmas day we never queued or saw anything other than four or five parties checking in at the desk.  We dined in Epicurean for Christmas day but I believe most people on Britannia were happy with their arrangements once they'd made any alterations required on 22nd.