Arvia

buddy 27

OK people, so we are due to sail on Arvia on 21st January from Barbados for 2 weeks around the Caribbean. I know she has only just been launched and commenced her first cruise to the Mes before going Trans Atlantic on 6th Jan 2023. I have seen some reviews from those on board at present, which isn't good reading ( long queues for basically everything, food cold, can't book for shows or speciality meals etc and the on board app doesn't work. So my question is, to reassure all of us who have booked going forward, if you are currently on her, just how bad is it or is it just teething problems which hopefully will be sorted by my cruise. Please be honest. I don't expect perfection at all and can go with the flow most of the time. Regards Graham F. 

11 hours ago, buddy 27 said:

OK people, so we are due to sail on Arvia on 21st January from Barbados for 2 weeks around the Caribbean. I know she has only just been launched and commenced her first cruise to the Mes before going Trans Atlantic on 6th Jan 2023. I have seen some reviews from those on board at present, which isn't good reading ( long queues for basically everything, food cold, can't book for shows or speciality meals etc and the on board app doesn't work. So my question is, to reassure all of us who have booked going forward, if you are currently on her, just how bad is it or is it just teething problems which hopefully will be sorted by my cruise. Please be honest. I don't expect perfection at all and can go with the flow most of the time. Regards Graham F. 

I’m not on her I’m afraid, but by way of some sort of reassurance I’d hazard a guess that the recent Press publicity will have sharpened the dull minds of those responsible for the current poor state of affairs with P&O - and persuaded them that they need to get a grip on this before it escalates.

By 21 January you might see a big improvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not like you to be so optimistic Harry !

Three weeks is not a lot of time to correct what appear to be significant management and personnel issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m not on her I’m afraid, but by way of some sort of reassurance I’d hazard a guess that the recent Press publicity will have sharpened the dull minds of those responsible for the current poor state of affairs with P&O - and persuaded them that they need to get a grip on this before it escalates.

I think the deciding factor will be how full the ship is, if she isn't full lots of issues determined by staff numbers will be alleviated. We have been on four cruises this year and our last one on Arcadia was the fullest at 70%. We had a staff ratio of 2/1 so no issues, it was a bit like years ago when you could have a chat with the staff in the restaurants and bars instead of them rushing about. Hopefully as they start filling the ships they will get the staff numbers up.  

End of the day P&O will do as they have always done and ignore the bad press and the bean counters will count the money. P&O for years have always treated their customers with contempt knowing that however bad it is people will still book with them again and make excuses and stick up for P&O.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

End of the day P&O will do as they have always done and ignore the bad press and the bean counters will count the money. P&O for years have always treated their customers with contempt knowing that however bad it is people will still book with them again and make excuses and stick up for P&O.

The power of a strong brand!

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

The power of a strong brand!

Yes but as we all know strong brands can fail P&O are no different. Especially when they have to fill Arvia/Iona 365 days of the year especially in colder months when children are at school.

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Disagree we’ve had issues and nothing but good service dealt with efficiently. Even when we don’t expect anything just to make them more aware that things were happening that shouldn’t be. Complaint went in at the end of one cruise because that is when the incident happened. We was told we were  not the first people to complain about this person upon leaving and the issue is now being dealt with. Call from head office about a week later saying they had seen the complaints we want to send you this item and give you xyz. 

To be honest most companies avoid news paper articles since they are mostly one sided. 

• Like 1

99% of the issue was Christmas dinner.

There is ample dining capacity but it’s not all in a formal main dining room. That’s fine for a ship designed to operate in warmer climates where formal main dining is less popular.

Come Christmas Day and New Years Eve, the demand for formal dining surges from circa 60% to circa 95%. This has to be managed onboard through using informal restaurants operating as main dining with waiter service however this was not as successful as desired on either Arvia or Iona this Christmas Day.

This was the first time this has been tested with full ships and exposed learnings which are being worked upon ahead of tomorrow’s service.

This won’t usually be an issue.

Other issue is wifi, particularly through Biscay - appears to have been poor for Iona’s cruise also and is a coverage issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Wifi is generally bad on most ships its operating off Satellite 

We were in Silhouette to Norway in June. The WiFi was pretty naff, but who really cares. Those who wanted to work could upgrade. We didn't bother as we were in 5G range most of the time.....what busy, busy lives some folk lead. I remember setting my out of office... Zap is on holiday..back in 2 weeks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Disagree we’ve had issues and nothing but good service dealt with efficiently. Even when we don’t expect anything just to make them more aware that things were happening that shouldn’t be. Complaint went in at the end of one cruise because that is when the incident happened. We was told we were  not the first people to complain about this person upon leaving and the issue is now being dealt with. Call from head office about a week later saying they had seen the complaints we want to send you this item and give you xyz. 

To be honest most companies avoid news paper articles since they are mostly one sided. 

Not really. Newspapers on weekends are full of travel supplements with celebrities and the like reporting on their wonderful cruises. Nothing bad ever seems to happen, and everyone seems to have a wonderful time! Same with the Jane Macdonald cruise programmes.  You could argue that these are really one sided! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We were in Silhouette to Norway in June. The WiFi was pretty naff, but who really cares. Those who wanted to work could upgrade. We didn't bother as we were in 5G range most of the time.....what busy, busy lives some folk lead. I remember setting my out of office... Zap is on holiday..back in 2 weeks.

Exactly. I only use my phone when in port. Apart from taking photos/videos when at sea etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

To be fair Zap, some people are self-employed and need to keep in touch. Not everyone is an office based employee enjoying annual leave. Others might want to keep in touch with elderly family members.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Not really. Newspapers on weekends are full of travel supplements with celebrities and the like reporting on their wonderful cruises. Nothing bad ever seems to happen, and everyone seems to have a wonderful time! Same with the Jane Macdonald cruise programmes.  You could argue that these are really one sided! 

That's celebrities. Its amazing what happens has soon as a celebrity goes onboard. The service ends being way past expectations because of cameras etc. 

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

That's celebrities. Its amazing what happens has soon as a celebrity goes onboard. The service ends being way past expectations because of cameras etc. 

Exactly, but it’s great publicity for the cruiselines, hence why you can’t argue that everything is one-sided. 

• Like 1

I have lost count how many people ask what the internet is like. The same answer is always given its not worth it because of the way it operates. Even if people are self employed some of these people are still told and when they get on board they say its bad I'm complaining. "Well we did warn you"

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Exactly, but it’s great publicity for the cruiselines, hence why you can’t argue that everything is one-sided. 

I know what you mean but news papers are definitely more hungry for a poor review and blow it all out of proportion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

I have lost count how many people ask what the internet is like. The same answer is always given its not worth it because of the way it operates. Even if people are self employed some of these people are still told and when they get on board they say its bad I'm complaining. "Well we did warn you"

When are they told? 

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Well said, just be a bit careful or you may get a holiday that you didn't expect.

At least I know a few people working onboard when I go on and they know what will happen. One of the people I know still remembers the first time we complained about a member of staff because he was the one that took the complaint.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Yes, but what exactly? 

I think one was to do with flights. People blaming P&O once they are at the airport both ends when it effectively isn't down to P&O to sort its now responsible of the airline. Lost luggage at the airport once back in the UK. Which would be down for the airline to sort. People complaining about staff and some other things which I can't be bothered to find.