Final thoughts over breakfast in Taste

wcook

My first NCL cruise comes to an end. Overall, it agrees with my general philosophy that the mainstream cruise lines are much more similar than different. Given the right itinerary and price I’d sail NCL again. But I won’t go out of my way. If anyone has any questions about the Epic or Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, ask away. 

The Ugly: Boarding in San Juan was a disaster. Three plus hours in lines, mostly outdoors and worst of all, absolutely nobody from NCL around to reassure people, hand out water, take care of the elderly, etc. and zero acknowledgment or apology afterward

The  Bad: Not a big deal, but I don’t like the 24 hour food source being a sit down restaurant. Who thinks this is a good idea? And there was just an overall sense  of disorganization. Show times would change from published times, with the daily letter being wrong. All aboard times at a port changed without any announcement other than in the small print. That sort of thing. 

The good: Fantastic group of fellow passengers. Friendly, helpful, and a great crew in the solo suites. The solo lounge in general was a really nice touch. And finally, breakfast in the Taste dining room. Such a better way to start the day than the chaos in the buffet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wcook said:

My first NCL cruise comes to an end. Overall, it agrees with my general philosophy that the mainstream cruise lines are much more similar than different. Given the right itinerary and price I’d sail NCL again. But I won’t go out of my way. If anyone has any questions about the Epic or Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, ask away. 

Can you share the freestyle dailies from this cruise?  I'm going at the end of the March on this itinerary and it would be nice to see what is happening on the ship as I try to plan excursions. (Even if the dailies were often wrong, would still be a nice way to get an idea of what is going on)

Edited by spenecer

4 hours ago, wcook said:

The Ugly: Boarding in San Juan was a disaster. Three plus hours in lines, mostly outdoors and worst of all, absolutely nobody from NCL around to reassure people, hand out water, take care of the elderly, etc. and zero acknowledgment or apology afterward

The  Bad: Not a big deal, but I don’t like the 24 hour food source being a sit down restaurant. Who thinks this is a good idea? And there was just an overall sense  of disorganization. Show times would change from published times, with the daily letter being wrong. All aboard times at a port changed without any announcement other than in the small print. That sort of thing. 

The good: Fantastic group of fellow passengers. Friendly, helpful, and a great crew in the solo suites. The solo lounge in general was a really nice touch. And finally, breakfast in the Taste dining room. Such a better way to start the day than the chaos in the buffet. 

Actually, I like that the 24 hour restaurant is a sit down.  On Royal, I can only get pizza.  I like having more choices.  Plus, on my last NCL cruise, the Great Outdoors Cafe was open until 11;30pm and had grab and go options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brookie848 said:

We're on this cruise in February. Can you let me know if there were any martini tastings? Those seem to be hit-or-miss on cruises now. I always enjoyed learning about the drinks and chatting with other passengers during the tasting.

I noticed both Martini and Mojito tastings. There might have even been more. Here’s a shot I took of the mojito glasses

485626E0-A4EC-4937-AA4D-1C04379235F9.jpeg

On 12/30/2022 at 10:17 AM, spenecer said:

Can you share the freestyle dailies from this cruise?

On 12/30/2022 at 9:41 AM, laudergayle said:

Can you share what entertainment was in the main theater and on what night?  Also how full was your cruise? How crowded was the pool area?

Sorry I didn’t have the sense to screenshot the daily program. MainStage entertainment was Pricilla, the Dance show, some singer and the Christmas show. Specific nights kept changing. I thought the ship felt near full, but it probably wasn’t. The 1/3 full post Covid sailings have spoiled me. Pool deck was happening, but people were able to find chairs - I didn’t see people circling. Same at the buffet. Looked full, but there was always at least one open table. 

This may be a long shot but do you recall what DRAFT beer was available?  I’m spoiled because the Joy had District Brewhouse and The Epic doesn’t.  I can’t find any info on this for the Epic. Just a list of beers fleet wide.