To Venice from Rome?

NCteacherlovescruising

Our cruise ends in Rome (June 2024) and we plan on staying there a few days. I don’t know if we’ll ever get back to Europe, because we’ve never taken a vacation with a long flight before. Aruba is the farthest we flown for a vacation. I see we can get to Venice by train in about 4 hours. Should we plan a day trip there or just focus on Rome and the surrounding area?  Besides hitting the typical highlights in Rome, I’d also like to visit a beautiful winery. We’re still undecided how many days we will spend there post cruise. It’s nearly impossible for us to figure out a budget this far in advance because it’s too soon to book anything. He hasn’t set a limit yet, I’m sure because he has no idea what things will cost. How many days would we need in Rome to see the major highlights-Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, Forum, the fountain and do a winery tour? Or should we do the winey tour while in Florence overnight? We would also possibly add a day in Venice?  Or if we add Venice, should we add that to the end and fly out of there?  What do you typically plan per day for touring and food there?  We need an idea of how much money to exchange before leaving or should we plan to use a credit card for most purchases?  So many unknowns!  

I believe I’ve read that you do not tip in Europe. Is this correct?  Will the ship (Celebrity) have their standard food or will it be European since the cruise is in Europe?

It makes more sense to do the winery tour as part of your overnight in Florence.  For example, train to Florence on day one, drop overnight bag at hotel and spend the day and night seeing the city.  On day two, use a car service to drive into the Tuscan countryside and visit a winery or two, then either have the driver bring you back to La Spezia or drop you at a train station so you can get back on your own.

• Like 2

Venice is too far for a day trip from Rome, in my opinion, and not seen in its best light at midday when everyone else who is day tripping is crammed into a relatively small space.

Perhaps consider adding a few more days to your trip and flying from from Venice rather than Rome.

As for Rome, the Vatican area (museums and basilica) eat up most of a day by themselves.    The Colosseum, Roman Forum and Capitoline use up another half to full day, depending on your interest level.

I did a great wine tour with Guido Wine Tours.   That would fit in with eurocruiser’s suggestion for day two.  Cruised the Med since 2006 and finally got to Venice in 2019.  I could not really understand why  I had not made it earlier.  We spent 2 nights pre and half a day post cruise.  I would suggest you do try to include it.  

whether a train trip from Rome in one day would be too exhausting, I could not say.  Others may have done it.  I think I would try that way so that you don't spend too much time with your luggage.  Also I would have thought you would get better choice of flights leaving from Rome.  

The great thing about Venice is that it is  compact and lends itself to wandering around.  Rick Steves has a great audio tour of the Grand canal and St Marks square.  I would not visit the Doge’s Palace or the Accademia museum if going for a day trip

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/venice-itinerary

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our cruise ends in Rome (June 2024) and we plan on staying there a few days. I don’t know if we’ll ever get back to Europe, because we’ve never taken a vacation with a long flight before. Aruba is the farthest we flown for a vacation. I see we can get to Venice by train in about 4 hours. Should we plan a day trip there or just focus on Rome and the surrounding area?  Besides hitting the typical highlights in Rome, I’d also like to visit a beautiful winery. We’re still undecided how many days we will spend there post cruise. It’s nearly impossible for us to figure out a budget this far in advance because it’s too soon to book anything. He hasn’t set a limit yet, I’m sure because he has no idea what things will cost. How many days would we need in Rome to see the major highlights-Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, Forum, the fountain and do a winery tour? Or should we do the winey tour while in Florence overnight? We would also possibly add a day in Venice?  Or if we add Venice, should we add that to the end and fly out of there?  What do you typically plan per day for touring and food there?  We need an idea of how much money to exchange before leaving or should we plan to use a credit card for most purchases?  So many unknowns!  

I believe I’ve read that you do not tip in Europe. Is this correct?  Will the ship (Celebrity) have their standard food or will it be European since the cruise is in Europe?

I am glad you are considering doing the wine tour from Florence on the way to the ship.  That would be the right place to taste the fine Tuscan reds.  There is a lovely wine region (Castelli Romani) right outside Rome, but those are white wines.  

You do need three nights in Rome (two full days) to see most of the main sites.  Don't shortchange it by going on a long day trip into Tuscany.  You will be right in Tuscany when in Florence and you can do it on the way back to the ship. (You got a good suggestion for a wine tour in the previous post.) 

A day trip to Venice makes no sense.  You would spend 8-9 hours traveling. If you do want to go to Venice, you should plan on at least two nights there.  Better yet, plan on your next cruise starting or ending in Venice and going down the Adriatic coast and into Greece.  Venice really deserves at least three nights.  And after this trip you will definitely want to get back to Europe.

You said you were concerned about long flights.  There are direct flights from Charlotte to both Rome (we took it this summer) and to Barcelona.  If you get your tickets the moment they become available, you can get decent prices for upgrading to premium economy, or maybe they will be available with points.  Basic economy would be a killer on those flights.  There are no direct flights Venice-CLT.

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

--  Plan to spend 3 days in Rome: one day for the Vatican and surrounding area, one day for the ancient sites (Colosseum, Forum, Baths) and one day just to enjoy the sights of the Centro Storico (Pantheon, Trevi, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori) and perhaps shop or go to a museum.

-- Venice is too far for a day trip. If you want to go there, add it at the end and fly out of Venice on your return home. You really need at least one full day plus whatever time you'd arrive from Rome on the first day to do it justice.

-- I agree with others about doing the winery from Florence area. Tuscan reds are popular (for good reason) and there are good vineyards. I'm not particularly a fan of vineyard visits but someone earlier posted the idea of a Chianti vineyard + a visit to charming Greve as an option to look into and I'd agree.

Celebrity serves their standard menus in the Med (I was just on Constellation for 19 days on BTB cruises in the Med in October). 

Tipping is fraught with emotion for Americans. It really isn't necessary in Italy. A token tip (e.g., rounding up change or a euro or two) is fine for good restaurant meals or for private transportation but nothing approaching the US percentages and only if you really feel it is merited. And if you don't leave a tip that's fine too. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, euro cruiser said:

It makes more sense to do the winery tour as part of your overnight in Florence.  For example, train to Florence on day one, drop overnight bag at hotel and spend the day and night seeing the city.  On day two, use a car service to drive into the Tuscan countryside and visit a winery or two, then either have the driver bring you back to La Spezia or drop you at a train station so you can get back on your own.

No worries about making it back to the ship on time if we do this day 2?  We're only in port until 6 PM.  I have no idea how long it would take to get from place to place.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:33 AM, euro cruiser said:

Venice is too far for a day trip from Rome, in my opinion, and not seen in its best light at midday when everyone else who is day tripping is crammed into a relatively small space.

Perhaps consider adding a few more days to your trip and flying from from Venice rather than Rome.

As for Rome, the Vatican area (museums and basilica) eat up most of a day by themselves.    The Colosseum, Roman Forum and Capitoline use up another half to full day, depending on your interest level.

Y'all have convinced me no to try a day trip to Venice.  If budget allows, we may at it to the end of our trip. 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:54 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I did a great wine tour with Guido Wine Tours.   That would fit in with eurocruiser’s suggestion for day two.  Cruised the Med since 2006 and finally got to Venice in 2019.  I could not really understand why  I had not made it earlier.  We spent 2 nights pre and half a day post cruise.  I would suggest you do try to include it.  

whether a train trip from Rome in one day would be too exhausting, I could not say.  Others may have done it.  I think I would try that way so that you don't spend too much time with your luggage.  Also I would have thought you would get better choice of flights leaving from Rome.  

The great thing about Venice is that it is  compact and lends itself to wandering around.  Rick Steves has a great audio tour of the Grand canal and St Marks square.  I would not visit the Doge’s Palace or the Accademia museum if going for a day trip

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/venice-itinerary

I looked up Guido wine tours and it says "All tours are suspended until further notice."  Not sure if we'll make it to Venice or not.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:49 AM, marazul said:

I am glad you are considering doing the wine tour from Florence on the way to the ship.  That would be the right place to taste the fine Tuscan reds.  There is a lovely wine region (Castelli Romani) right outside Rome, but those are white wines.  

You do need three nights in Rome (two full days) to see most of the main sites.  Don't shortchange it by going on a long day trip into Tuscany.  You will be right in Tuscany when in Florence and you can do it on the way back to the ship. (You got a good suggestion for a wine tour in the previous post.) 

A day trip to Venice makes no sense.  You would spend 8-9 hours traveling. If you do want to go to Venice, you should plan on at least two nights there.  Better yet, plan on your next cruise starting or ending in Venice and going down the Adriatic coast and into Greece.  Venice really deserves at least three nights.  And after this trip you will definitely want to get back to Europe.

You said you were concerned about long flights.  There are direct flights from Charlotte to both Rome (we took it this summer) and to Barcelona.  If you get your tickets the moment they become available, you can get decent prices for upgrading to premium economy, or maybe they will be available with points.  Basic economy would be a killer on those flights.  There are no direct flights Venice-CLT.

How long do you think it would take to do a wine tour from our hotel in Florence and then get back to the ship?  The tour suggested above is currently "suspended until further notice".  Perhaps that will change before we go.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:44 PM, cruisemom42 said:

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

--  Plan to spend 3 days in Rome: one day for the Vatican and surrounding area, one day for the ancient sites (Colosseum, Forum, Baths) and one day just to enjoy the sights of the Centro Storico (Pantheon, Trevi, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori) and perhaps shop or go to a museum.

-- Venice is too far for a day trip. If you want to go there, add it at the end and fly out of Venice on your return home. You really need at least one full day plus whatever time you'd arrive from Rome on the first day to do it justice.

-- I agree with others about doing the winery from Florence area. Tuscan reds are popular (for good reason) and there are good vineyards. I'm not particularly a fan of vineyard visits but someone earlier posted the idea of a Chianti vineyard + a visit to charming Greve as an option to look into and I'd agree.

Celebrity serves their standard menus in the Med (I was just on Constellation for 19 days on BTB cruises in the Med in October). 

Tipping is fraught with emotion for Americans. It really isn't necessary in Italy. A token tip (e.g., rounding up change or a euro or two) is fine for good restaurant meals or for private transportation but nothing approaching the US percentages and only if you really feel it is merited. And if you don't leave a tip that's fine too. 

You've convinced us to spend 3 days in Rome.  If we do Venice, we'll spend the night and fly home from there.  

Still uncertain about the wine tour.  We want to do one, but not sure about the arrangements.  That's something we enjoy doing at home as well.  Just spending the day at a beautiful vineyards enjoying wine.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:33 AM, GreenFamily said:

Another option is to take a train to Frascati at the end of a day of touring. It’s 30 min from Rome. Then do a sunset winery tour with dinner community style on the piazza. 

That sounds like a possibility.

38 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No worries about making it back to the ship on time if we do this day 2?  We're only in port until 6 PM.  I have no idea how long it would take to get from place to place.

Y'all have convinced me no to try a day trip to Venice.  If budget allows, we may at it to the end of our trip. 

I looked up Guido wine tours and it says "All tours are suspended until further notice."  Not sure if we'll make it to Venice or not.

How long do you think it would take to do a wine tour from our hotel in Florence and then get back to the ship?  The tour suggested above is currently "suspended until further notice".  Perhaps that will change before we go.

You've convinced us to spend 3 days in Rome.  If we do Venice, we'll spend the night and fly home from there.  

Still uncertain about the wine tour.  We want to do one, but not sure about the arrangements.  That's something we enjoy doing at home as well.  Just spending the day at a beautiful vineyards enjoying wine.

That sounds like a possibility.

Yes, you can stop in Pisa, do a wine tour and get back to your ship with plenty of time. Small tour operators can be very good, but they may or may not be available at anytime. Any of the large tour companies does very good wine tours and will do a custom itinerary for you.  Check Joe Banana, Rome in Limo, etc.  Prices are usually based on time and distance, not specific stops, and are comparable between all of them.  They all have suggested itineraries, but just tell them what you want to do and ask for a quote.  

It would be good if you could add time in Venice at the end of your trip and fly back from there. But you do need a minimum of two nights there to make it worthwhile. 

36 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Sorry, I'm not a lot of help on wine tours!  I think the suggestion of doing one from Florence on your return day makes a lot of sense -- combine it with Pisa.

I would suggest, once you decide this is the direction you want to go, that you talk with one of the frequently used private tour agencies that are mentioned here in many posts. Rome in Limo is one with high marks. You may be surprised at the cost for two though -- it will be pricey unless you can find someone to share your adventure.

There are "day tours" from Florence that do these wine tours, but the problem is that you'd need to combine it with transportation back to the ship and most of these tours end up back in Florence.

Orvieto and Frascati (as mentioned in another post) are close to Rome and produce popular white wines, not the familiar Italian reds that you like, so take that into your consideration.

If the winery stop is super important for you, then this might be the area to just splurge and do a private tour on your way back to the ship -- a good agency can help you set up to include pickup in Florence, a winery visit and maybe a stop in Pisa before getting back to your ship.  

Yes, you can do it.  From Florence to the winery will require a car in almost all cases, so factor that cost into your research.  You may be able to lessen the expense by having them drop you off in Pisa after the winery and taking the train back to La Spezia, but it may not be enough of a difference if you're uncomfortable with taking the train.  The car service will give you more usable time, as with public transit you'll need to leave earlier to give yourself some "pad" time.

However, if you use the train to get from La Spezia to Florence on the first day (very easy to do, especially without the pressure of a time limit) you may have enough of a comfort level to make it back on your own.

12 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Was able to visit Burano & Murano using the easy water taxi. 

Do you mean the vaporetti?  (In Venice, vaporetti and water taxis are two very different things. The vaporetto lines are like bus routes and the boats carry many passengers. Water taxis are private and, like a land taxi, are usually only for your party, although sometimes can be shared with a few others going to the same destination.)

I only bring it up because it can be confusing to people who are planning a visit...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do you mean the vaporetti?  (In Venice, vaporetti and water taxis are two very different things. The vaporetto lines are like bus routes and the boats carry many passengers. Water taxis are private and, like a land taxi, are usually only for your party, although sometimes can be shared with a few others going to the same destination.)

I only bring it up because it can be confusing to people who are planning a visit...

OOOPS! You are correct I mean vaporetti, it held a bunch of us. 

I did a private water taxi post cruise to our hotel. 

BTW your input here is so valuable, appreciated! 

Patty

Edited by cw2go

On 1/3/2023 at 10:34 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We decided to do the wine tour day 1 in Florence.  We are hiring Rome In Limo to take us to Pisa, Lucca and a Winery.  We will go to Florence day 2, or vise versa.  I greatly appreciate all the help everyone has provided!

Lucca is a great choice for a short stop.  I really enjoyed walking the walls.  

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 6:47 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

Lucca is a great choice for a short stop.  I really enjoyed walking the walls.  

Do you have any pictures to share? We are planning Florence day 1 and this private tour day 2. However, we are staying in the ship. It seems crazy to pay for the retreat and not go back to the ship to enjoy it.

Still yet to be seen if we will add Venice at the end of our trip. We’ll know more once plane tickets open for our dates so we can see how much they will cost. 

6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Do you have any pictures to share? We are planning Florence day 1 and this private tour day 2. However, we are staying in the ship. It seems crazy to pay for the retreat and not go back to the ship to enjoy it.

Still yet to be seen if we will add Venice at the end of our trip. We’ll know more once plane tickets open for our dates so we can see how much they will cost. 

I will refer to your points in reverse order.

if you have never been to Venice, I would say to try to make that extra day or two in Venice.  We did an Eastern Med in 2019 and I thought it was wonderful.  It was the most I have ever paid for a hotel, it was perfectly fine but it was small, it had no lift (not easy to fit modern day convenience into such old buildings).  The room had a real key !   Venice is a special place though. 

Nothing wrong with staying on the ship on your overnight.  You can still be in Florence after the crowds have gone and have an early drink and appetizers without worrying about missing the 4: 28 train back. You can have a good few more hours in Florence.  

As to Lucca.   So I loved it, but my photos are either spoiled or enhanced by the fact that there was a com-icon on the day we visited.  It was my wedding anniversary.  I could not help thinking  this was a metaphor for marriage.  It was so crazy.  So hear are some pictures, Lucca should be the star because it is a wonderful place.  

75EEFA87-425B-4616-BB4C-B1FBDA1BC6D7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Sorry that is so strange.  I turned them upside down in my library and they still came out upside dow,  That is comicon. For you.  You will have to turn your phone upside down.  ! !

I did turn my phone upside down, no worries. Thanks for sharing!  I had to look up Comic-Con to see what it was. Lol