Single Supplement- AI

Los_Pepes

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And what would Classic for 1, Wifi for 1 and Tips for 1 be if added separately?

Let's try it this way. Below is the cost of a cabin for a solo pax in an OV. Adding AI is $1,201 for a single passenger. Below that is the cost of adding AI for two in a cabin and adding  AI is $597pp. 

image.png.f07d1c9e938e96db34300a24b9899233.png

image.png

Edited by Los_Pepes

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The better comparison is what would you pay for it separately. 

I don't believe that to the case since AI is sold as a package and not A la carte, but I will play along. As of right now I am paying $1201 for drinks, WIFI and tips. If I bought them individually it would be $822.50. 

Just now, Los_Pepes said:

I don't believe that to the case since AI is sold as a package and not A la carte, but I will play along. As of right now I am paying $1201 for drinks, WIFI and tips. If I bought them individually it would be $822.50. 

OK, so for some reason it's weird pricing for you.

Your options are to just accept it, or cancel and find a vacation you'll be happy with.

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

OK, so for some reason it's weird pricing for you.

Your options are to just accept it, or cancel and find a vacation you'll be happy with.

I don't think you read all of the posts on this thread. I already accepted it and I am prepared to have a great time with my kids. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

No, I read. But you seem to keep dwelling on it.

Not quite. The last I post made was Over 24 hours ago and it read:

"Agreed on all fronts. At the end of the day the sky didn't fall. I simply lost $500. Things could be worse. Happy new year to you as well."

Today others brought this thread back to life and one specifically posted something that I felt needed a response. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Los_Pepes said:

1) I am not ticked off that they wouldn't change my booking. I am ticked off that I am out $500. 

2) How do you know who I have and haven't contacted? Just because I don't post something on here doesn't mean I haven't done it. Don't make assumptions.

3) Take my anger out of a cabin attendant? What are you talking about? I am trying to recoup money not penalize anyone. To your own admission, tips are pooled so the burden of my proposed withheld tips would be spread amongst the entire crew. Let's do some simple math for a moment. If a sailing has 2,000 passengers and each are billed $122.50 that would be $245,000 in tips to spread among the crew. If I withhold one of the four I am expected to pay, the tip pool $244,877.50. If 1,000 employees on the boat are tipped, each employee is losing out on $.12. 

You accused me earlier of arguing and actually I feel it is a form of projection as I have gone out my way to be gracious to those making suggestions. 

1)  You sure sounded ticked off to me that they wouldn't change your booking.

2)  I have no idea who you did or did not contact.

3)  I never said that the tips were pooled.  The cabin attendant gets X amount/day depending on what sort of cabin you have booked.  So, if you withhold the cabin attendant's tips, the cabin attendant is penalized.

It feels to me like you're arguing.  I'm done with this discussion.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 1

Most of us get frustrated when we do not thoroughly understand something, but once we get a handle on it by gaining more information, researching or whatever, we start to see the bigger picture.  Then, we make decisions on what to do next.  This is a learning process that takes a little time, but arrives at a fair understanding of what transpired.  I read all of the comments; some were quite antagonistic and assuming while others were on target and helpful, IMHO.  The bottom line is that the OP worked through it and came to a conclusion that made sense about this endeavor.  That is the way the thinking process works, not to mention the OP came here for help.  There is no need to have a huge sign on Cruise Critic that says "Bewared of Attack Comments, Insults and Assumptions."  Then again... 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Most of us get frustrated when we do not thoroughly understand something, but once we get a handle on it by gaining more information, researching or whatever, we start to understand.  Then, we make decisions on what to do next.  This is a learning process that takes a little time, but arrives at a fair understanding of what transpired.  I read all of the comments; some were quite antagonistic and assuming while others were on target and helpful, IMHO.  The bottom line is that the OP worked through it and came to a conclusion that made sense about this endeavor.  That is the way the thinking process works, not to mention the OP came here for help.  There is no need to have a huge sign on Cruise Critic that says "Bewared of Attack Comments, Insults and Assumptions."  Then again... 

I completely agree. The vast majority of comments were very helpful and helped contextualize my overall issue. I appreciate those who took the time to contribute.  

Edited by Los_Pepes

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Most of us get frustrated when we do not thoroughly understand something, but once we get a handle on it by gaining more information, researching or whatever, we start to see the bigger picture.  Then, we make decisions on what to do next.  This is a learning process that takes a little time, but arrives at a fair understanding of what transpired.  I read all of the comments; some were quite antagonistic and assuming while others were on target and helpful, IMHO.  The bottom line is that the OP worked through it and came to a conclusion that made sense about this endeavor.  That is the way the thinking process works, not to mention the OP came here for help.  There is no need to have a huge sign on Cruise Critic that says "Bewared of Attack Comments, Insults and Assumptions."  Then again... 

Completely agree.  I get the passion people feel in looking out for the crew and the people who take care of us when cruising and I think the OP said he would consider the information provided regarding the gratuities.  At the end of the day, should the OP decide to remove the gratuity from his account, it's completely within his right and he really doesn't need anyone else's approval to do so.

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

1)  You sure sounded ticked off to me that they wouldn't change your booking.

2)  I have no idea who you did or did not contact.

3)  I never said that the tips were pooled.  The cabin attendant gets X amount/day depending on what sort of cabin you have booked.  So, if you withhold the cabin attendant's tips, the cabin attendant is penalized.

It feels to me like you're arguing.  I'm done with this discussion.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

1)  You sure sounded ticked off to me that they wouldn't change your booking.- Not quite. I am actually more upset at myself and have repeatedly pointed to my own culpability in this situation . I was upset at the way I was spoken to by a supervisor. 

2)  I have no idea who you did or did not contact.- Exactly.. you don't. Which is when you said "But he has resisted our suggestion that he escalate his complaint to the CEO's office." You had no idea what you were talking about. 

3)  I never said that the tips were pooled.  The cabin attendant gets X amount/day depending on what sort of cabin you have booked.  So, if you withhold the cabin attendant's tips, the cabin attendant is penalized.- You didn't say in post #26 "FYI, @Los_Pepes, if you remove the gratuities from your kids' room and give the cabin attendant cash, he/she is obliged to turn the cash in to the pool." 

You offered to step away from this thread and I would appreciate it if you would. 

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Completely agree.  I get the passion people feel in looking out for the crew and the people who take care of us when cruising and I think the OP said he would consider the information provided regarding the gratuities.  At the end of the day, should the OP decide to remove the gratuity from his account, it's completely within his right and he really doesn't need anyone else's approval to do so.

Thanks for the note and help. It is bewildering to me. I literally said yesterday "You all make good points and I appreciate everyone's concern for the hard working crew. Let me think about other ways to cut costs out of this trip " and yet people are still wound up. 

• Like 1

@Los_Pepes Glad to see you are working this through. Just a note: There have been many reports that when auto gratuities are removed, the fault-finders at X will look for a reason and assume it is due to unsatisfactory service by the crew that has direct contact with the passenger.  This is one reason why I would be cautious about removing those--you don't know how or if that choice will have larger repercussions for you cabin attendant or MDR servers. ("People have reported..." is nebulous, of course, but we can assume the crew gets judged on all types of things. Withdrawn grats seems like a low-hanging fruit for supervisors trying to find something wrong.) (Incidentally, the extra drink package and wifi charge in your 2nd AI far exceed the extra grats.)

If I may, see if you can get an answer to a question not addressed here: If you pay twice, do you get 2 wifi connections? If you do, you can use the second one for a kid, and either they share that or you can save by buying only 1 for the second kid. 

Truth be told, I have screwed up lots of bookings and fares in my time, and always forgot about it eventually. I have no doubt you will, too, if you focus on the fun. Good sailing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

If I may, see if you can get an answer to a question not addressed here: If you pay twice, do you get 2 wifi connections? If you do, you can use the second one for a kid, and either they share that or you can save by buying only 1 for the second kid. 

Don’t know the official policy, but here is my experience on two cruises. On my Silhouette TA in Oct, I paid  the full single supplement with AI. When I signed in on Wi-Fi, I showed availability for two devices. I was able to be logged in on my phone and my iPad at the same time.

I was on Infinity in July with a partial solo supplement and AI- maybe 150%, not 200%. I only had access to one device. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Los_Pepes Glad to see you are working this through. Just a note: There have been many reports that when auto gratuities are removed, the fault-finders at X will look for a reason and assume it is due to unsatisfactory service by the crew that has direct contact with the passenger.  This is one reason why I would be cautious about removing those--you don't know how or if that choice will have larger repercussions for you cabin attendant or MDR servers. ("People have reported..." is nebulous, of course, but we can assume the crew gets judged on all types of things. Withdrawn grats seems like a low-hanging fruit for supervisors trying to find something wrong.) (Incidentally, the extra drink package and wifi charge in your 2nd AI far exceed the extra grats.)

Truth be told, I have screwed up lots of bookings and fares in my time, and always forgot about it eventually. I have no doubt you will, too, if you focus on the fun. Good sailing!

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I appreciate the insights. You make an excellent point about X looking for service touch points that might have been less than satisfactory and I certainly don't want to put anyone at risk. I am sort of over it at this point and am focusing on the positive aspects of the trip. I will ask about the WIFI connection once on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Straughn said:

Don’t know the official policy, but here is my experience on two cruises. On my Silhouette TA in Oct, I paid  the full single supplement with AI. When I signed in on Wi-Fi, I showed availability for two devices. I was able to be logged in on my phone and my iPad at the same time.

I was on Infinity in July with a partial solo supplement and AI- maybe 150%, not 200%. I only had access to one device. 

My two device addicted kids would love it if they had an extra WIFI device available! I will keep my fingers crossed.