Cheers Drink Package: To buy or not to buy

Mr.Stumpy

Just now, SRTcruisin said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm surprised they still do this with all the covid/environmental stuff the cruise lines have been doing.

Was just on the Spirit on December.  You wouldn't even know COVID was a thing.  I have multiple autoimmune disorders and wear a mask pretty regularly, but I think my wife and I were pretty much the only ones on the ship that did.

17 minutes ago, SRTcruisin said:

How do you add extra gratuity if wanted? (I usually bring cash with me but not always when Im at the pool). Looking at going on the Mardis Gras soon if that matters.

There is a line on the receipt to add a tip.  And all the servers accept cash.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got cheers on my last cruise and for me it was worth the price for a few reasons. 1) I like the espresso bar and those are included, 2) it's nice to be able to get the coconut waters, bottled waters and the gatorade and the milkshakes (which also add value) and 3) you don't have to shy away from the more expensive drinks, (there were some nice wines that were priced at $14 per glass as well as some really good cocktails at the alchemy bar that were around $12, and so you can have a few at dinner and get a lot of value out of the cheers package. And finally, 4) it's nice to not have to think about what you're spending while you're on vacation.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, get the Cheers package.  You save 10% if you pre-purchase and the worry of the cost  is taken care before you cruise.  You might not think you will get your money's worth if you just drink a few cocktails/beers/wine but when you add water, coffee, sports drinks, so forth, you'll be surprised how quickly it adds up. I am going on a girl's cruise and my three cruising mates have decided they are not going to get Cheers.  They say they will only have a drink or two and a maybe a glass of wine at dinner and possibly a iced coffee or milk shake or soda and bottled water of course. They are in for a surprised when they get their bill at the end of the cruise.  But hey, we all live and learn.

• Like 2

Lets simplify this whole calculator, is it wort it, BS...

Will you put away on average 10 cocktails or 13 beers a day, every day, for the entirety of your cruise? (or like a 5/7, 3/5 ratio, something close?

Then you'll get your money's worth from Cheers!, and the bonus of soda and other drinks in addition.

Always get a bottled water with every cocktail you order, take it back to your room, save it for later.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ibarrio said:

You can also drink the top shelf stuff without worries. Blanton's and Eagle Rare or the good tequila...it's covered. I plan on killing their supply of Blanton's and Eagles Rare on my next cruise (June) 

Where on the ship? From what I've seen, the best bourbon choices are only at pig and anchor, and unfortunately the ship we're going on doesn't have it on it.  Not sure what other decent bourbons I can find.

To OP- Length of cruise and amount your spouse drinks factors in. If its a long cruise, are you really going to drink enough every day to break even? Or, maybe you can break even but your spouse won't.  My wife and I did it our first 5 day cruise today and it worked out well. This time we will have our smaller kids and its a 7 day, and we definitely aren't getting.

24 minutes ago, 1019throw said:

Where on the ship? From what I've seen, the best bourbon choices are only at pig and anchor, and unfortunately the ship we're going on doesn't have it on it.  Not sure what other decent bourbons I can find.

To OP- Length of cruise and amount your spouse drinks factors in. If its a long cruise, are you really going to drink enough every day to break even? Or, maybe you can break even but your spouse won't.  My wife and I did it our first 5 day cruise today and it worked out well. This time we will have our smaller kids and its a 7 day, and we definitely aren't getting.

Pig and Anchor, The Steakhouse,  and Alchemy bar. The Panorama Bar located in the Atrium has a good selection. Havana Bar and RedFrog have the better Rums. BlueIguana will also have the topshelf tequila. I guess it does depend on the ship but I would check here https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing/

I just think simply:

4 drinks a day + 4 bottles of water a day + 2 specialty coffees a day = break even for me. 

my day (bottle of water w most drink orders)

morn:

1 coffee

1 morning drink (Bloody Mary?)

afternoon:

1 coffee

1 afternoon drink (Old Fashioned w Woodford Reserve)

dinner:

2 glasses wine (the palatable ones are 14ish)

evening or throughout day:

bonus beverages (beyond break-even)

no worries about cost 

typically port days are at a minimum break even, sea days are bonus. 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:15 PM, SRTcruisin said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm surprised they still do this with all the covid/environmental stuff the cruise lines have been doing.

It is quite the waste of paper.  I always use my own pen to sign. Did that LONG before COVID. Who knows what icky stuff is on there? For a time, years ago, you didn’t have to sign.  The first time we got our kids the bubbles pkg they didn’t have to sign anything, the next time they did.  I suspect it is because many more people will leave a tip when signing as opposed to just walking away.  

On 1/8/2023 at 11:48 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

DO NOT BUY!!!

At the end of the cruise, add up all of your drink charges that would have been included. Compare that number to the cost of Cheers. If it is less, you saved. If it is more you lost.

Our next cruise (first Carnival cruise) is for five people in two cabins, for fourteen days. $4200 to buy Cheers ahead of time! My idea is to tell our guests, as well as my husband, that we are trying to reach that number (!) just to see for next time.

Just off HAL on a B2B. LOVE the little slips of paper; added a dollar every-other slip and didn't have to carry currency or run around on the last day looking for favorite servers to give larger sums to.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:51 PM, ibarrio said:

You can also drink the top shelf stuff without worries. Blanton's and Eagle Rare or the good tequila...it's covered. I plan on killing their supply of Blanton's and Eagles Rare on my next cruise (June) 

I am not a Cheers guy. However, I was pleased to see all of the Blanton's. That certainly increased the value for me. Maybe on a 4 day I will do it.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:15 PM, blueneostang said:

Will you put away on average 10 cocktails or 13 beers a day, every day, for the entirety of your cruise? (or like a 5/7, 3/5 ratio, something close?

Then you'll get your money's worth from Cheers!, and the bonus of soda and other drinks in addition.

Always get a bottled water with every cocktail you order, take it back to your room, save it for later.

Or you could use the drink calculator posted frequently

Since this is a Cheers topic, I will ask this here since a search of the forums brings up a lot of non-related posts...

Got Cheers for the first time for my upcoming cruise.  I know there is a 15 drink/day limit.  Does anyone know if non-alcoholic beer goes against the limit?  Since I typically do not drink liquor, on a sea day it would not be unheard of me to possibly drink 15 beers over a 12 hour span and not be buzzed.  I enjoy the taste of beer so I could supplement it with non-alcoholic beer as long as it doesn't count against the limit.  I know zero-proof frozen drinks and such do not, but nowhere could I find non-alcoholic beer.

I have no questions on if it will be worth the price, as between beer, coffees, milkshakes, etc, yes I will get my money's worth.

Also, if people are interested in the latest drink offerings, you may find this site helpful as it breaks down the menus to each bar on ships, and will tell you which ships have that bar: https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing/

Then you'll get your money's worth from Cheers!

Except you don't need to drink anywhere near that much.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 7:32 AM, ishap said:

Since this is a Cheers topic, I will ask this here since a search of the forums brings up a lot of non-related posts...

Got Cheers for the first time for my upcoming cruise.  I know there is a 15 drink/day limit.  Does anyone know if non-alcoholic beer goes against the limit?  Since I typically do not drink liquor, on a sea day it would not be unheard of me to possibly drink 15 beers over a 12 hour span and not be buzzed.  I enjoy the taste of beer so I could supplement it with non-alcoholic beer as long as it doesn't count against the limit.  I know zero-proof frozen drinks and such do not, but nowhere could I find non-alcoholic beer.

I have no questions on if it will be worth the price, as between beer, coffees, milkshakes, etc, yes I will get my money's worth.

Also, if people are interested in the latest drink offerings, you may find this site helpful as it breaks down the menus to each bar on ships, and will tell you which ships have that bar: https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing/

Non alcoholic drinks do not count against your 15 count so drink as many soda, water, coffee, energy drinks, milkshakes etc you want😉

On 1/27/2023 at 10:32 AM, ishap said:

Does anyone know if non-alcoholic beer goes against the limit? 

8 minutes ago, cacruisin said:

Non alcoholic drinks do not count against your 15 count so drink as many soda, water, coffee, energy drinks, milkshakes etc you want😉

The poster is worried that non-alcoholic beer will somehow not be classified as a non-alcoholic drink (because it says "beer"), and will count towards the limit.

ishap: it shouldn't count.  But I do not see any specific reference to it one way or the other, so I understand your hesitation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

Except you don't need to drink anywhere near that much.

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

If you're considering that you're generally paying for the 2 people, then it is pretty close.

The top poster I quoted did not specific one person or two or four - they said "will you", not "will both of you, in toto".  So they should have specified if they meant more than one drinker.  I certainly assumed they meant per person.

I know some light drinkers.  Cheers is not for them - two drinks at dinner and another as a nightcap is their limit.  Moderate drinkers on a shorter cruise will generally benefit from it, especially if they exercise the specialty coffees and other N/A drinks.

Some moderate drinkers will not benefit on a longer cruise, because after three days of having 8 or 9 drinks, they back off, or they drink at the ports, or...yadda yadda yadda.

For those of us "in good drinking shape" then even an 8-day cruise is worthwhile to have Cheers.  Our last 8-day cruise had three ports.  Even on the port days we hit at least 10 drinks each.  Plus a couple of specialty non-alcoholic coffees and a few waters per day.

There are a myriad reasons why Cheers will or won't work for any particular person.  One of these days I'll decide that I don't need a drink in my hand most of the time while on board.  Today is not that day...

• Like 6

On 12/30/2022 at 8:10 PM, bandjwayne said:

I use the Cheers package as an opportunity to try new drinks.  If I don't like something I simply don't drink it & don't feel bad about it.  Sounds like you could take advantage of the same situation.  Mixing your own drinks isn't as easy/relaxing as ordering from a bar.  I also like knowing exactly how much I'm spending...Cheers allows my mind to stay calmer & that helps make vacation more relaxing.  

This is why I plan on purchasing it.  I like trying new drinks plus don't want to worry about how much I'm spending on the cruise

• Like 3

On 1/25/2023 at 3:00 AM, jus4fun said:

If you can afford it, get the Cheers package.  You save 10% if you pre-purchase and the worry of the cost  is taken care before you cruise.  You might not think you will get your money's worth if you just drink a few cocktails/beers/wine but when you add water, coffee, sports drinks, so forth, you'll be surprised how quickly it adds up. I am going on a girl's cruise and my three cruising mates have decided they are not going to get Cheers.  They say they will only have a drink or two and a maybe a glass of wine at dinner and possibly a iced coffee or milk shake or soda and bottled water of course. They are in for a surprised when they get their bill at the end of the cruise.  But hey, we all live and learn.

I'm going on a girls cruise in Nov.  The girl I was going to room with doesn't want the drink package bc she doesn't think she will drink enough.  But I decided to get my own room for various reasons.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, 1019throw said:

This is a very good point.  I don't think my mom will drink enough for her portion to break even.  But I will drink more than the amount needed to break even so I think overall we will still come out to make it worth it.  Or at least break even.  She will drink coffees and water and maybe 2 or 3 drinks a day.  I will more than likely drink more than 8 a day.